Is My Mb Starwalker A Fake?

atriya

I was gifted a used MB Starwalker fountain pen by my girlfriend yesterday, which I suspect is a fake (unknown to her). I have never used or even held a MB before, but I think this one feels relatively light and plasticky. It uses cartridges. I couldn't find a serial number anywhere on the cap, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place - do I need to take off the cap and clip? The nib doesn't have 14 Kt or 18 Kt on it, but has the MB logo, 'Au585' on the next line, a strange logo with what appears to be 'StOd' on the next, and 'MONTBLANC' on the fourth line. I've attached quite a few images, which can be zoomed into quite a bit for closer inspection when opened in full size. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://s27.postimg.org/b2g02y5in/L1000099.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• atriya

• HermetiC

• Out0Mind

• Caestus75

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not an expert but it looks legit to me. I just bought a Mont Blanc from a boutique, and my box looks like yours. (though that could be real and the pen fake) However, the Nib looks ok too. Perhaps you could post a more clear picture. Let me show you how my nib looks...

Just a side story, I went in to buy a pen at a local boutique and the "precious resin" pens felt like garbage and were just terrible in my hand. NOT what I expected. The pen I ended up buying gelt like a real writing instrument, something of value. Otherwise they were light as all get up.

post-128731-0-82586600-1458020668_thumb.jpg

post-128731-0-96112300-1458020782_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caestus75

While I couldn't say for 100% sure, I have a Starwalker as well (the Extreme Steel variant), and the nib looks identical. Starwalkers have the squared-off flat rear. The rear has the raised bubble with the floating snowflake and the grip looks right.

I will say, the "precious resin" models are very light - essentially plastic - compared to the metal versions, so I'm not surprised you're feeling like it doesn't weigh anything. I've gone the metal-lacquer route for that very reason, so don't let that dissuade you.

Looking at my pen, the nib lettering is also identical.

Do you have any more info on the pen like the production year?

It looks legit to me. Fake Starwalkers use a chinese "Iridum Point Germany" nib.

Serial number is in the top lateral part of the clip.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad the pen is probably not a fake. I still can't find the serial number though - it certainly doesn't seem to be visible anywhere without taking the clip apart / removing it from the cap in some way. Also, I don't have further details like the production year, unfortunately.

The serial number should be on the side of the clip near the "M" on the ring that attaches clip, cap, and dome. The photo isn't quite clear enough to make it out, but it should be in view in the last picture of your original post. Hope that helps.

Your Montblanc StarWalker and the accompanying box look to be completely authentic. As already pointed out, the serial number of your pen is actually in one of your pictures. The dead giveaway for most fake Montblanc pens is the box and yours is authentic. The nib design on StarWalker models are different than what you may expect from Meisterstück models.

In terms of the weight, many people tend to associate high quality with heavy weight. In the case of Montblanc and many luxury pen brands, the opposite it true. The pen is light due to their proprietary resin material, which allows for excellent balance in most pen models. When you are doing some serious writing with a pen for over 30 minutes, you will feel the difference in your hand with a light-weight pen as opposed to a heavy one!

Congrats on a wonderful gift!!

Edited by Mister Mont Blanc

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

I hope it is a genuine one.

In my opinion the best way to tell if an MB is a fake is to hold the "precious resin" up to a strong light and a real MB should show as being a sort of purple as opposed to either opaque or black as the fakes.

Please note you do need a strong light source for this.

Regarding magnets - remember that if a magnet sticks it is fake but if it doesn't it doesn't mean its real as many stainless steel nibs do not stick to magnets either.

I purchased a MB in a car boot sale and was that happy with my bargain that I only realised it was fake when:-

1. The Piston Filler was a converter

2. The colour of the "precious resin" was black.

3. The cap fit isn't perfect

Otherwise it is an excellent copy and is not attracted to a magnet. The engraving serial number and pix on the back of the clip are all present and when compared with my MB traveller the engraving using a 10x loupe appears identical - in fact I hadn't realised that the number one they use is in a strange font until I did this!

MB

Edited by shrekito