Lamy Cp1 Vs Twsbi 580

Zouz99

Hey Guys,

I am looking for a nice practical pen for everyday use, and prolonged writing sessions in an academic environment, after examining all my options Im torn between the CP1 and the TWSBI 580. I am considering a Fine nib by the way, which one should I opt for?

Many Thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• katerchen

• Zouz99

• aderoy

• swanjun

I have (and like) both. But for long writing sessions I'd go with the 580, simply because the CP1 is too damn skinny and after a page or two gives me hand cramps holding it.

Plus, a transparent piston filler pen is just way too awesome :P

-k

I wouldn't say so. The 580 has facets that make it look quite nice. I would also vote TWSBI in this instance. It'll hold more ink, and its fine nib would probably be finer than the Lamy (sometimes theirs run a bit wide) so you wouldn't need to fill up as often.

Thanks for the input, I was curious about how thin the CP1 is, is it that thin in real life?

The CP1 would be very close in diameter to a 'normal' No2 pencil, or a Caran d'Ache Ecridor FP/BP/MP if that helps. Fits into a Filofax pen loop no problem.

Light in weight, can be posted securely (I do not post shifts the balance too far back for smaller hands).

The CP1 is a thin metal cylinder (Brass?) with ribbed plastic section. There are pictures and reviews in the review section.

Thanks for the input, I was curious about how thin the CP1 is, is it that thin in real life?

My CP1 is at work and I rarely bring it home. On a side note : it's awesome for quick note taking and carrying to meetings. I'll take a picture on Monday with both of them next to each other.

But as Aderoy said : it's like a normal pencil. If you feel comfortable writing several pages with a regular pencil, then you should be fine.

Also : this varies from vendor to vendor, but check if they include a converter or not (an extra $5 if they don't). Which is of course a moot point with the 580.

-k

Those are 2 very different pens. The cp1 is a 'slimline' pen the section is 8.7mm and the barrel 9.4mm diameter.

So first thing is if you can write with a slim pen, some people can't.

Both pens have relatively heavy caps, so I don't post either pen, or the pen will feel tail heavy.

Interestingly, I got and use the TWSBI Eco daily, rather than buying a 580. Not that the 580 is not a good pen, but I liked simple looks and low price of the Eco better.

I suggest you think about an EF/XF nib. In college, I used a pair of Parker 45 with a F nib, equivalent to a Lamy or TWSBI EF nib. The F nib made the ink last longer and I could pack more writing on a page of paper than with a wider nib. The only issue is that you may have to smoothen the EF nib, to get it to write smoothly. Also EF nibs are more sensitive to the smoothness and quality (or lack of smoothness and quality) of the surface of the paper.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I find a CP-1 to be a very light pen (one ofm if not my lightest metal pen), and that goes for posted too....but for a school it is a CC pen and the Twsbi holds more ink.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

As promised. That's a 5mm grid paper. So you can see how thin that pen is. I also put a Pilot Custom 74 next to them for comparison.

-k

http://i.imgur.com/Ocir7vI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uWWNg7s.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Katerchen, thank you for the comparison.

I don't buy Lamy's anylonger since several of my Al-stars had to go back to Lamy because of how the nib attaches to the feed. The design is flawed. I could have gotten over the pain of sending it back multiple times, but everytime, Lamy charges me $8. I got so sick of it, that I stopped buying Lamys.

@AC - Ditto on the Eco. What a great pen for the money!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I had a CP-1 -- had being the operative word. I posted the cap, and when I removed the cap from the back of the pen, the knob to which it was affixed snapped off. I could not extract the piece so could not recap the pen. Contacted the seller who said they had had similar complaints. Seller offered to swap the CP-1 for a TWSBI 580. Still have the TWSBI and use it regularly. Ordinarily I am a huge Lamy fan -- I own and use about 20 Lamy pens from the 2000 to a bunch of Safaris and have had zero problems with them. But if I had to choose between a Lamy CP1 and a TWSBI, no question I'd pick the TWSBI.

I like other respondents own both pens. The Lamy is a very nice pen in deed but for me it has not seen the light of day for a very long time. Like others have commented it is just too skinny for me to use as an everyday writer. I can remember when using it I never posted as the feel was not right.

My 580 does, from time to time, comes into rotation and I find it a pen that suits me far better. I would also add my 580 has not had any cracking problems as often mentioned by other owners.

Katerchen has shown the Pilot 74, I own a 74 and would think it to be a far better daily writer than a CP or 580.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures