chirography

A Somewhat Informal Press Release

23 March 2016

for more information, please contact either

Carolyn Haines — or — Catherine Russell

Carolyn’s Email: carolyn@chirography.org

Catherine’s Email: catherine@chirography.org

http://chirography.org

Time to let you know about a new project out there in the world, and to ask for your support in spreading the word with editorial and/or social media coverage. Time is of the essence, too, because we’re currently in the midst of a Kickstarter campaign.

There’s a new organization starting up, one that focuses on some very old skills and some very contemporary problems:

The Chirography Alliance

If that one word there is unfamiliar, for today’s exercise in endangered basic skills, look it up in the dictionary. “Chirography.” Not chiropractic. Or chiromancy. And really not chiropody. Though the word does share a Latin root with all those other words: chiro, meaning “of/by the hand.” And it isn’t calligraphy or cursive, either, those these would be included. Chirography: writing by hand.

There’s more at our website and our Kickstarter page, but here is the basic info:

The Chirography Alliance is a community that connects and supports those who believe in the art and science of the handwritten word. Yeah, yeah, sounds all warm and fuzzy, cute, and maybe unnecessary, but it’s really none of those. You see, we have noticed that lots of people and organizations are currently thinking about and trying to address our imperiled ability to write with our hands. And imperiled it is, so don’t go kidding yourself. Check out your own handwriting, or try to read someone else’s. Better yet, just think about Leonardo da Vinci’s notes, the letters of John and Abigail Adams, war letters in museums around the world, Hemingway’s jottings, or that one deeply treasured love note you’ve kept stashed away for years. What if those things never existed in the first place? Handwritten lasts for centuries; digital is designed to evaporate. There is a place in this world for both.

So, maybe you’ve noticed a few cultural and economic trends related to this, as we have. There are groups that write letters to strangers, teach penmanship, employ handwriting as art, advocate for cursive in the classroom, and create and sell fine and fantastic writing supplies — each of which is a great idea in its own right.

— Page 1 of 2 —

Well, The Chirography Alliance is a way to bring all those people and groups together: bloggers, moms, dads, journalists, grade-schoolers, business people, college students, authors, nonprofits, YouTubers, creatives, and individuals. It’s a gathering place, and a canopy under which all these worthy organizations can reside alongside individuals who care about the future of chirography. Let’s get everyone together, pool our energies and our knowledge, creating a multi-faceted partnership. We believe that — together — we can preserve the handwritten word. And yes, we are fully aware of the irony: We are using digital to help preserve that which is not digital at all. Gotta love it.

For a more complete version of all this, a cool video, and for a chance to join, support, and participate, visit:

chirography.org — OR — Kickstarter

Read, watch the video, enjoy — and please share this information with others, in your pages, tweets, and posts. We’d love to talk with you, too, so feel free to contact either of us at the numbers above. Oh, and we do have art, lots of it, if you want it.

Chirography. Is it all just one big throwback, designed to fade into dubious history in the company of Pet Rocks and 8-track tapes? We think not, in fact, quite the opposite. Chirography is something that we all need, especially as we move forward in this terribly complex, blazingly fast, sometimes exhausting, very digital world.

We hope you’ll talk it up, and we hope you’ll join us, too.

Thanks,

The Chirography Alliance

#### end ####

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chirography

• dcwaites

• Pemako

• Dickkooty2

... Though the word does share a Latin root with all those other words: chiro, meaning “of/by the hand.”

Oh dear, chiro is a Greek root. As is graph.

I know this seems like nit-picking. To the many lovers of the written word whom I am sure will support your kickstart however, this may jump off the page.

Just so you'll know, I subscribed even though the error* fairly leapt into my lap.

* Now 'error' is a Latin base: from errorem: a wandering, straying.

Living up to my name,

That Dick in Hood River

Egad. As it was pointed out — rightly so — “chiro” is Greek, not Latin. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Really. What a gaffe on our part, and the only excuse I can make is that the pressure of launching Kickstarter dimmed my brain. Fixing where possible. Join us, and correct us where required, please.

- Catherine

It's great to be both wrong -- and right. Irritated with myself (and not at all with anyone else, really), I went tracking this morning to see where in blue blazes I did my sourcing, and I found it. "Chiro" is one of those roots that, in a way, sources to both Latin and Greek. "Chiro" is Latin, but it itself sources to "cheiro" and "kheir," both of which are, in fact, Greek. Thus, "chiro" is both Latin and Greek. Still, My Big Fat Greek Gaffe, but still not entirely off.

All that said, I'm not a scholar of either language, and just as someone who isn't an experienced driver should be extra careful behind the wheel, I should be more careful about tossing such around such info. And I shall be.

Thanks all around.

So, how do I post an image here?

Have your image ready.

Go to postimage.org

Upload your image.

Copy hotlink to forums 1 to clipbard

paste it into the forum.

So, how do I post an image here?

There is a button at the top of the page called "Upload". Do what it says and eventually you will get three URLs after your upload is done. Copy-past the middle URL into your post. I normally paste the link using the little "link" icon at the top of the post box. But just posting it in the body of your message seems to work OK too. Make your images around 600-800 (or so) pixels wide so they fit well and aren't bloated in size. You may post an unlimited number of images like this over time, but as far as I know you can't delete them. There is also a way to upload an image or file to the forum in your post as an attachment, but I don't recommend it as there is something like a 2MB cumulative limit then no more. Enjoy...

Kate Gladstone, are you reading this???

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

It's great to be both wrong -- and right. Irritated with myself (and not at all with anyone else, really), I went tracking this morning to see where in blue blazes I did my sourcing, and I found it. "Chiro" is one of those roots that, in a way, sources to both Latin and Greek. "Chiro" is Latin, but it itself sources to "cheiro" and "kheir," both of which are, in fact, Greek. Thus, "chiro" is both Latin and Greek. Still, My Big Fat Greek Gaffe, but still not entirely off.

All that said, I'm not a scholar of either language, and just as someone who isn't an experienced driver should be extra careful behind the wheel, I should be more careful about tossing such around such info. And I shall be.

Thanks all around.

Interesting. If one is talking about the roots, it may be more tempting to say Greek rather than Latin. Nevertheless, it would be nice to get a definitive verdict on this from fellow learned/professorial members.

Anyway welcome and good luck!

... Though the word does share a Latin root with all those other words: chiro, meaning “of/by the hand.”

Oh dear, chiro is a Greek root. As is graph.

I know this seems like nit-picking. To the many lovers of the written word whom I am sure will support your kickstart however, this may jump off the page.

Just so you'll know, I subscribed even though the error* fairly leapt into my lap.

* Now 'error' is a Latin base: from errorem: a wandering, straying.

Living up to my name,

That Dick in Hood River

And here I was thinking that chiro is a Latin word. It's from the ancient Greek χειρ ((genitive χειρός); third declension) meaning 'hand'.

The English suffix 'graphy' is from the French 'graphie' which is from the Latin graphia (writing or a field of study). In keeping with the rule to not mix Greek and Latin roots (or so my father taught me), chirography is a proper English word, derived solely from the Latin for 'hand' and 'writing', or 'study of writing'.

Given that the English language phrase 'hand writing' is well understood and takes precedence, chirography is properly the study of hand writing.

Ink has something in common with both money and manure. It's only useful if it's spread around.

Dear Chirography,

Please do not get put off with the off-topic straying that is happening here. It is normal for the FPN. Like herding cats, but worse.

And you always end up learning stuff that you didn't know you didn't know.

Welcome to the Nut-House that is the FPN.

David

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• 4 weeks later...