Jinhao X450 Feed

ALeonardoA

Hello,

I have a Jinhao x450 that I modified to use a zebra g nib. I reshaped the feed so the nib would sit properly and deepened the ink channel and I would say I did both of these things precisely and well. However, that little prong-like bit at the rear end of the feed that's maybe a millimeter or two protrusion from the center, snapped off clean one time while removing the nib. The pen still seems to work fine so far and I'm wondering how critical of a component it is after all. Any ideas? Thank you.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kmeredith923

• gopool

• ALeonardoA

• filedog

I think that part is for attaching the C/C if I'm not mistaken. You can also buys more Jinhao feeds on eBay pretty cheap.

Hi gopool, by C/C you mean cartridge or converter right? Actually it seems like it's having some trouble keeping up inkflow despite widening and deepening the channel quite a bit. I'll have to make another one then. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

If he snapped off the bit for the c/c what ink storage system is being used? How would you attach anything to the feed? I'm quite confused as to how you're getting ink in the pen to test it..?

If he snapped off the bit for the c/c what ink storage system is being used? How would you attach anything to the feed? I'm quite confused as to how you're getting ink in the pen to test it..?

Sounds like the piece that snapped off is the small, pin-like protrusion on the feed itself. The converter attaches to the small tube that you can see if you look down into the section itself, if that makes sense. The pin-like part on the feed slides into this tube.

Edited by filedog

Sounds like the piece that snapped off is the small, pin-like protrusion on the feed itself. The converter attaches to the small tube that you can see if you look down into the section itself, if that makes sense. The pin-like part on the feed slides into this tube.

Yes, I know what the pin is and what it does, that's why I asked the question about how he's even using the pen. Without that pin how is he attaching a c/c and getting ink into the feed?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I know what the pin is and what it does, that's why I asked the question about how he's even using the pen. Without that pin how is he attaching a c/c and getting ink into the feed?

I suppose that the ink pools up in that tube and gets down to the ink channel in the feed. This can produce ink flow problems though. You're not getting real capillary action for part of the ink's journey to the tip of the nib. You could even get the ink refusing to go into the tube. That little tail on the end of the feed really does perform a function.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

I'm not understanding how he even ink to get down there at all. Can't be piercing a cartridge without it, so is he using a prepierced cartridge that's leaking ink down there? Same with a converter, is he just using a leaky one? Or did he leave enough pin on there to just barely enter a cartridge or a converter enough to get some leaking? I'm thoroughly vexed by this pen's ability to work after being beheaded!

I'm not understanding how he even ink to get down there at all. Can't be piercing a cartridge without it, so is he using a prepierced cartridge that's leaking ink down there? Same with a converter, is he just using a leaky one? Or did he leave enough pin on there to just barely enter a cartridge or a converter enough to get some leaking? I'm thoroughly vexed by this pen's ability to work after being beheaded!

The post that holds and pierces the ink cartridges on international standard FPs is attached to the inside of the section, it's not part of the feed. The "tail" of the feed slots in to that post.

The post that holds and pierces the ink cartridges on international standard FPs is attached to the inside of the section, it's not part of the feed. The "tail" of the feed slots in to that post.

THANK YOU!! I thought I'd be stumped forever!

The little prong at the end of the feed slips inside the "piercing" post. It serves to break the surface tension formed by the ink. Think of how you can fill a glass of water above the rim of a glass without it spilling over. Same thing with the ink at the rim of the cartridge. The little prong breaks that barrier and provides a "guide" for the ink to flow down into the feed and nib.

It's possible to shake or squeeze the ink into the feed, but it will not continue to flow in natural capillary action on its own without that prong.

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I have a Jinhao x450 that I modified to use a zebra g nib. I reshaped the feed so the nib would sit properly and deepened the ink channel and I would say I did both of these things precisely and well.

I realize this thread is over 3 years old, but I would like to know if ALeonardoA would be willing to share details about how the feed was modified.

Thanks

There are several threads here on how to do the modification. There are both photos and videos. Do a search and you should find them.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire