• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tinjapan

• Maurizio

• Lam1

• mongrelnomad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any chance the 845 will get lower in price?

I doubt it. In an old thread, Some one detailed the meaning behind the number code of the Pilot models. 845 means it was first released in the 84th year of the Pilot company and sells for ¥50,000. As that posted pointed out, it is quite remarkable that Pilot does not change the cost of their numbered pens even when the economy a/o value of the Yen go down.

If this is the 100th year for Pilot, then the 845 has been selling for the same price for 16 years! I am not aware of very many other products, any other kind of priducts) that have been selling for the same price for the last 16 years.

I doubt it. In an old thread, Some one detailed the meaning behind the number code of the Pilot models. 845 means it was first released in the 84th year of the Pilot company and sells for ¥50,000. As that posted pointed out, it is quite remarkable that Pilot does not change the cost of their numbered pens even when the economy a/o value of the Yen go down.

If this is the 100th year for Pilot, then the 845 has been selling for the same price for 16 years! I am not aware of very many other products, any other kind of priducts) that have been selling for the same price for the last 16 years.

Well Japan has had very little inflation in the last 16 years ...

Well Japan has had very little inflation in the last 16 years ...

HUH!! Say what!?!?!???

When I first can to Japan, a can of from a vending machine cost ¥70, it now costs ¥140.

While it is true that some prices have fallen, this is more due to stores like Wal-Mart (Seiyu), 100 yen stores and other low cost shopping opportunities, prices in most things are going up, except my pay. Electricity is going up, until recently gasoline was, cell phones up. I can't think of anything that hasn't except for some fountain pens.

When I first can to Japan, a can of from a vending machine cost ¥70, it now costs ¥140.

While it is true that some prices have fallen, this is more due to stores like Wal-Mart (Seiyu), 100 yen stores and other low cost shopping opportunities, prices in most things are going up, except my pay. Electricity is going up, until recently gasoline was, cell phones up. I can't think of anything that hasn't except for some fountain pens.

Like I said, the last few yrs maybe different because the BoJ (Bank of Japan) and the Abe government have an explicit policy of raising inflation. They have done this via easy money policies and sales tax etc. However, prior to this, inflation in Japan was zero basically from 1992 to 2012.

The Japanese lost decade(s)? Japan is a very interesting study in economics

Interests rates are now negative in Japan but prices are a different matter. Yes, an interesting study, but living it is different from studying it. And yes, things have been changing more rapidly in the past couple of years but prices have been creeping up ever since I first came here in 1992.

Before Abe starting cranking out Yen at the pace of the US Fed with USDs, there was talk of possible deflation but even then prices had been on the rise, perhaps stalled a bit at that particular point in time.

Land prices were at the bottom when we bought our home ten years ago. They had been increasing, not sure of these past couple of years though.

It is true that price increases in coffee, eggs, butter and other such items are often caused by other factors, but the reality I pay each month does not match what I often read in the newspapers. Perhaps by comparison Japan has had little inflation, I don't know, but it is shoking to read that Japan has had little inflation during my entire time in country when I have seen prices for just about every thing go up since I arrived.

Interesting. Thanks for putting it into perspective Tinjapan. I'll let you and Parnesh argue economic policy

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Interesting. Thanks for putting it into perspective Tinjapan. I'll let you and Parnesh argue economic policy

Yeah, sorry about that! I seem to have forgotten which site I was posting to.

shocker :rolleyes:

+1.

Why only black? :gaah:

Oh, well, I still will have to start saving my pennies. And the KoP will just be pushed further down the wish list, because I'll take a pilot any day over a sailor.

Edited by Lam1

Traditionally, urushi comes in only two colors, black and red. The red, however, comes in many varieties but still a red or at least redish.

I have posted a photo of four black urushi pens in another thread in the Japan forum, and I thought it might be appropriate to post it again here, since all four pens belong to the larger than normal variety:

Namiki Yukari Royale, Nakaya Cigar Writer, Ban-ei for Danitrio and Yotsubishi. The last two are Japanese eyedroppers. I wonder how the new Pilot flagship pen will look like.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/P5231183_zpsevazsndo.jpg

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/P5231184a_zpsvssmvmso.jpg

I too have a thing about urushi pens- I just cannot resist them! But yes, these pens are stunning.

Wow, they look amazing! I would be happy to own any one of these. The Yotsubishi nib gives the Yukari Royale a run for its money!

I bet they look absolutely stunning in real life.

Agreed!

Inquisitive Quill on Instagram and YouTube 

Wow mchenart, beautiful. Thanks for posting those gems.

I hope to own a Yukari Royale someday, though the cost puts me off a bit. I think I'll start with a Pilot Custom 845 and see if I like it. I also want a Platinum Izumo.

Pilotiophiles: what size nib dos the Yukari Royale employ?

Tinjapan - no problem; I enjoyed your post and appreciate your insight as someone "on the ground" at ground zero for a pen, paper and ink aficionado like me: Japan. My son is crazy about Pokemon and I'm hoping to visit there before he outgrows the craze; Japan is ground zero too for his Pokmon stuff

(and Nintndo HQ too).

Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com