Pen Engineer

Around 1980, I worked for a pen manufacturer, as designer and ingeneer, in Germany. During this time I got a good insight into the function of fountain pens and other pens and their manufacture.

Thirty odd years later, fountain pens still fascinate me. I started a web site titled Fountain Pen Magic. You can / will find there all sorts of interesting things relating to technology, function and manufacture, as much as I can remember.

The link to my site is https://fountainpend....wordpress.com/

I am happy to discuss any question you may have on those topics.

Amadeus W. Penmacher

Ingeneer

PS: In case you wonder about my spelling of ingeneer…

https://ingenioust.w...ling-etymology/

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

visit Fountain Pen Design

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen Engineer

• Drone

• RMN

• Pickwick

I like your spelling Ingeneer, however in my country the term Ingenieur (Ir. or Ing.) is an official title that requires a certain diploma.

I think the English "engineer" would be used for a designer of things, a machine-engineer, a software-engineer...

However, you are most welcome to visit the "it writes, but it is not a fountain pen...." forum. Often questions come up about the workings and design of ballpoints, rollerballs etc.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I like your spelling Ingeneer, however in my country the term Ingenieur (Ir. or Ing.) is an official title that requires a certain diploma.

I think the English "engineer" would be used for a designer of things, a machine-engineer, a software-engineer...

However, you are most welcome to visit the "it writes, but it is not a fountain pen...." forum. Often questions come up about the workings and design of ballpoints, rollerballs etc.

D.ick

yes, I agree, and since I have worked hard for my degrees, I would like to promote the distinction between the machinist and the ingeneer, he, who is ingenious!

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

Great website

Thanks

Bobby

Hi Bobby

would you have some time to give me some feedback?

I am wondering a bit in the dark.

what's missing? any questions? I know I love writing about it and get carried away sometimes... are the explanations to long-winded?

Thanks

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

Engineer here, too. Interesting take on the spelling. For my part, I notice the distinction between what most of the world calls 'engineer' and its more broad usage here in the UK since I've moved here. I guess there's a historical reason for that. I think it's ok to recognize the difference for the sake of clarity and, in some cases, the public interest but it's important to do it humbly. 'Engineers' who design airplanes and 'engineers' who fix radiators are different, but neither is better nor less essential than the other when it comes to the communal good.

First, your name is backwards: for Mozart, it was W(olfgang) Amadeus. If it was good enough for him ....

Second, I formerly worked for a company called Ingenuity, a subsidiary of Verizon, which allowed us to go bankrupt. They, too, wanted to distinguish their creativity with the name. The company sold dark fiber optic cable; nothing ingenious about that, and the only creativity I saw was in some of the sales forecasts!

I have looked at your site. First, I concur completely in your admiration of Rick Conner's work. He, and the late Michael Fultz, were among early writers on fountain pens, and their contributions are missed.

I live in Texas - have for 25 years - and reside in a town about halfway between DFW Airport and Fort Worth. There is an expression used hereabouts: Big Hat, No Cattle. It means that the individual being so described often has a grander image of himself than his knowledge warrants. There are, however, some good writers around - I enjoy Tom Westerich and David Nishimura especially.

Some of your efforts are redundant (see, e.g., John Mottishaw at nibs.com describe the components of a fountain pen). I do NOT think that repetitive is a bad thing - sometimes a nuance can open way to a new understanding. The choice of words can, too. I would encourage you to share your knowledge, please. Too many of today's "experts" play "me to know, you to find out." In my eyes, it diminishes them, and doesn't help those who need it.

Keep up your efforts. I'll look for them.

Paul Bloch

Hi father of a new puppy

First: The page "components of ..." is meant as an opening page to give readers a quick lead to what they are interested in. Especially for readers, whose first language is NOT English... there are some of us around the globe.

Second: Germany is not a state of the US of A.

Third: The other 20 pages are based on my experience.

Fourth: You may need to make an effort and look hard to find them

Anything good to say about the site?

Have you got any cattle?

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

Engineer here, too. Interesting take on the spelling. For my part, I notice the distinction between what most of the world calls 'engineer' and its more broad usage here in the UK since I've moved here. I guess there's a historical reason for that. I think it's ok to recognize the difference for the sake of clarity and, in some cases, the public interest but it's important to do it humbly. 'Engineers' who design airplanes and 'engineers' who fix radiators are different, but neither is better nor less essential than the other when it comes to the communal good.

I agree with your last statement. In this aspect we should all be equally important. My focus was on making an everyday distinction in a word, rather a sentence. Did it come across this way?

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

Hi father of a new puppy

First: The page "components of ..." is meant as an opening page to give readers a quick lead to what they are interested in. Especially for readers, whose first language is NOT English... there are some of us around the globe.

Second: Germany is not a state of the US of A.

Third: The other 20 pages are based on my experience.

Fourth: You may need to make an effort and look hard to find them

Anything good to say about the site?

Have you got any cattle?

??? Is this in response to a post in this topic? I can't really follow it??

D.ick

~

~

??? Is this in response to a post in this topic? I can't really follow it??

D.ick

Hi D.ick

yes it is. I forgot to press the "quote" button.

It is a response to Paul Bloch's post from 12th of April...

Thanks of following this page.

My wish would be to have technical conversations on my site. It is nice to find appreciation, conversations would support my work and give me some guidance of what readers want to know and to what degree.

I also like and agree with the quote at the bottom of your post window.

Edited by Pen Engineer

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

Interesting site, I quite enjoyed reading around in it. My opinions are not worth much though.

On 'breather holes' you mention that they are something to do with marking the end of the nib slit. However, there are many nibs made both now and historically that have no such hole. So I wonder where your idea comes from, if you don't mind the impertinence of the question. Nibs seem to work equally well with them as without.

Hi D.ick

yes it is. I forgot to press the "quote" button.

It is a response to Paul Bloch's post from 12th of April...

Thanks of following this page.

My wish would be to have technical conversations on my site. It is nice to find appreciation, conversations would support my work and give me some guidance of what readers want to know and to what degree.

I also like and agree with the quote at the bottom of your post window.

So how must we see the sentence:

Hi father of a new puppy

I saw no reference to dogs there...

???

D.ick

~

~

I agree with your last statement. In this aspect we should all be equally important. My focus was on making an everyday distinction in a word, rather a sentence. Did it come across this way?

I didn't take it one way or the other but am aware of my own failings in the past when it comes to making the distinction without coming across as condescending, which I don't intend to. I'm from Canada originally and the governing body of engineers there is militant when it comes to the use of the word. Use the term 'engineer' in a job title or advertisement without being a registered liscence holder and you'll get a 'cease and desist' letter citing the relevant Act and threatening litigation in very short order. I suppose they are sucessful in achieving their intentions.

Here's one for you, though: we both obviously have an affinity to fountain pens and believe them to be interesting from a technology point of view. Why, then, have I worked with hundreds of engineers (maybe thousands) and have not seen another one use a fountain pen? Weird, huh?

So how must we see the sentence:

Hi father of a new puppy

I saw no reference to dogs there...

???

D.ick

That's th comment above his "picture"

:)

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

I didn't take it one way or the other but am aware of my own failings in the past when it comes to making the distinction without coming across as condescending, which I don't intend to. I'm from Canada originally and the governing body of engineers there is militant when it comes to the use of the word. Use the term 'engineer' in a job title or advertisement without being a registered liscence holder and you'll get a 'cease and desist' letter citing the relevant Act and threatening litigation in very short order. I suppose they are sucessful in achieving their intentions.

Here's one for you, though: we both obviously have an affinity to fountain pens and believe them to be interesting from a technology point of view. Why, then, have I worked with hundreds of engineers (maybe thousands) and have not seen another one use a fountain pen? Weird, huh?

Originally, I am from Germany, where ingeneers are called Ingenieur. It is a title and protected... and the others:are called mechanics or technicians, depending on qualifications

Ingeneers and fountain pens....Hmmmm....

Perhaps, if we look at you and me and (beside of fountain pens) find any other similarities?

I like the idea.

Did you have a look at any of my other websites? "Smile" and "Muses kiss me" can tell you more about me. You find the links at the bottom of my fountain pen site.

The symbol, is this a code of armour?

Thanks for the conversation.

Ciao

Edited by Pen Engineer

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

I'll check out your websites.

The symbol is one I asked my brother to draw for me (he's an Architect and dabbles in logo design):

- cross hatching is reminicent of the family coat of arms (or, at least the COA of those more famous than me who share the family name)

- shape is a cod fish that has been split for drying (symbolic of Newfoundland, where I hail from)

- 30460 is actually 'thirty-for-sixty', the maximum bet it a card game called 'Growl', again from Newfoundland

I'm thinking of having a seal created depicting it and getting some wax...

My secrets revealed!

Have to admit, I had to look where Newfoundland is. Looks beautiful and cold. How come, the flag in your post is English?

a codfish... didn't work that out, but I can see it now the 30-4-60, I didn't notice, only after I enlarged it.

jeeee.. the secret!

a seal, great idea.

I am a bit of a creative person and only a few days ago an image, like a logo, came to me. I have a bit of an idea what it could be, but I thought I keep quiet for a while and wait what people say. I put it on all my web sites.

I tried to show it here, but admin does not permit.

Once you had a look at one of my sites, let me know, what do you think?

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

Interesting site, I quite enjoyed reading around in it. My opinions are not worth much though.

On 'breather holes' you mention that they are something to do with marking the end of the nib slit. However, there are many nibs made both now and historically that have no such hole. So I wonder where your idea comes from, if you don't mind the impertinence of the question. Nibs seem to work equally well with them as without.

Thanks for your question

It has to do with manufacturing, slitting the nib. The length of the slit determines the softness of the nib. In the old days, slitting was already enough of a problem. The length of the slit would have added to inaccuracies. Having a hole, provides a definite end. Whether the slit is a bit to the left or right hardly any effect.

Hole or not, in principle, has no importance.

My idea comes from having being involved in nib (fountain pen) manufacture. When things did not work, it was my job. I enjoyed it.

Thank you again. I will have a read through that passage and will try to make it clearer.

I love your logo. Would you tell me, what it means to you and what the symbols around it mean?

Edited by Pen Engineer

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2