Custom Stylographic Pens

supratalix

I need a little help from you guys. After looking through the custom makers sticky, I didn't see anyone who made stylographs. I own a Visconti Copernicus stylograph in emerald and I'm in love with it. I also happen to be in love with custom makers and materials. Does anyone know a maker who works with stylographs (and preferably ebonite or celluloid)?

Much appreciated!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joseph B

• supratalix

• terim

Excuse me if I misunderstand, but if you are speaking of vintage stylograph pens such as the Kohinoor Rapidograph pens, some of their nibs fit Esterbrook threads. I know because I have put both Esterbrook and some Osmoroid nibs in my Kohinoor Rapidograph (black piston type). I do (as well as some others makers) have tap for fitment of these Esterbrooks in custom pens. I think some of the Pelikan nibs may also use this threading.

So one possibility, that might work, would be to procure Rapidograph nibs from pens available very inexpensively on Ebay and build custom pens around them using Esterbrook type threads.

Hope this helps.

Joseph B.

A note of caution; In trying to fit any of the fountain pen nibs mentioned into the Rapidograph, the inner cap of the Rapidograph needs to be removed. Also, not many of the Esterbrook (or other) nibs mentioned are short enough to fit. Take care and first test carefully to avoid bending the tines against the end of the cap.

Excuse me if I misunderstand, but if you are speaking of vintage stylograph pens such as the Kohinoor Rapidograph pens, some of their nibs fit Esterbrook threads. I know because I have put both Esterbrook and some Osmoroid nibs in my Kohinoor Rapidograph (black piston type). I do (as well as some others makers) have tap for fitment of these Esterbrooks in custom pens. I think some of the Pelikan nibs may also use this threading.

So one possibility, that might work, would be to procure Rapidograph nibs from pens available very inexpensively on Ebay and build custom pens around them using Esterbrook type threads.

Hope this helps.

Joseph B.

Yes! I've heard the rapidographs are a little difficult to write with, but that's what I'd like to do with one. As a side note, is it just the vintage rapidograph nib, or would the modern ones work? I'd be willing to locate a nib, in either case.

Would you be someone who could build a pen around such a nib?

Edit: And I appreciate your response!

Edited by supratalix

My experience with these pens was actually using them before CAD was fully implemented in the 1990's. (I still have a few of them around in various conditions). I haven't examined the newer ones, but doubt that they have changed much unless the threads/mounting has been changed. I think that one would be able to accommodate the vintage nibs and maybe the new ones in a fountain pen.

I believe the challenge will be aesthetics because of the industrial look of these nibs. I think that a nib cover may be in order and, because of this, one of the longer drafting type rapidograph nibs might work best. Have you ever used one? If the nib were exposed it seems to me that it would be a relatively easy task (but doubt its acceptability to you). I will try to look further into the new versions and will need to try a couple of ideas in the shop before I could say definitively if I could produce something that I think is acceptable. I don't sell custom pens as a business, but build them for the challenge of doing it and because I like pens. I am a retired engineer and generally only do one-offs for my own collection and to pass down to my family.

I have worked with metal, acrylic, wood, ebonite, buffalo horn, cebloplast, micarta, and am trying to learn (with only limited success) urushi lacquer. Which size, style, material, filling system,etc. do you prefer? Do you know the line size of your Visconti?

I believe that there would be little difference in construction of this pen and a conventional one except the section and nib (with the nib cover and filling system accommodation being the biggest challenges). It may be that you can procure a custom pen of your preference and have an interchangeable rapidograph section/nib made for it, If this were feasible, do you have one or two already in mind? I think any number of makers could do this, so feel free to pursue this with others. The interchangeable section is one of the ideas that I intend to investigate. FYI, most of my section to barrel connections use M 10 X 1 threads.

As I am doing this just for an interesting challenge, I could not commit to my success, time schedule or cost at this time. So please proceed with any other sources that you can. I will keep you posted on what I come up with. And will you please keep in touch with me (either on this forum or by PM) as well?

BTW, I would love to see photos of the Visconti disassembled, but don't do this if there is any risk at all of damaging it. I also collect vintage pens and certainly wouldn't want to see it harmed.

Please excuse the length and rambling nature of this post,

Joseph B.

I just ran across this post, and didn't know if you had seen it.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/295487-visconti-homo-sapiens-steel-maxi-technical-pen/

Or this for some more historical precedent:

http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/rotring-tintenkuli-tiku-stylus-fountain-pen-red-marble-excellent-works-well.html

Edited by Joseph B

Look for Inkograph stylus vintage pens ..... Usually really inexpensive with force fit sections. I bet we could get one of those sections to work in a Ranga.

I actually own a Ranga Bamboo oversize in olive ripple. Hmm. I may be able to get a hold of an inkograph. I'll have to take a look. Thanks for the tip-off!

I just found this great review of vintage Rotring Tintenkuli Stylographs that was posted here on FPN in April 2007:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/30724-rotring-tintenkuli-stylographs/

I saw that! it's a beautiful collection. If I'm able to get my hands on one of those inkographs, I bet I could convince a maker it's worth their effort.

I actually own a Ranga Bamboo oversize in olive ripple. Hmm. I may be able to get a hold of an inkograph. I'll have to take a look. Thanks for the tip-off!

I saw that! it's a beautiful collection. If I'm able to get my hands on one of those inkographs, I bet I could convince a maker it's worth their effort.

I am making progress on prototype section/nib/cover that will fit many customs (with M 10 X 1 threads). I am using a .6 mm Rapidograph drafting nib assembly including the rapidograph fill reservoir/cartridge. Will post photo when complete.

BTW, you sparked my interest to get my piston fill rapidograph out and operational. It is neat to write with, laying down plenty of ink, just no line variation. Not unlike most standard (non stub,italic) modern fountain pens.

Joe

Yes, as I proposed earlier, it is possible to make stylo section interchangeable with some custom fp sections using Koh-I-Noor nib assemblies

Proof of concept photo: Sorry for the quality, will try to post better photos and description later.

fpn_1459965451__r1001566_-_resized.jpg

Edited by Joseph B