Lady Sheaffer 904 Medium Paisley Converter Problems

ladyshaeffer

Hi there,

I have been working on restoring my Lady Sheaffer 904 Medium nib Paisley pen. I have been more successful than I thought I would but now I am stuck again. So I thought I would turn for help to you all!

The pen was not in use for over twenty years. I flushed it out with water thoroughly. It has a squeeze converter that seems to work. The rubber sac does not seem damaged, no leaks, perhaps it holds just a hair less ink than it did before because the rubber is softer and exerts less pressure to suck the ink in. But still, it holds enough for me to be able to write for hours.

I have pumped with with light colored water and know it fills enough based on what I can retrieve when I squeeze it back out.

But when I filled it with ink, it wouldn't write. So I thought, there must some ink flow issues in the feed, etc?. I tried inserting a Mont Blanc Emerald Green cartridge, and voilà it started writing beautifully.

I now have a pen that writes beautifully, again, but remains dependent on cartridges. I'd much rather restore the converter or get a new old converter. The standard Sheaffer piston converter does not fit in this pen (too long). Is there another converter I don't know about? Is there a way to restore my original converter?

Peyton Street Pens say that the piston converter should work on numbered pens, but it didn't fit mine:

"You'll find Lady Sheaffer pens in two different configurations -- the ones with clips that have the inset semi-hooded "fingernail" nib, and clip-less models with short conical Triumph nibs. The first style has numbered models (we carry the Lady Sheaffer 904) and the second style has models denominated in Roman numerals (we usually have X and XI in stock). You'll find these pens in a wide variety of finishes, both in metal and enamel. You'll want to pay close attention to the converter style required ... the numbered models will all take either the squeeze converter or the modern piston converter, but the Roman numeral models vary and sometimes they cannot accommodate any converter, period."

Thanks so much for reading!

post-128812-0-25974800-1458060653_thumb.jpg

post-128812-0-02462900-1458061066_thumb.jpg

Edited by ladyshaeffer

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• ladyshaeffer

• terim

• ScienceChick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm surprised the MB cartridge fits. Keep checking it for leaks, and try to get hold of a Sheaffer cartridge, as the 'business ends' of both are quite different.

One thing you can try with your converter is eyedropping in some ink, then inserting the converter and pressing it (over a glass or cup, natch) to release a few drops of ink, thus seeing if any ink reaches the nib from the converter.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Hi Sailor Kenshin,

I tried what you suggested. I put about 1 ml of water in the converter with a syringe (just about to capacity), then inserted the converter into the section and squeezed it to see if any "ink" would come out the nib end. It did, but it also seemed to be coming from another place. The pressure I applied pushed the ink out of the converter into the feed (I imagine) and then the nib, but also pushed the ink a bit into the section and some ink came out from what seemed like the section (the barrel was off, of course). Still, most of it came out the nib end.

I am pretty certain there is no leak in the sac, but it could be that the converter contact point with the feed has widened a bit and resulting in some pressure imbalance. Would that stop the flow of ink for writing? I was thinking that I would more likely have a problem of leakage on my hands and on paper...

The MB cartridges are a great fit ... can almost hear a click fit sound.

I am not fond of cartridges very much at all and use them only if I absolutely have to. Thanks for your help!

Hmmm....

Ladysheaffer, I'm no expert in repairs by far, but do have a couple of those Lady Sheaffers. Mine are the clipless sort. I also have two squeeze converters. If you have thoroughly soaked and flushed the nib/section, I'm guessing that the problem lies with the converter. The simplest thing to do would be to get another squeeze converter. I think there are a couple of different sizes, so maybe check with Peyton Street Pens to make sure.

Right then, that's what I have done. Will post here again when "problem" is solved. In the meantime, if you think of anything else, do let me know.

Thanks!

Well, I'm gonna make a liar out of myself, but I can confirm the 904 fountain pens do not accept the modern piston converter. Neither do the 921s or the 922s.

It does sound like the squeeze converter is not making a tight seal around the post. It lets in too much air to get good capillary flow. If cartridges work, you should try a fresh squeeze converter. We do find the openings get worn and don't make a tight fit.

TERI

Thanks for responding, Terim. What about a dot of silicone grease to create a tighter seal?

Also, Sailor Kenshin seemed to think there are two squeeze converter sizes for the Lady Sheaffer 904. If so, which one would I look for? My converter does not have any markings on it.

Thanks for responding, Terim. What about a dot of silicone grease to create a tighter seal?

Also, Sailor Kenshin seemed to think there are two squeeze converter sizes for the Lady Sheaffer 904. If so, which one would I look for? My converter does not have any markings on it.

I wasn't sure...I do know there's a regular and a slim converter for the Targa models, but whether the same applies to Lady Sheaffers...

See...told you I was no expert. ;)

I don't think silicone grease is going to solve the problem, it'll probably just end up getting in the wrong places and it won't do much to permanently expand the plastic that has loosened. The slim converter will probably be too tight on the post, I think the holes are smaller. See if you can find a fresher converter, one that will make a good connection to the post. We tried "rehabbing" a slack converter the other day in hot water, but the opening didn't miraculously re-form the way we'd hoped.

I have a Lady Sheaffer VI Paisley (from Peyton Street Pens) and converters just don't fit the pen. Teri said they tried every converter they had (and so have I) to no avail. Current Sheaffer carts fit and I've been refilling them once empty.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

I have a Lady Sheaffer VI Paisley (from Peyton Street Pens) and converters just don't fit the pen. Teri said they tried every converter they had (and so have I) to no avail. Current Sheaffer carts fit and I've been refilling them once empty.

Was that by any chance the periwinkle one with the broad nib, of which I am insanely jealous? ;)

I can't remember the Sheaffer pen, but I have a "hack" that might help with the piston converter. In my case the handle end was just a hair too wide so I just put it in a pencil sharpener and made it a bit more pointed. Not pretty, but it worked.

Was that by any chance the periwinkle one with the broad nib, of which I am insanely jealous? ;)

Indeed, it would :) Its juicy nib more than compensates for the minor irritation of refilling cartridges.

Edited by ScienceChick

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q