Parker Sonnet 18K Nib And Feed Misaligned

kapanak

Dear Parker experts,

I have a dilemma. I recently purchased a Parker Sonnet Cisele with a Fine 18K nib, brand new from a reputable dealer (through their site).

Upon receiving the pen and inspecting it, I noticed that first the feed and the nib line were not lined up, and second the tines were slightly misaligned, though that was fixed with a small push from fingernails.

The nib writes well, sort of like the better Sonnet nibs I've tried. Inkflow is fine.

However, the misaligned feed still bothers me. Now, the Sonnet nibs are fixed in place using two little clips of sort onto the feed, and while I have tried to adjust it back to a more centered form, I have been unsuccessful.

Below, I have included the photographs of the nib, please let me know if I am being delusional, or is that feed misaligned to the right a real issue, and I should contact my dealer. Photo is extremely large, so please click and view for closer inspection. http://i.imgur.com/v8FmHRb.jpg

Thank you for your time and consideration :D

http://i.imgur.com/v8FmHRb.jpg

Edited by kapanak

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• pajaro

• hood

• kapanak

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had this happen with Sonnets. I moved the nib into line, nib slit in the center of the feed. I don't think this had any effect, good or bad, and the pen wrote OK before and after. If the nib looks misaligned on the feed, it might bother you. That's understandable. So, you just tweak it. The nib is held onto the feed by two ears on the nib going over protrusions on the feed. It's not really tightly held. You can tweak it at the front.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

If you're concerned that there's something 'wrong' with it then you can rest easy, it may not be precisely perfect but it looks to be within 'normal' tolerances. The key thing is that it writes well, and that being the case then you don't need to worry. As pajaro says, you will probably be able to tweak the nib's position so it sits more centrally if it really bothers you, but that's just an aesthetic thing if it's performing as it should.

The nib and feed.

The tolerance level.

Aligned.

Please overlook the dent on one of the tines. It came in the same condition. I purchased it used.

Khan M. Ilyas

That kind of creasing on Sonnet nibs is common. Happens with steel, gold plated and 18K. The nibs will bend and crease if they are dropped, or contact something head on. I have bent them back, but even the most careful unbending seems to leave a crease as evidence that the nib has been bent. I think the nibs are too thin. Laundry basket company trying to cheap the nibs of would be fine pens.

I bent a fine 18K rhodium plated nib from my Blue Ice pen when I used a syringe to purge the section, the section popped off into the sink, and the nib was bent back. I can see the remnant crease after straightening it out. It would be cheaper to buy a new one from Dutchpen than to get this one fixed.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Pajaro, I would leave it as is. It is noticeable only in close-ups. Writes well too. Thank you for the kind advice, though.

Khan M. Ilyas

That's a nice red Sonnet, by the way. You might as well buy them used. Save money. Then you can buy more pens.

That's a nice red Sonnet, by the way. You might as well buy them used. Save money. Then you can buy more pens.

Yes, bought this one for just $9.00. Of late I have stopped buying brand new Sonnets. Been buying just used ones. All for $8.00- $ 20.00. The last used expensive ones I bought were 18k two tone nibbed, double ringed section, Sterling Silver Fougere for $70.00 and a 18k nibbed Ciselé Sonnet for $100.00

Khan M. Ilyas

Yes, bought this one for just $9.00. Of late I have stopped buying brand new Sonnets. Been buying just used ones. All for $8.00- $ 20.00. The last used expensive ones I bought were 18k two tone nibbed, double ringed section, Sterling Silver Fougere for $70.00 and a 18k nibbed Ciselé Sonnet for $100.00

I fully agree mitto. You can always upgrade the nib if you want to.

Peter

I fully agree mitto. You can always upgrade the nib if you want to.

Yes, Peter. Remember I told you sometime last year I had ordered this laque deep red Sonnet for around $60 and the dealer shipped matte black instead saying the laque deep red was out of stock. I loved the black one but was hoping to one day find this red one too. And, I found it not for $60 but for $9.00 only.

And, yes I would be upgrading some of my steel nibbed Sonnets with 18k nibs though I already have half a dozen 18k nibbed sonnets.

Edited to correct typo.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Thank you folks, that was very informative and I really appreciate it. Thanks especially to mitto for the photos, and pajaro and hood for the details and reassuring. This is the kind of information I couldn't find anywhere else on the web.

BTW, @mitto, where do you buy Sonnets for such cheap prices? :yikes:

Thank you folks, that was very informative and I really appreciate it. Thanks especially to mitto for the photos, and pajaro and hood for the details and reassuring. This is the kind of information I couldn't find anywhere else on the web.

BTW, @mitto, where do you buy Sonnets for such cheap prices? :yikes:

You are most welcome, Kapanak.

Where I buy my pens (not only Sonnets)? In the land I am vawing flag of. Where else I may find pens for far more cheaper prices? Wouldn't you let me know? Lol.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

The steel nibs on Sonnets are pretty good. They cost less, and if the nib gets bent, less is lost.

I agree. But I plan to put some of my Sonnet steel nibs on my Frontiers and upgrade the Sonnets with 18k nibs that I would buy used from antique shops in the congested, overcrowded city centres of small walled cities for cheap prices. Not from Parker dealers in the metropolises.

Khan M. Ilyas

It is fun hunting for pens, inkwells, desk set bases and pen parts in the local old cities' environs in South Asia and especially in India and Pakistan.

Khan M. Ilyas

mitto, do you work for the Pakistan Department of Tourism? If not, they should employ you, you've got everyone in this forum wanting to visit :lol:

You all are welcome. Warm and cordial reception awaits you at any of the entry point of your choice.

Khan M. Ilyas

Those are apparently like flea markets. All the places where I live are ripoff emporia.

Like these?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flea_market

These are called Sunday / Friday / Tuesday (etc.) Bazars here depending on the day these are held. But inner city Bazars are permanent shops who deal in almost any thing old and vintage. Besides, every old city has a Bazar called URDU Bazar where old as well new books and modern/vintage pens and paraphernalia are sold exclusively. There are small narrow streets that form part of such Bazars where only antique shops operate.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Flea markets dredge up some of the unexpected at bargain prices. Most being not so elaborate. Nothing like that around rural Michigan. Smaller scale, inflated prices. Seller's business plan must include retirement next week.