fpn_1459139869__japanese_papers_shootout

fpn_1459139883__japanese_papers_shootout

fpn_1459139897__japanese_papers_shootout

fpn_1459139911__japanese_papers_shootout

fpn_1459138644__apica.jpg

fpn_1459138692__kokuyo.jpg

fpn_1459138733__kyokuto-lihit.jpg

fpn_1459138774__maruman-naka.jpg

Notes - Having produced a nicely formatted article in LibreOffice Writer, I found that the only way to transfer that to the FPN without losing the formatting was to save the pages as JPG, and attach the images.

The photos of the products are arranged alphabetically as they are first mentioned, so you know what to look for if you want to get any of the products.

I will try to add some scans of representative bleeding and feathering examples.

Edited by dcwaites

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcwaites

• jmccarty3

• amberleadavis

• migo984

Ok, here are photographs of samples of feathering and bleeding to let you know what the numbers in the results look like.

Feathering

fpn_1459144821__tomoeriverfeather0.jpg

Tomoe River - Feathering level 0

fpn_1459144840__apicanotebookfeather1.jp

Apica Notebook - Feathering level 1

fpn_1459144860__kokuyocampusnotebookfeat

Kokuyo Campus Notebook - Feathering level 2

Bleeding

fpn_1459144880__tomoeriverbleed0.jpg

Tomoe River - Bleeding level 0

fpn_1459144901__apicabasicsbleed1.jpg

Apica Basics - Bleeding level 1

fpn_1459144928__marumanrefillbleed3.jpg

Maruman Refill - Bleeding level 3

fpn_1459144945__kyokutoepedientbleed4.jp

Kyokuto F64 Expedient - Bleeding level 4

As usual, click on any image to see it full size.

Edited by dcwaites

Granny Aching

Thank you for the review. It would be great to see scans of the pages you tested. I really like Maruman's "Smooth to Write" refill line and I am surprised it did so poorly.

I have noticed for some time that the Maruman refill paper was not quite as good as the Kokuyo Campus refill equivalent, across a range of wetter inks and/or pens. As I said, it works quite nicely if you are using a drier ink (Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue, Sheaffer Skrip Blue, Parker Penman Sapphire) or a drier nib.

Granny Aching

Thank you for the review. It would be great to see scans of the pages you tested. I really like Maruman's "Smooth to Write" refill line and I am surprised it did so poorly.

I'm not surprised by Maruman's rating. Never had much luck with this brand. Congratulations on the review - excellent read. I must admit that I always make sure I get to Kinokinuya when I get to Sydney but last few visits there seems to be less varieties of Japanese paper products.
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Thanks for the comparison. I'm surprised Maruman performed so poorly in comparison to the others, as it seems to be quite popular.

Does Kinokuniya stock Tomoe River too? And do you recall if they had Kokuyo Cyo-Bo (I think it comes only in spiral bound notebooks nowadays)? I wish there were a Kinokuniya here (I've been waiting years for them to expand, it seems a vain hope now!), but if I'm desperate enough, and sufficiently fed up with Daiso and Muji looseleaf, I'll give them a ring and do a phone order.

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

Thanks for the comparison. I'm surprised Maruman performed so poorly in comparison to the others, as it seems to be quite popular.

Does Kinokuniya stock Tomoe River too? And do you recall if they had Kokuyo Cyo-Bo (I think it comes only in spiral bound notebooks nowadays)? I wish there were a Kinokuniya here (I've been waiting years for them to expand, it seems a vain hope now!), but if I'm desperate enough, and sufficiently fed up with Daiso and Muji looseleaf, I'll give them a ring and do a phone order.

No, they don't do Tomoe River, nor have I ever seen the Cyo-Bo.

Apart from the Maruman and Kokuyo refills, much of the other stock seems to vary from month to month. However, I think I'll be going back this week sometime to get some more of the Nakabayashi refill. That then means, that with the Kokuyo Campus and Nakabayashi refills, I will be over stocked with B5 paper, which is probably not a bad thing...

Granny Aching

That's a really interesting comparison - than you for taking all that time and trouble. Everflo True Blue must be an absolute swine; I've got Kokuyo Campus to bleed a little before now (the only one of these papers I have experience of), but never thought to see it feather. 'strordinary.

Feathering

fpn_1459144840__apicanotebookfeather1.jp

Apica Notebook - Feathering level 1

fpn_1459144860__kokuyocampusnotebookfeat

Kokuyo Campus Notebook - Feathering level 2

Honestly, I think I'd have swapped these round for feathering, but maybe not spread?

Nice review. My experience is the same, with TR and Kokuyo MIO high grade giving the best performance.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Thanks for the review. I can attest to the qualities of Everflo True Blue, even though I liked the color....until my bottle developed 'things' floating in it.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Thanks for the review. I can attest to the qualities of Everflo True Blue, even though I liked the color....until my bottle developed 'things' floating in it.

I think that the 'problem' with ETB is that in trying to make it an exceptionally pen-friendly ink, it was made with too much surfactant, leading it to bleed and feather even on white bath tile...

Anyway, I now know that I have some papers that, with a nib on the dry side of medium wet, I can use this ink and it will look good.

Granny Aching

No, they don't do Tomoe River, nor have I ever seen the Cyo-Bo.

Apart from the Maruman and Kokuyo refills, much of the other stock seems to vary from month to month. However, I think I'll be going back this week sometime to get some more of the Nakabayashi refill. That then means, that with the Kokuyo Campus and Nakabayashi refills, I will be over stocked with B5 paper, which is probably not a bad thing...

Over stocked? Is that possible?

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Nice review. How about Midori MD paper? No feathering, no bleeding, even with my Nakaya soft medium nib, which can lay down some serious ink. I'd rate it just a hair below the Tomoe River (which I also use frequently), but not by much.

Rich

Thanks for the great review! As many of us can attest to, Tomoe River paper seems to work the best with fountain pens/ink. Isn't the Apica Notebook paper a bit toothy? I am not to sure that I would like that, when I have gotten so used to the smoothness of TR.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thanks so much for the reviews, this kind of comparison is invaluable for people, especially the pictures that let us really see what you mean when you say '0' or '1'.

fpn_1459144880__tomoeriverbleed0.jpg

Tomoe River - Bleeding level 0

fpn_1459144901__apicabasicsbleed1.jpg

Apica Basics - Bleeding level 1

This is why I'm not a huge fan of Tomoe River, it doesn't work for me as notebook paper because I can't use it on both sides, I'd rather a little bleedthrough than having no bleedthrough but have clear words visible on the backside because clear words are very distracting for me. Edited by WirsPlm

A useful trick I picked up for scanning items with print on both sides might help - a dark colour backing sheet beneath the page. It reduces the contrast so the words on the reverse no longer stand out.

A useful trick I picked up for scanning items with print on both sides might help - a dark colour backing sheet beneath the page. It reduces the contrast so the words on the reverse no longer stand out.

Thank you for that hint. I will try it next time. Certainly, because of the intense light the scanner uses, the show-through on the Tomoe River is more prominent than it is in real life.

The point with the scans, though, was to demonstrate bleed-through. By clicking on the images, you see them magnified, and can the spotting on the Apica Basics, but not on the TR.

Granny Aching