Mont Blanc Meisterstück Solitaire Blue Hour Legrand Fountain Pen

Caestus75

Today was a day that I never thought would happen. As I've only been in the Fountain pen scene for about 3 years now, owning various Visconti, Pilot, Parker, and Waterman Pens. Simply put, I never thought I'd own a Mont Blanc. The "precious resin" Mont Blanc uses just seems like plastic, the same as my Visconti or Parker pens. They just seemed completely overrated.

Fast forward to this week. I love my Waterman Exception and the nib is just glorious. it wrote so well it was what I used on the daily. I was very distraught when I discovered that I had lost the pen. It must have fallen out of my pants pocket somehow. I had that pen for a little over a year. I loved it so much I bought a new one.

However, as I knew I wanted to buy a new pen I did some research and I went to a local Mont Blanc Boutique to look at the Boheme. The idea of a retractable nib appealed to me and the reviews looked great. As I was testing it.... the nibs they had for testing were awful. However, I attributed it to them being testing pens and people writing with them who didn't know how to. The Medium Nib wrote terribly but it looked like someone bent the tines a bit.

Though I liked the mechanics of the Boheme, it was just too light for my liking, and I didn't like the fact it was cartridge only. I almost pulled the trigger but I decided I'd have buyers remorse in the long run. The sales rep asked me why I was not going to buy I let her know it was because the pen was too light and I was off-put by the idea of only being able to use cartridge. She showed me another pen, a piston filler. It had a much better weight and it was a retractable nib. It was much better, but the gold trim just was not my thing and I let her know I disliked the gold trim, and the idea it was still precious resin" just did not make me sit well with the price tag. So she asked me once again what I'd want and I stated to her I really like the color blue and I'd be ok with a blue resin pen. She let me know she had something new and that she'd be right back.

She left me alone in the store and came back with a big smile on her face and said "I think you're going to love this pen"

As she was un boxing it I was anticipating something lack luster and then she opened the box, pulled out the pen and put it in my hand. I was immediately over-joyed. The weight was perfect for me, and the color was just STUNNING. I immediately loved the feel of this pen and I slid the dry nib across paper as though it was filled with ink. It was amazing, and I thought I must have this pen.

The only downside is it cost double what I originally was planning to spend. They did "throw in" a free engraving as well at least....

Below are the pictures:

post-128731-0-82714000-1457744149_thumb.jpg

The pen has a nice texture that reminds me a little bit of carbon fiber but the texture is just awesome I am also a big fan of the rhodium trim.

post-128731-0-14675000-1457744159_thumb.jpg

I had the pen clip engraved with my initials

post-128731-0-45748300-1457744178_thumb.jpg

and in case you were wondering, this metal was made in Germany

post-128731-0-28470300-1457744188_thumb.jpg

post-128731-0-09678300-1457744211_thumb.jpg

post-128731-0-32118200-1457744231_thumb.jpg

post-128731-0-40066200-1457744240_thumb.jpg

post-128731-0-74225500-1457744256_thumb.jpg

I really like how this pen does post as I was afraid it might not. It also feels really good posted.

post-128731-0-42987900-1457744275_thumb.jpg

The nib detail is really fun to look at and it is 18k solid gold and has a nice amount of flex on it

post-128731-0-16194200-1457744141_thumb.jpg

The detail on this nib is truly amazing. I personally use Pilot ink because being left handed I have issues with ink being left on my hand. This pen loves the Pilot ink I use so no issues there.

Overall the build quality is outstanding, the one thing I wish this pen had was an ink window but I think that might detract from the overall beauty. I am now proud to say I own a Mont Blanc that is a true master piece.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caestus75

• Tom Kellie

• Raif79

• Honeybadgers

Congratulations on your new Blue Hour. Enjoy it for many years!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Very pretty pen. I've avoided going into a MB store to look at them in person to avoid making an impulsive decision. This will be a reward pen, I just need to figure out the right accomplishment.

What a beauty! Enjoy your new treasure!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thank you everyone. I had a good quarter at work so this was my reward. I think it makes a great statement, and I love how it looks bright blue at times and almost black at times. I am incredibly pleased with how the nib writes.

So far this pen is a joy. I'm looking forward to seeing how to change colors in a piston filler as this is my first one.

P.S:

Please tell me what you like in a good review. As this is my first review I would like to expand to it. I plan to add writing samples soon.

Edited by Caestus75

Congratulations on your new purchase, she is a beauty!

The only thing that prevents be following your lead is the absence of an ink window.

Amazing pen and thanks to you I know have an urge to buy one!!!!

PoA: Copernicus; JP Morgan  WE: Hemingway; Proust; Dickens; Mann; Twain; Swift  149's: 1986 2 tone; 75th 1924 LE; 90th Anniversary; Platinum; Kingsman Edition; Calligraphy 

146 Solitaire: Hematite; Gold & Black; Silver Fibre Guilloche.

Misc: 234 1/2L; Boheme Medium size non-retractable BB nib; Starwalker FP & RB; Montblanc Newson (Matt)

Want to Buy MB 129, 139 , 138 136  & 149 Silver Rings or Special Nibs

It's a very beautiful pen. I've never been able to get a sense of the size of it though as pictures don't seem to be in someone's hand or in comparison. Is it the same size as the 146?

It's a very beautiful pen. I've never been able to get a sense of the size of it though as pictures don't seem to be in someone's hand or in comparison. Is it the same size as the 146?

I am pretty sure the size is exactly the 146. The box even says 146 on it. What drew me to this pen is the weight is so balanced and feels right in my hand. I don't get tired with it but I can feel it's there.

As I am new to Mont Blanc Pens I think the only difference between the 146 and 149 is the size/nib size.

That's gorgeous! I'm not usually a fan of MB designs, but I love that!

It looks so much like carbon fiber. Would have fooled me!

Wow! Gorgeous pen. I'm going to be in Tampa in a few days. I'll have to stop by the Montblanc boutique and check one out.

That's gorgeous! I'm not usually a fan of MB designs, but I love that!

It looks so much like carbon fiber. Would have fooled me!

The pictures do not do it justice. There is a VERY nice blue shine that shows up in high light, but low light it almost looks deep deep blue/black. In bright white light or direct sun light it looks like a different pen! I felt the same way about Mont Blanc until I saw this pen!!!

Wow! Gorgeous pen. I'm going to be in Tampa in a few days. I'll have to stop by the Montblanc boutique and check one out.

I really was not a fan of Mont Blancs as the "precious resin" was really of putting to me and the quality just was not there for me! Once I saw this pen I knew I had to own it.

I live in Miami by the way and was in Tampa 3 weeks ago :)

Oh what a Panzer! It really has something more in it than in a standard resin version.

By the way, I find it quite disturbing, that all the demonstration nibs at MB store were so disasterous...

It may be worth to have a look at my classifieds :)

Oh what a Panzer! It really has something more in it than in a standard resin version.

By the way, I find it quite disturbing, that all the demonstration nibs at MB store were so disasterous...

I agree, they were super scratchy. I honestly think they need to clean their nibs more frequently. I could see dried ink caked up on it.

I am not over exaggerating when I say they wrote like a 12 dollar pen. However, the nib on mine is quite nice. It's a very good medium with good flow (with Pilot ink) It does not do so well with blue hour ink on the paper I use.

I can honestly say I will -never- buy a Mont Blanc pen that is made of "precious resin"

I was just in the Montblanc boutique in Tampa. They didn't have one for me to ink up, but I did get to try out one. It is heavy! My 149 felt lightweight in my hand compared to the Blue Hour. I will say that it is a beautiful pen. I like it a lot. Congrats on yours! Maybe one day I'll get one. I'm thinking about going back and getting the Heritage 1912. I like gizmos and gadgets and the 1912 is pretty neat...and heavy.

I was just in the Montblanc boutique in Tampa. They didn't have one for me to ink up, but I did get to try out one. It is heavy! My 149 felt lightweight in my hand compared to the Blue Hour. I will say that it is a beautiful pen. I like it a lot. Congrats on yours! Maybe one day I'll get one. I'm thinking about going back and getting the Heritage 1912. I like gizmos and gadgets and the 1912 is pretty neat...and heavy.

I am glad you got to experience it. The moment I put it in my hand I knew I was going over budget that day! I tried to negotiate for even a free bottle of ink! No dice lol.. They offered me free engraving (that was offered already on the Mont Blanc website)

I'm a person who likes to negotiate. Weather it be a Refrigerator, a Car, someone doing my roof. I pulled out all the stops and they didn't budge a bit.

I am extremely happy with this beautiful writing instrument. The solid construction and color is just splendid. The Heritage 1912 was really nice, I loved the feel and weight I just was not sold on the only black color. Maybe if I ever get to the executive level though.

The 149 was a pen that I could never buy. Don't get me wrong it looks wonderful and I am sure it's wonderous and a great size, but I cannot imagine buying a pen like that. What I mean by that is the light weight...the feeling of the "precious resin" After interrogating the sales associate they admitted to me it's basically plastic lol...

I am glad you got to experience it. The moment I put it in my hand I knew I was going over budget that day! I tried to negotiate for even a free bottle of ink! No dice lol.. They offered me free engraving (that was offered already on the Mont Blanc website)

I'm a person who likes to negotiate. Weather it be a Refrigerator, a Car, someone doing my roof. I pulled out all the stops and they didn't budge a bit.

I am extremely happy with this beautiful writing instrument. The solid construction and color is just splendid. The Heritage 1912 was really nice, I loved the feel and weight I just was not sold on the only black color. Maybe if I ever get to the executive level though.

The 149 was a pen that I could never buy. Don't get me wrong it looks wonderful and I am sure it's wonderous and a great size, but I cannot imagine buying a pen like that. What I mean by that is the light weight...the feeling of the "precious resin" After interrogating the sales associate they admitted to me it's basically plastic lol...

They would not budge on the Heritage 1912. They DID offer me free ink though. I really want the Heritage 1912 but I'm not prepared to pay boutique msrp on it. I really don't want to go gray market on it because the mechanism is so complex and I don't want to be up the creek without a paddle should it fail or run into trouble. Maybe I should just be happy with my 149's and 146's.

As for your feeling on the 149, I totally understand. It is a very big plastic pen. It is light compared to other pens (especially the Blue Hour). I like the weight though. Inked up it adds a wee bit more weight to it. I have very large hands so it feels great in my hand, as does my Pelikan M805. I do own and enjoy tiny pens too like the Pelikan 100. I'm curious how your hand feels after using the Blue Hour to write a full page or two. Anyone reading this, please go try the Blue Hour and see for yourself how heavy that sucker is.

They would not budge on the Heritage 1912. They DID offer me free ink though. I really want the Heritage 1912 but I'm not prepared to pay boutique msrp on it. I really don't want to go gray market on it because the mechanism is so complex and I don't want to be up the creek without a paddle should it fail or run into trouble. Maybe I should just be happy with my 149's and 146's.

As for your feeling on the 149, I totally understand. It is a very big plastic pen. It is light compared to other pens (especially the Blue Hour). I like the weight though. Inked up it adds a wee bit more weight to it. I have very large hands so it feels great in my hand, as does my Pelikan M805. I do own and enjoy tiny pens too like the Pelikan 100. I'm curious how your hand feels after using the Blue Hour to write a full page or two. Anyone reading this, please go try the Blue Hour and see for yourself how heavy that sucker is.

Taking notes at a meeting on Wednesday I felt pretty good taking 3-4 pages of notes. Not full 8x11 pages though. The pen does have weight but if I position the nib right it just dances across the page with the weight of the pen.