Inky T O D - Inks That Make You Feel Happy

Flaxmoore

As a counter to https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/306088-inks-that-just-make-you-sad-for-some-reason/, what inks make you happy? Which ones do you pull out when you need a lift, or have good times associated with them?

Obviously no ink bashing, this is fun ink!

Noodler's Habañero- I simply love the color shifting from yellows to oranges and reds. Though I detest winter (despite living in a wintry hell with 4 distinct seasons- Winter, Still Winter, Almost Winter and Construction), the color changes remind me of fall and good times playing ball. Leaves changing like that... it sends me down memory lane.

I'm 16, strapping on the helmet for my still-beloved alma mater. The crack of Champion on Ridell, the harsh smell of sweat mixed with grass, dust and heat. The sound of iron slamming against iron in the weight room, dying for one more rep, one more push. The satisfying thump when an old rival hits the turf. The cool touch of bronze lifting the ancient league trophy. Habañero brings all that back.

Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo- My wife's a Floridian by birth. She loves the sea, but got dragged up here in the land of rust and snow when her grandfather passed away. I'll never forget the first time I saw the Gulf. Somehow, it was as if my Scots and Irish ancestors, men who lived and died with the sea, were welcoming me home. As Red says in Shawshank Redemption, "I hope the Pacific is as blue as it is in my dreams." The Gulf is. It awakens some long-dormant memory of the sea, of my ancestors coming across two centuries ago, and the sea to which I hope to return. It's a color of hope, of joy.

Sorry for rambling. In a sentimental mood, I guess.

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flaxmoore

• amberleadavis

• Pensei

• Uncle Red

White Forest makes me think of a Christmas tree forest and my youth when my dad and I would go out there and chop one down and bring it back home (which was allowed in those days).

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Browns make me happy as they're very earthy and to me they have a relaxing quality about them. Diamine Chocolate Brown or Noodler's Walnut are perhaps my favourite

An ink I mixed just yesterday from the dregs of two 'inky empty bottles' I bought (yes, I truly am THAT bad about bottles). Part Kaweco purple, part JH Rouge Bourgogne. It's like a red-violet, and it's in my vintage Pelikano Junior, which is a superb writer and hasn't been used in a long time.

And it makes me happy because it's a pretty color, and you know, I mixed it from DREGS. ;)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Iroshizuku Yu-Yake makes me happy. Orange is my favorite color and it is the perfect orange, bright and shades even in my finest nib. Diamine Ancient Copper makes me happy for different reasons: brown and dark enough to pass the professional test, but with a touch of orange that makes my heart sing and the shading. :wub:

These two inks are always in my EDCs.

Hi,

Turquoise inks always elevate my mood.

While there are many perfectly fine Turquoise inks in the market, Pelikan Edelstein Topaz is my go-to Turquoise, and suits correspondence of any length.

(So sorry Sheaffer Skrip Turquoise, but take heart that you will not be left to languish unloved.)

The exclamatory 'jolly' inks, such as R&K Helianthus, seem to be more well-suited to brief notes.

And Pilot tsuyu-kusa - which I consider to be great for telling jokes. :)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Mont Blanc Royal Blue. Further explanation not needed.

Tim

Edited by tmenyc

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Right now, Sheaffer turquoise and Noodler's Gruene Cactus. It will probably change as I play with more inks.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Good question. Off the top of my head: Ama-iro, because it's the brightest ink I'm willing to use; Waterman Tender Purple because it's just so pretty; Bung Box Sapphire because it is beautiful; Herbin Ambre de Birmanie for the color and shading; Tsuyu-kusa for being such a happy blue; Ajisai, because a whole page of it looks so nice; and, perhaps a surprising choice, R&K Salix, just for being so quietly pretty.

Rohrer & Klingner Helianthus - it's such a cheerful ink, and can be mixed with other inks to make even more colours. An ink full of sunshine and promise.

It's not my favorite color, not my favorite ink, not my favorite pen, but I really enjoy writing with Noodler's Red-Black in my amber TWSBI 540.

Turquoise ! I only use turquoise in one pen. Dad used only turquoise ink in his Parker 51.

fpn_1318235436__rolex51b1.jpg

Using Dad's Parker 51, with turquoise ink, makes me happy. It's like a bowl of hot oatmeal, that settles into one's internals, and warms the whole body. I grew up with a lot of hard times in our family, but I actually had a great childhood.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Some of my favorite "happy" inks? No particular order. A few months ago, my wife almost lost her dad. Some of these helped me get beyond that. It was a really stressful time for us.

Noodler's Apache Sunset

Blackstone Sydney Harbour Blue and Barrier Reef Blue

KWZI Iron Gall Turquoise and Diamine Steel Blue

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

The color that brings such calm and happiness to my soul is the color of the calm ocean, and those are beautifully delivered in:

L'Artisan Pastelier Callifolio Bleu Pacifique

L'Artisan Pastelier Callifolio Bleu Atlantique

L'Artisan Pastelier Callifolio Bleu Mediteranee

I love each one for their unique characteristics - one with a warm, lighter, more playful air - one that is much deeper and broader with wonderful sheen, and one with a rich, blue texture that touches my soul.

For one who is landlocked, I can imagine when I write that I am in a warm, sunny place with the crashing ocean and smell of salt spray in my nostrils.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Sailor Cigar and Herbin's EoC make me ridiculously happy. I just enjoy both the colors. I like the fact that Sailor Cigar short of color-shifts from green to brown when it dries and the EoC sparkles make me giddy!

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

For me, the brightness--the "pop" -- of Noodler's Liberty's Elysium gives me joy. Also the pleasant shading of Black Swans in Icelandic Minty Bathwater raises the temperature of the cold black stone in my chest at least half a degree.

Other inks that give me great joy are some of the from-scratch mixes I've been working on. There's the proud mama aspect of writing with something I conceived, there are also color and concept aspects of which I'm particularly fond.

Girl Sam

(It used to be Sammi with a heart drawn over the I, but I stopped because absolutely everyone was doing it)