Heritage Collection - Rouge Et Noir Special Edition

Sampanel

Gorgeous set. My only issue, and it is MY issue, is that I dislike touching metal when I am writing. May have to pick this set up anyway. :rolleyes:

I do love the fact that MB is paying attention! They have needed to reintroduce some of their more iconic designs for years IMO.

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pravda

• Sampanel

• mjchuang9

• daenghafez

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gorgeous set. My only issue, and it is MY issue, is that I dislike touching metal when I am writing. May have to pick this set up anyway. :rolleyes:

I do love the fact that MB is paying attention! They have needed to reintroduce some of their more iconic designs for years IMO.

:D

Actually, between the first ideas, the final production model(s), testing, etc., setting up and ramping up production, and actual production, when everything is done in house, easily takes 2 to 5 years, also depending on legal issues. Once something like this is in motion, it may go more quickly, hence the relatively short period between 1912, 1914 and R&N models.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

It is a small little fellow! I imagined it be at least like the Heritage 1912 in girth, but it's more like 145 in dimensions albeit taller than the Heritage 1912.

Was going to get the black lacquer but jmccarty3 sent me a pic of his coral and that did the trick :)

Didn't like the rubber/ebonite version though. It was too faded I felt, not very eye catchy upon first impression. I liked the black but the silver ring at the end of the barrel had me hesitate.

attachicon.gifIMG_4336.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4337.jpg

Congratulations on the beautiful pen! I'm thinking about picking up the coral version myself.

Great pics! I was in to drop off my M (loose clip) and had reserved a black one...

What your pics don't capture is how TINY and SLENDER the pen is... I have huge hands (palm a basketball), and pen felt like this feminine little thing! Especially with a resin cap...

Great design, but I passed... Your pics however, are STUNNING! I LOVE that case

I did a blind buy on mine. It'll be in next week. Based on the comparison pics it looks like dimensionally it's similar to a Pelikan 400nn in girth. I too have gigantic hands. I've never complained about the size of my smaller Pelikans. I know it's no 146 but I doubt I'd compare it to feminine looking. I can't wait to get mine.

fpn_1460214592__img_4777.jpg

Just got the 1906 edition made by ebonite. It is matte black with antique feeling and lighter than resin version. I prefer M recently so not yet decide to nib exchange.

That is beautiful! I can't imagine paying $1800 for the ebonite version, so I'll have to stick to the lacquer. But that is beautiful!

That is beautiful! I can't imagine paying $1800 for the ebonite version, so I'll have to stick to the lacquer. But that is beautiful!

They know the human psychology and the luxury market too well. The special editions are for us average joes and the limited ones are obviously for people for whom paying the extra $1000 to feel different and special is not much of an issue- and there are truck-loads of those more privileged people.

Just got the 1906 edition made by ebonite. It is matte black with antique feeling and lighter than resin version. I prefer M recently so not yet decide to nib exchange.

Thank you for sharing !! Is the size similar to the special version? It would be great if you can provide a comparison photo, many thanks !!

All 3 pens are identical in size.

Actually the ebonite version photographs quite well; in person, the black lacquer special version looked more 'rich' to the eye.

They know the human psychology and the luxury market too well. The special editions are for us average joes and the limited ones are obviously for people for whom paying the extra $1000 to feel different and special is not much of an issue- and there are truck-loads of those more privileged people.

Too true and well said. Montblanc hasn't been in business this long without knowing how to market and place their products to certain target audiences. That being said, I can't imagine paying that much for a mass produced pen. I paid almost that much for my Romillo Nervion, but that was entirely hand made. I paid the same price for my Hakase African Ebony Fountain pen, but that was handmade as well.

All 3 pens are identical in size.

Actually the ebonite version photographs quite well; in person, the black lacquer special version looked more 'rich' to the eye.

Thank you ! Originally I thought it would be larger. In that case I prefer buying another coral version.

Thank you ! Originally I thought it would be larger. In that case I prefer buying another coral version.

That's the one I went for ;)

I just inked up my Coral version with MB Royal Blue. It writes like a dream. Pravda, no concerns on my part about the security of the cap screwing onto the pen. It also fits well into a shirt pocket. Looks great!

fpn_1460298378__img_4780.jpg

I decided to change the nib to B so I have to wait 3 months. The section is also metal but have a black coating on it that is more compatible. You can see the screw is also different from the regular version , there are more turns on it. The shiny lacquered regular version is heavier but well balanced and the ebonite is light and unique with vintage feel.

Edited by mjchuang9

How does the nib on this feel? I prefer the bigger nib of the 149, but this pen seems to have a more useable form factor. I've heard that this nib has some flex to it that could be described as springy? Is that accurate?

MB said this nib affords a soft writing sensation but I would rather say springy. Since I sent back for the nib exchange for B, I didn't have a chance to write the two tone 18k nib. Of course the 149 is great , yet this heritage nib would give you some very pleasant writing experience.

Thank you mjchuang9 for your assessment! I hope you enjoy your new ebonite Montblanc Heritage Rouge et Noir in good health :). I'm jealous as I will have to "settle" for the coral lacquer version :).

The14k nib on the lacquered version performs very well so as the heritage 1912. Hope you enjoy your coral too.

I just inked up my Coral version with MB Royal Blue. It writes like a dream. Pravda, no concerns on my part about the security of the cap screwing onto the pen. It also fits well into a shirt pocket. Looks great!

I figured if I securely twist it closed its just fine, as should be. I just had a habit maybe to 'just close' it in order to not wear the threads on the long term. While that works for other pens, in this one it's easy for cap to twist off with minimal effort. So.. noted :)

Does someone have the specifications on this?

I can't find info about the length and diameter, I would like to have some numbers, I don't have a MB Heritage at hand to compare it to.