Platinum Ptl-5000A, Platinum Adapter, Platinum Converter And Other Questions Of A New Fountain Pen User

axioth

Hi!

I've recently purchased my first-one-ever fountain pen - Platinum PTL-5000A (Platinum Standard) with a fine nib.

I've since come across an opinion, that is it not so good as a pen for a beginner, but it was listed amongst Goulet top next level pens, and I was able to get the pen for a little more than price of a Lamy Al-Star in retail around me, so I guess it shouldn't be that bad of a deal.

Now for the question part. I ended up with a bunch of (3, to be exact) Platinum converters for my pen. For low long you can usually use one? Should I keep them all, or use 1 and try to trade or sell them? I also have two models of them 500 and 700, and it seems, that the only difference is trim colour, is it so?

That brings us to another question - should I even bother with Platinum converter? It seems, that the converter holds 0.5ml of ink, while the Platinum ink cartridge looks like it holds ~1ml of ink.

I'm only using my pen for a week, and already have a little less than half of my cartridge. I don't mind if I need to change my ink only once a week, but I'm afraid that if using a converter, I can easily run out of ink in the middle of the day with no option to refill it, and basically needing to switch to something else.

That got me thinking, that I could just purchase some Platinum cartridges, and just refill them with my bottled ink using a syringe or something similar to it. My pen maintenance would switch to a biweekly schedule, making me more than happy.

Since Japanese pens are not represented where I live, I'm thinking of purchasing a Platinum International adapter, and using standard international long cartridges as a container. Did anybody try to do this with PTL-5000A or a similar pen? Will the long cartridge fit in the pen along with the adapter?

And last, but not least, is there any advice on how much can I push my pen when writing? I like to sometimes press it a little harder to make a broader line on a page, I now I'm afraid that I've done it with to much force, somehow it seems, that my line is now broader if compared to one when pen was just bought. I can post photos of my nib if anybody is willing to help, but I don't have any magnifier glass handy right now.

Looking forward for any advice you can give in the relation to any of my questions.

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• E8x8

• Buzz_130

• ink-syringe

• randomist

Keep the converters. It's always good to have an heir and a spare.

I prefer the cartridges over the converters but I also don't refill cartridges. Life's already too short.

I doubt the long international cartridges will fit but give it a try. I love the adapters but with some pens the adapter adds just enough space to make a converter too long.

Don't push on nibs. Modern nibs are not meant to flex unless modified. Light hands rule.

My Website

• 4 weeks later...

I have the PTL-5000, Medium, it's a good-value gold nib pen and I would have thought a perfect pen for a starter. Use the converter, I think it holds a good amount although I don't have a figure. If you use the converter, it opens the world of inks to you, thousands of different colours, brands etc! Unless you do a lot of writing, you will get a day out of a converter-ful, just get in the habit of checking each evening that you're filled for the next day.

Diamine do a small (30ml) size bottle in case you're concerned about running out, it's plastic and unbreakable and will stand up to most use, so you could take one with you. And Diamine do a hundred or so colours, so you can experiment!

As jar says, don't press. The PTL is about average for stiffness, and my nib doesn't flex at all as I use it. The less pressure you apply, in general the smoother the nib feels, and for many people that's a benefit.

Owen

Platinum standard is a great little pen. congrats. An extra converter is helpful when you clean out the pen or switch inks, or if you buy another Platinum or one craps out. Keep it.

Platinum converter allows you to use bottled ink is all, but you can indeed syringe fill the converters and that has one added benefit and that is that you get the little agitator bead in there to help break the surface tension.

Alternately some Platinum inks are quite nice and I enjoy their Blue-Black (for one) so if you are on the go and don't want to fuss with bottles and syringes etc. Platinum has some good options try them before bothering with the adapter I'd say.

Those nibs will spring open with a little bit of occasional pressure but you can end up with a sprung nib. Go easy or you will be in trouble.

Great pen. I had one for a long time. Great value. Enjoy.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

>> For low long you can usually use one?

When you change inks, use a syringe to flush rather then use the converter. This will save wear and tear on the converter.

>> I like to sometimes press it a little harder to make a broader line on a page,

You might be able to change the line width a bit by changing the angle that you hold the pen. However, it sounds like you really need at least a medium if not a broad nib.

I'd just use one of the converters. Syringes are great when you're down to the last drops of ink in a bottle or sample, but they're a faff as an only refill method when you have converters sat there.

If you don't want to run out of ink in the middle of a day, just unscrew the barrel and check your ink level. If you need more ink, fill it. If you run out on a day that's convenient then clean it out with water before refilling. I don't see how you can schedule ink refills as you'll always have variations in ink usage, I find these can be very wide variations.

As for flexing nibs, don't do it with a nib you want to last. Especially as a new FP user, you need to learn pressure on pens that are basically disposable or use a light hand. The Lamy Al-Star would be better in this regard as the nibs are so easy to swap. If you want line variation, a 1.1 mm stub nib might be worth trying out.

Lots of great questions, and you have a great pen.

Keep your converters, and use them! Some people want to take their converters out and use a bulb to flush or syringe to fill. You will wear out the seal at the top of the converter with unnecessary wear and tear. Having water or ink flow into and out of the converter through nib and feed keeps your pen clean and ready to use.

If you are going weeks without filling the 1ml cartridge, you have no need to worry about a .5ml converter. Fill it up every day, if you have those concerns. You'll never run out. I find Platinum nibs to be ink misers and have the converter run for a good week with several pages a day of notes and writing.

Don't push your pen. It's not a flex nib. A fountain pen should write under the weight of the pen itself. Your hand should not be pushing on the pen down on the paper; it's part of the experience of writing with a fountain pen requiring a light hand and a feather touch to make that line of ink appear on the paper.

If you want line variation without practice, get a wide stub. If you want to spend time practicing to use a flex, get a dip pen. And then you can move over to a flex nib.

Buzz