Soon To Be Released New Pilot Pen

Tinjapan

Doesn't look like they intend to release this pen in the US. That doesn't make sense to me.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tinjapan

• Maurizio

• Lam1

• mongrelnomad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They never released the 845 in the US so it wouldn't surprise me if this didn't make it either. I'm sure there are reasons why not but in my mind there are more reasons why yes.

Pilot seems to be focused on the Japanese market, especially when it comes to their high-end pens.

Scientia potentia est.

If someone can get Pilot to make a vermillion version I'll be interested. As it is now, in black, I don't think it has the feeling that drew me to purchasing my MB 149.

I was in Tokyo last weekend and visited a few places. The new pen was really on my radar... I was planning to purchase it.

I tried it at Maruzen during their pen fair. I tried the M-F, M and B nibs at the Pilot counter. The pen was sold out at Itoya, but there was a single piece left at Maruzen and at another one at Ayoama pen boutique.

I was left unimpressed by the pen. It is really just an oversize 845. I was hoping to get some special vibes from the new nib, but I felt it a bit scratchy and could not really appreciate any difference from number 15 nibs. I was quite disappointed and I did not buy (also considering the 88,000 yen price tag, plus 8 per cent tax at Maruzen). I suspect that it will not stay in production for long... so apart from the scarcity factor, I do not think the pen is particularly attractive.

Just as there was a craze for oversized watches, so it seems with pens. I have an 845 and find the size "just right". Larger would be unwieldy. Never something I could use for long periods. The 845 has such a great balance and proportion... distorting it like this seems so much more of a curiosity than conventional.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been this excited about a pen in a while. I really like the 845 ...though I'd wished it were just a bit bigger. Then factor in the fact that I like Japanese pens in general, I like HUGE nibs and I also prefer somewhat understated pens. Perhaps the only thing that slightly turns me off is the gold trim. I go for rhodium/silver trim when given a choice.

These are hard to locate, at least to someone who is not in Japan and who doesn't know anyone personally who travels there. I'd heard they made a very, very low number of these for the first run and so now we're waiting until about August for the next batch.

I guess I'm forced to be patient!

• 3 months later...

Do you think the Pilot Custom Urusei will ever make it to the US market?

Whether it does or not you can always buy directly from Japan. As long as you stick with established sellers your risks are pretty limited. I'm not sure where to buy this specific pen (it sounds like they're hard to find even if you're local) but the 845 is readily available.

Whether it does or not you can always buy directly from Japan. As long as you stick with established sellers your risks are pretty limited. I'm not sure where to buy this specific pen (it sounds like they're hard to find even if you're local) but the 845 is readily available.

I have a trusted seller I go through and he did some asking around for me --sounds like their initial run may have been as low as 10 units (?!!) and the next batch is due in September.

I went to Ginza 6 over the weekend and they had the Custom Urushi available at Tsutaya book store.

• 4 weeks later...

I managed to get my friend who was visiting Tokyo to get one for me a couple weeks ago. She managed to snag the last one from Takashimaya.

The first impression of the pen for me is its enormous size. To say it compares with the 149 is not doing the pen justice with it's sheer presence and size. It might look pretty normal sized in the photos, but the volume of the pen is just at a different size level. It's really the next size up from the 149, because the cap is simply enormous, and the girth of the pen correspondingly thick.

Size is such a deceptive thing. I have never thought much about sizes of Japanese pens, other than they are much smaller than their European counterpart. I was actually then surprised to find that the Yukari Royale I have closer to the 149 in size despite the much smaller nib. It shows you how considered the design of the Yukari is because it fits the hand so well, whereas the 149 is really all over the map with regards to its ergonomics. This Custom, however is just sized to the next level. I don't have a lot of pens in this size category, other than the Emperor and a few of those oversized Indian eyedropper pens.

Other than the size, the other quite unique about this pen is the softness of the nib. Its MUCH softer than any other pilot nib I have, including the Yukari and the Emperor. In fact its scarily soft. Because it's so soft, this medium writes more like a Western Medium, which is very wet and wide.

This pen is so unlike any other Japanese pen I own because its so oversize, the nib so huge, so wet and soft. I have wondered whether this is going to be primarily an export pen for Pilot, because I can't see this selling in huge numbers in Japan.

It is soft because of 2 reasons:

1. Bigger nib - inherently soft

2. Pilot nibs tend to be thinner than their Namiki nibs. If you compare, the Emperor nib would be thicker than Pilot #30 nib which gives it additional softness.

Of course, I am not counting the #10 pilot nibs rebranded as Namiki used on Chinkin art collection.

I like pens with "unique" features, that said i adore the urushi #30 nib very beautiful and large too

I fancy having pens with large nibs as i can admire the nib while writing (plus showing off), and currently big nibs I have a,
- Delta dolce vita OS ( #8 i think)

- peli M1K demo ( #?? not sure)

- Ambitious Nib 40mm on an indian demo pen

can someone tell me Pilot's #30 nib size is what number or is it bigger than any of my pen nibs above ?

also what is the urushi #30 nib jut out length ?

Crystal Clear Demonstrators are such marvels, each with their set of stories clearly written out for all to feast on.

I went to Ginza 6 over the weekend and they had the Custom Urushi available at Tsutaya book store.

This pen's popping up quite a bit, there was another at Daikanyama T-Site last week.

I like pens with "unique" features, that said i adore the urushi #30 nib very beautiful and large too

I fancy having pens with large nibs as i can admire the nib while writing (plus showing off), and currently big nibs I have a,

- Delta dolce vita OS ( #8 i think)

- peli M1K demo ( #?? not sure)

- Ambitious Nib 40mm on an indian demo pen

can someone tell me Pilot's #30 nib size is what number or is it bigger than any of my pen nibs above ?

also what is the urushi #30 nib jut out length ?

The pilot #30 nib is supposed to be about the same size as the nib on your M1000.

It's a bloated, uncouth, thug of a pen. I've seen it available everywhere - even stationary shops in dead-end towns. I don't forsee it getting any love from any customers, anywhere...

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

It's a bloated, uncouth, thug of a pen. I've seen it available everywhere - even stationary shops in dead-end towns. I don't forsee it getting any love from any customers, anywhere...

I'm interested in this pen but I see your point. I think exactly the same about the Pelikan M1005 that I own. I suppose you haven't taken it in your hand, have you?

Roger

I'm interested in this pen but I see your point. I think exactly the same about the Pelikan M1005 that I own. I suppose you haven't taken it in your hand, have you?

Roger

I have. It is an entirely charmless creation.

Too many pens; too little writing.

I have. It is an entirely charmless creation.

Ok! Thanks for your opinion.

Roger

This description only makes me want the pen more! ;)