Some Questions About Fountain Pen Montblanc Heritage 1912

SergeyASW

Good time of day. First of all, sorry for my english. Not so long ago, I began to think about the purchase of the Heritage 1912, and now there is a financial opportunity to purchase.

I have no opportunities to hold it in my hands there and a couple of its catalog features confuses me - namely, weight (47 grams) and the reviews in the net about the thickness of nib «F» line wider other Montblanc pens with nib «F». It is also not clear the longevity of the mechanism.

Before, I have not used Montblanc pens. Now I use Pelikan M805 «F», its size and weight suits me completely. However, the thickness of the line I would like a little less, and I want to try an easy flex. If someone owns a Heritage 1912, could you tell how much its weight feels and how it is balanced (if the weight is shifted up, I do not like this). Also I would be grateful responses of people holding Heritage 1912 «F» and Pelikan M800 \ 805 with a «F» nib for the comparative width of the line of writing.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• SergeyASW

• SE1980

• Mastiff

Hi Sergey,

Having had the opportunity to handle a Heritage 1912 not even 2 days ago, I can say that it feels very balanced, even though for me the pen is really a little too thin - I prefer pens with more girth.

I really doubt that the F nibs on a Heritage are thicker than the ones on other Montblanc pens, purely because of the fact that Montblanc manufactures their own nibs, to very tight and precise specifications. If there is variation in lien thickness, it may be cause by using a different ink, or by pressing harder when writing. Generally speaking, Montblanc nibs write a fraction less wide that Parker nibs with the same width denomination, if that is of any help.

In addition, the nib on a Montblanc pen may be exchanged for free within 6 weeks after purchase, provided it is still in excellent condition, and has not been tampered with. IOW, if it is too wide fro you after all, you can still exchange it for another.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Ok I've one with the F nib and the line isn't too thick, neither is it very thin as well. After turning the mechanism many times a day at work for over a year now, it's still very smooth so do not worry about the longevity of MB pens, they're very lasting.

Coming to balance of the pen, honestly it's very well-balanced throughout the entire length of the pen and the nib is super-smooth. Compared to my Lamy 2000 in M nib, the MB's nib is miles ahead and exceedingly pleasant to write with.

If you can get your hands on a 1912 now, grab it as I heard that MB no longer produces the 1912, even in black resin. So whatever is left available, once it's all sold out, it's gone.

Good luck!

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

Thanks to all who responded. Regarding the balance, the reliability and the line thickness in comparison with other Montblanc pens I realized. About smoothness of the Heritage nib I had heard before, so I think about this pen. It remains to understand the line width of the Heritage "F" nib in comparison with the Pelican M805 "F" nib, if someone has both of these pens write please.

I don't have a Pelikan so can't comment further on that, but that's all the info I can give you for now.

Cheers bro! :)

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

I own a Heritage 1912 with a fine nib. The line width is very close to my two 146's which also sport fine nibs. I hope this helps even though I can't offer you a direct answer to your question.

I can try to upload some writing samples, if you like.

Edited by meiers

Thank you, I have found writing samples with nib "F". However, I has decided not to buy in the online store , I will try to get to the nearest boutique to see the pen itself.

I am still waiting for my 1912 in the mail so I can't comment. But from my experience with 146's and m800's, I think the MB F is a little broader than the pelikan m800. Nevertheless, this 1912 apparently has a 'springy' nib so as pointed out above, writing with less pressure and using inks with lesser flow may make up for this difference.

There is some weight to the pen, more than you initially expect when you see it capped. I can say though that for me it is masterfully balanced. It's so comfortable to use I would highly recommend it.

http://i.imgur.com/xLE7ngQ.jpg

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

But do take note the 1912 doesn't have a very large ink capacity. I use it everyday at work and write modestly, filled ink on mondays and by friday to the following monday, will need to refill again.

I just received a 1912 in F today and I've got to say that I'm quite pleased with it. The nib appears to write marginally wider than the M800 F that I used to have, but is certainly within the range of Western Fine nibs. I'm sorry that I cannot provide you a comparison of the two.

The big difference is the feeling of quality. M800s certainly are no slouch in that department, but the mechanisms that extend and retract the nib and operate the piston on the 1912 really feel luxurious. It is a tremendously classy pen.

Very happy with my purchase!

Thanks for the comparison of lines - this is what I originally wanted to learn. Although the original intention to change my current Pelikan on the Heritage was due to the desire finer lines and greater flex (and the desire to try Montblanc fountain pen of course), I spent so much time to think about buying it (about a month) I've gotta just buy it to that question came out of my head. Nearest to me the dealer agreed to transfer the pen to his watch shop located in a couple of hours away from me in order to I looked on it. Also the diler gave me a 15% discount. So now, regardless of the thickness of the line, if it will suit me visually and feel in the hand, then I'll buy it. Thanks again to all responded.

If you are looking for a finer line, you may want to try an Extra Fine if they make that nib for the 1912. You can buy the pen with a Fine nib but you may be able to have it changed to an Extra Fine nib by Montblanc if they make an EF nib for that pen. However, I do not know this for sure.

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

If you are looking for a finer line, you may want to try an Extra Fine if they make that nib for the 1912. You can buy the pen with a Fine nib but you may be able to have it changed to an Extra Fine nib by Montblanc if they make an EF nib for that pen. However, I do not know this for sure.

They do.

While I don't have the Pelikan 805 or 800, I do have the 650, and I find that the line on the 650 is a little bit more fine than the 1912. The 1912's fine nib is, in comparison to other Montblanc nibs, very similar: fatter than expected and wet.

I write ver small and tend to use F to EF Japanese nibs to suit that. That said, the nib on the 1912 is such a joy to write with, it's been my EDC for the last month-and-change along with a TWSBI VAC Mini in F and a Kaweco Liliput in EF (yeah, they're all in different pockets; I may have a problem).

I generally use the TWSBI if I'm writing notes in a small book and use the 1912 for everything else because it's so well balanced and has the nice springy nib.

Keep in mind, the 1912 does not have a flex nib, in spite of its springiness.

If you really want a fine line, you take the pen to your local Montblanc boutique before inking it and ask them to swap the nib off for an EF for free in their nib exchange program. I had a M nib swapped for a F. I enjoy it so much, I bought another and am having them do a swap to an EF from an F.

Whatever you decide, enjoy it!

Just received my 1912 in medium this morning. I can report that this is a stunning pen. The 'precious' resin does, interestingly, feel precious, unlike other ones I have used. It almost feels sticky in hand like celluloid (no its not grease :) I washed my hands prior to handling it!)- anybody feel the same way??

In terms of line, it feels like a FINE nib. I don't know why, but my recent MB purchases (new) have made me feel uncomfortable about my usual choice of medium nibs. Has anyone noticed finer lines in the recent MB pens? Montblanc M in medium, which I also purchased a week or two ago, lays down quite a fine line (similar to Pelikan m800 EF), definitely narrower than Heritage 1912. It will be interesting to see how the Boheme doue I am waiting in mail behaves in terms of line width. I will probably end up sending all three pens to the MB boutique in Auckland for nib replacement to broad.

You might be OK with the Fine nib for MB 1912.

Congrats on your new pen. Interestingly, montblanc describe the cap as precious resin but the barrel as just 'black lacquered'. Can't say I notice any difference in the feel.

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

It's said the star emblem on the top cap is actually made of quartz, with a mother of pearl coating. Anyone can confirm this?

Mine just came in the mail yesterday. I love it. The mechanism is so smooth and precise. 47gr is quite of bit of pen. It is definitely not light. It is a medium and I would say it is a true medium. My Pelikan M805 with F writes thicker than the Heritage 1912. the balance is not bad. Its between a 50/50 and 60/40 with the nib end being the lighter. The M805 feels light compared to the Heritage 1912.

I forgot to write immediately after purchase. I bought my Heritage 1912 with F nib in the store 3 days ago. Excellent pen. And as I wanted, it writes noticeably thinner then my Pelikan M805(F) !