DECCAN ADVOCATE

The review is simultaneously at my blog here.

Deccan Pens have been into existence since 1928 when they opened first outlet in Hyderabad at Abids and has been one of the oldest fountain pen manufacturing company in India. The firm was started by Sabih Akhter Siddiqui who used to sell fountain pens door to door with the help of DURO agency which used to produce fountain pens in 1920’s. Today Deccan Pens has 32 year old manufacturing unit and they only make fountain pens. The review is simultaneously at my blog here.

They have now 3 stores at Secunderabad, Ameerpet, and oldest one at Abids.

Deccan Pens have been covered and reviewed lot by HARI, SHRUJYA, & JAISIRI.

And this particular review is about one of the largest selling pen from Deccan stable which is “DECCAN ADVOCATE". There have been lot of iterations of Deccan Advocate over many years.

img_20160312_153400-01.jpeg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – In the Wild

I must thank Rakshit who lives in Hyderabad and he helped me in getting this pen. He also is a fountain pen connoisseur and you can check his blog here. I got this pen almost 7-8 months back and have been using this only for past 2 months. So the review is about my experience with the pen for past 2 months.

DESIGN & BUILT : 05/05

Deccan Pens are notable for impeccable built quality and this Deccan Advocate again stamps their authority of quality built pens.

Advocate currently comes in two variants : Round End and Flat End. The model that I am reviewing is the Round end one in green ripple colour and I was told that it is difficult to get hold of the round end advocate and I was lucky enough to get this one.

img_20160312_152815-01.jpeg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – In Broad Day Light

The pen is made of high quality ebonite and is available in black, matte black , mottled brown, rippled brown and green ripple and also olive brown ripple.

My pen is extremely well made though it was religiously inspected by Rakshit before he bought this one. The ebonite has no perforations its solid without any specks and perforations. The quality of rod is really great.

img_20160312_152559-01.jpeg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate

The pen is a simple and elegant cigar shaped pen with slight tapering towards the bottom end. There are no bands or trims used on this pen. Only metal part or thing you will see on the pen is clip apart from the nib.

The pen is very well executed and polished though you might see some marks just below the threads which is due to cap being capped and uncapped regularly and has not received thorough cleaning and polish from my side.

The grip section is made of same ebonite material and is in concave shape. The length of grip section is 22 mm and this I beleive is quite good as it helps in good grip on the pen.

img_20160312_153724.jpg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – Capped

img_20160312_153654.jpg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – Uncapped

img_20160312_153749-01.jpeg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – Round Ends

The pen cap opens in 6 turns which I am not happy with but its still acceptable as most of the Indian pens take almost around 5 to 6 turns to open.

The cap has chrome finish clip which gives you a look of look of something between matt and polished finish but it is not polished with some sorts of coating.

img_20160312_154406-01.jpeg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – Cap Clip

img_20160312_154433-01.jpeg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – Cap Clip Side View

The cap clip narrows down to bottom and is quite sturdy and can easily fit in to shirt pocket firmly.

img_20160312_153803-01.jpeg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – Inner View of Cap

The thickness of ebonite is thinnest near the bottom of the cap or what we call as cap lip which you can see in above picture. As the cap tapers at the bottom but it is still sturdy.

Below are the few images showing the comparison of pen with other pens:

img_20160312_152255-01.jpeg?w=1000

Deccan Advoate vs Lamy Safari vs Jinhao X750 – Capped

img_20160312_152423-01.jpeg?w=1000

Deccan Advoate vs Lamy Safari vs Jinhao X750 – Uncapped

img_20160312_152323-01.jpeg?w=1000

Deccan Advoate vs Lamy Safari vs Jinhao X750 – Capped (Lateral Side View)

Overall, its a beautiful, cigar shaped elegant pen which has impeccable built quality. Its a quality finish from Hyderabad. Yeah I must tell you that there is no branding of any kind on pen anywhere be it clip or nib or even barrel.

BALANCE & SIZE : 3.5/05

The pen is around 140 mm including the nib when uncapped and I don’t see any reason to post the cap at back and also I prefer to write with cap unposted. The pen is very much balanced when writing unposted but becomes bottom heavy when cap is posted at back, moreover it becomes uncomfortable at 184 mm when cap is posted at back, thus it is unbalanced. The pen length is 155 mm when it is capped.

Below are the images showing the comparison when writing posted and unposted :

img_20160312_154532-011.jpeg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – Writing Unposted

img_20160312_154550-01.jpeg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – Writing Posted

What I find most comfortable about the pen is the grip section which is at 9 mm and is in conical shape. It provides perfect grip. The length of grip section is also substantial at 22 mm.

The pen weighs around 30 gm with cap and around 20 gm without cap (with ink filled).

img_20160312_155250.jpg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – Weight of pen with cap

img_20160312_155328.jpg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – Weight of pen without cap

Few specifications are as follows:

• Length capped: 155 mm
  • Length uncapped and posted : 184 mm
  • Length uncapped and unposted : 140mm
  • Length of grip section : 22 mm
  • Barrel Dia Avg – 14 mm
  • Cap Dia – 16 mm
  • Section Dia (Avg) : 9 mm
  • Weight with cap : 30.4 gm
  • Weight without cap : 20.53 gm

NIB & INK FILLING MECHANISM : 04/05

Nib currently being used on this pen is 35 mm (#6) Gold Finish Steel Nib and this is a stock nib and there was no other option of the nib on this pen. The nib is famous ambitious fine nib which is friction fit and it writes very well and is paired with good wet ebonite feed. Ink flow is quite good.

img_20160312_154031-01.jpeg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – Nib Unit Top View

img_20160312_154103-01.jpeg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – Nib Unit Side View

img_20160312_154126-01.jpeg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – Nib Unit Underside View

The nib is set just a bit inside more, thus what you see is less of 35 mm nib because the grip section is bit flared up as visible from image below.

img_20160312_153026-01.jpeg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – Nib set inside deep

The filling mechanism is via eyedropper and it holds approx 3 ml of ink. It has not burped on me even once.

img_20160312_153904-01.jpeg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – Eyedropper Fill Mechanism

Below are the images of my handwritten review which shows you the writing sample:

20160330080416_00001.jpg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – Handwritten Review – Page 01

20160330080416_00002.jpg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – Handwritten Review – Page 02

20160330080416_00003.jpg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – Handwritten Review – Page 03

CONCLUSION : 12.5/15

I recommend everyone to have at least one Deccan Pen and buying ADVOCATE is the best pen to get hold of at reasonable price of otherwise expensive Deccan Pens. Well yeah i did not like the combination of chrome clip with gold finish nib.

I bought this pen for Rs. 1000 (approx 16 usd) which does not include shipping as it was bought by my friend who paid for Shipping.

What I Like:

1. Classic Cigar Design
  2. Well Finished
  3. Very Good Quality Ebonite
  4. Lot of Ink Capacity

What I don’t Like:

1. Eyedropper only
  2. Only one nib option
  3. Combination of Silver chrome clip with Gold color nib

closeup.jpg?w=1000

Deccan Advocate – Close Up

Comments and feedback are welcome.

Regards

Vaibhav Mehandiratta

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• J_MM

• amk

• DrDebG

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pen. Even more remarkble, a well behaved eyedropper!

On a bit of a tangent; it would be interesting to know a little about the Indian ebonite makers and where pen makers are getting their supplies from. Does the standard of ebonite vary markedly from one to another?

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Nice pen. Even more remarkble, a well behaved eyedropper!

On a bit of a tangent; it would be interesting to know a little about the Indian ebonite makers and where pen makers are getting their supplies from. Does the standard of ebonite vary markedly from one to another?

Well sometimes I agree the ebonite varies from seller to seller... or maybe even batch to batch.... regular colour ebonites are manufactured in India only.

Last year I met one of the sellers in Delhi who only deals in ebonite. He showed me variety of rods. Some had discolouration, some were chalky and were more meant for industrial use. However he also shared with me rod samples which were used in cigars which were of high quality and probably these are also used by pen sellers across India and yes it varies from region to region.

And yes regular colour ebonite rods are made within India and Premium colour that Ranga has are import from Germany/Japan.

vaibhav mehandiratta

Thanks for the review. So how does an international buyer purchase one of these great pens?

Hari here sells lot of deccan pens on fpn. You can get in touch with him. Apart from that the deccan pen can be contacted via whatsapp over the mobile.. Contact is given in review with link to address and phone no.

vaibhav mehandiratta

Excellent review! I must agree with your. The clip just gives the impression of being stuck on the pen. It would be so much more elegant with any clip. For your stunning green ripple, perhaps a black shiny finished clip would have been better or a gold finish.

I do appreciate you effort to post such an excellent review and images. Thank you!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Nice review Vaibhav,. even I have the same round ended Advocate in black body with gold trim which I bought few months back but yet to be used.I think this is the first time they have made round ended advocate. There was a round advocate once the cap of which was made of steel.

Thanks for the review once again..I just can't wait to fill it up with ink.

Edited by Sagarb

Sagar Bhowmick

Excellent review! I must agree with your. The clip just gives the impression of being stuck on the pen. It would be so much more elegant with any clip. For your stunning green ripple, perhaps a black shiny finished clip would have been better or a gold finish.

I do appreciate you effort to post such an excellent review and images. Thank you!

Thank you for liking the review... these clips are mass manufactured ... and yeah gold clip would look amazing with green ripple

Nice review Vaibhav,. even I have the same round ended Advocate in black body with gold trim which I bought few months back but yet to be used.I think this is the first time they have made round ended advocate. There was a round advocate once the cap of which was made of steel.

Thanks for the review once again..I just can't wait to fill it up with ink.

well when i heard from them round end are made few.. as compare to flat end.. and these round ones get sold out early... yeah i remember the steel cap one...

thank you for liking the review..

vaibhav mehandiratta

Love this review and pictures. Drool quality for sure.

Hmm...now I'm curious about this Deccan brand even though the design is similar / close to other pens.

Still, I like that classic design :)

Maybe a contender for future group buys, you think?

:P what you think of me is none of my business ;)

Love this review and pictures. Drool quality for sure.

Hmm...now I'm curious about this Deccan brand even though the design is similar / close to other pens.

Still, I like that classic design :)

Maybe a contender for future group buys, you think?

Thank you for going through the review..

Deccan produces quality product.. And have been one of the oldest fountain pen manufacturer in India...

Even though some of their pens are expensive.. But this one was worth the price..

Group buy.. Hmmm.. Well I won't promise.. But surely can try..

vaibhav mehandiratta