Coral Sea, Catalpa And Violet Vote

effrafax

Hello Good People,

Inspired by some comments following my recent purchase of what are probably the last bottles of Coral Sea and Catalpa for sale in Australia, I did a quick and dirty comparison of those inks, along with Violet Vote, both the original formula and the 'last batch' formulation, which arrived today courtesy of Anderson Pens (usual disclaimer applies).

I included a few other inks to hand for comparison purposes, so that it is easier to judge the colours, given the variations in the way different computer screens display colours.

So here's the comparison sheet:

fpn_1457367532__coralseacatalpavioletvot

The paper is Rhodia 80 gsm.

The colours are fairly close to the original on my laptop screen, so it should give a fairly good indication. Note that the swabs for the two Violet Votes are the wrong way round (had a brain spasm at the time!).

The Coral Seas and Catalpas look identical, but you should be able to see that the newer VV is much redder than the original, and to me it's not quite as nice a colour. Here's a quick shot of the two bottles side by side (original on the left):

fpn_1457367588__bottlesnormallight.jpg

Quite different. What was even more surprising, was when I accidentally shone UV light on the bottle:

fpn_1457367666__bottlesunderuv.jpg

Sorry about the poor focus, and for some reason the bottles ended up the other way around (original on the right), but the effect is obvious, and you can see the glow from the label of the original bottle.

So I did another quick and dirty comparison sheet, with some of the Noodler's UV reactive inks that I had to hand. Photographing that under UV, given that I only had a small UV torch (flashlight), was a little challenging, but I hope the results speak for themselves. First the sheet in normal light:

fpn_1457367930__samplesnormallight.jpg

Please excuse the odd blots, my Ahab did a burp. The paper is a sheet of Moleskine from a cahier, which has no UV-reactive chemicals added, so it highlights the effect. Here's the same sheet in UV only:

fpn_1457368140__samplesuv.jpg

You can clearly see that the new-formula VV is fluorescing in UV light, and the original formula looks almost black as it's not reacting, but there's enough visible light to show it on the page with a hint of violet.

The Catalpa and Coral Sea didn't show up as well in the photo as they do by eye, nor did the Fox Red. Here are the bottles under UV, with Coral Sea on the left:

fpn_1457368905__cs-fr-catunderuv.jpg

Well, that was fun. I hope it's been of some interest to you.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• effrafax

• amberleadavis

• UDog

• DrDebG

Thank you for the comparisons of the original and the final (new) Violet Vote, which people have asked about. As well as the UV results. That is very interesting. Excellent work.

Yes, excellent review and great comparion of the different versions. That has been -- and still is -- a lot of interest to me!

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

White Lotus & Mike, Thanks for your positive comments. I realise that with these three inks being exclusives and end-of-the-line, this is of curiosity value only, but it was interesting to do.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

Nicely done and very helpful! Thank you.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thanks for your kind words, UDog and DrPenfection.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

You're welcome!

Cheers,

Effrafax.

• 2 weeks later...

This makes me so glad that I got these three inks in their original formulations and before they disappeared for good. I'm still sad I missed out on some Noodler's exclusives like Tahitian Pearl and Iron Chancellor, but at least I got a few of them!

• 2 months later...

Thank you for this great comparison.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY