Graf Von Faber-Castell Tamitio

visvamitra

I like unusual style, especially when it goes hand in hand with quality. Functionality is important as well. For me both design and function work together to produce a useful product. When it comes to stationery products I find it beneficial that the product is both pleasing to the sensibility while fulfilling my need for the product. This is a hard task for designers and engineers who sometimes come at odds with these contrasting principles, which in the end is dictated by cost effectiveness. It could be that the most cost effective product compromises on aesthetics, or a beautiful product doesn't work effectively. Happily for us it’s not always the case. One of the brands of fountain pens that provide a full package of experience is Faber-Castell / Graf von Faber-Castell. Fountain pens signed with FC / GvFC logo stand out from the competition thanks to interesting design, materials used for production and quality.

Just look at their affordable workhorse pens – Faber-Castell Ambition and Emotion. They truly stand out in their price range. On the other hand company’s premium products with Graf von Faber-Castell and Handmade in Germany logo are expensive and moderately competitive. They look great, they write well, they are carefully crafted and finished. Still, for the price of 300 – 600 $ you can buy a lot of interesting fountain pens made of unusual materials (Visconti Homo Sapiens, Visconti Wall Street) and equipped with interesting filling system (vacuum-filler, Bulkfiller ). Graf von Faber-Castell doesn’t experiment a lot and creates only pens filled with cartridges or converter. For the money needed to get GvFC pen you can have Conid, Pelikan M800 / M1000 and even one of Montblanc Meisterstuck pens.

Of course, when we speak about premium products it’s important to notice that purchasing decision it is rarely taken only on the basis of the price or value for money. Many purchases are made against common sense mainly for the pleasure – also aesthetic pleasure. I guess that’s one of the reasons (the other – more obvious – is that Faber-Castell successfully operates in many product categories and their portfolio is diversified) why Graf von Faber-Castell finds its place on the market. There are people willing to pay dearly for their pens. I'm one of them.

Tamitio

Some time ago I came across an ad showing Tamitio line. I was hooked – the pen looked elegant and interesting with its ribbed body and matte finish.

fpn_1457270673__tamitio12.jpg

fpn_1457270548__tamitio_11.jpg

fpn_1457270572__tamitio_5.jpg

Tamitio has an interesting name. I don’t know if the word means anything or it’s just supposed to sound well. Google Translate has detected a word Tamitio in Samoan. However it translates it to English and other languages as Tamitio and that doesn’t tell me anything. It sounds good though.

Some time ago I came across an ad showing Tamitio line. I was hooked – the pen looked elegant and interesting with its ribbed body and matte finish. It’s easy to say – from sight alone – that Tamitio was made by GvFC. The design is unmistakable. The finely fluted barrel made of metal is lacquered in several elaborate working steps. This varnish imparts a matte finish which is non-reflective and smooth to the touch. The front section, rear section and cap are all polished metal. The fluted body gives the pen a sleek look and allows for a solid grip. Tamitio is offered with an Extra Fine, Fine, Medium or Broad nib.

Fit and finish

fpn_1457270604__tamitio_8.jpg

fpn_1457270615__tamitio_9.jpg

fpn_1457270560__tamitio_10.jpg

fpn_1457270594__tamitio_7.jpg

This is a weighty but well balanced pen. The attention to detail and finish are impressive. Ribbed, metal body covered with dozens of layers of lacquer feels great in hand. Also the matte finish contrasts nicely with steel elements.

Nib

fpn_1457270730__tamitio_nib_1.jpg

fpn_1457270643__tamitio_nib_2.jpg

fpn_1457270662__tamitio_nib_4.jpg

fpn_1457270701__tamitio_pismo.jpg

fpn_1457274174__tamitio_b.jpg

I appreciate Graf von Faber-Catsell fountain pens not only for their design but also for their excellent nibs. I had few of their pens and all wrote very well. Tamitio is unusual pen compared to the rest of GvFC portfolio – it has steel nib. To be honest I’m surprised that the company associated with premium fountain pens decided to extend the range of their pens with a steel nib. Until now, I was convinced that the division was simple – Faber-Castell fountain pens offer interesting design and are equipped with a steel nib, while the Graf von Faber-Castell logo appears only on gold nibbed premium fountain pens.
I like steel nibs, actually my favorite pen has steel nib. On the other hand I find it disturbing that many premium fountain pen makers tend to offer steel nibs in expensive pens (examples Visconti Van Gogh, Montegrappa Parola and Ducale, Graf von Faber Castell Tamitio). None of this, however, is important. I won’t change this so I can, at best, express my dissatisfaction and either opt for a pen or not. As you can see there was more pros than cons. Let's focus on how Tamitio is doing on paper.
I’ve managed to get Tamitio with broad nib. It started up immediately after I inked the pen, and I've had no problems with skipping, hard starts, or scratchiness. The nib is smooth, but firm without any springiness. What I enjoy most about it is the wetness and thickness of the line. Simply great.

Filling system

fpn_1457270625__tamitio_konwerter.jpg

fpn_1457270634__tamitio_konwerter2.jpg

Tamitio includes a Graf von Faber-Castell converter and is compatible with international cartridges. Nothing fancy.

Dimensions

Length: 135mm closed, 117mm open. Weight 37 g.

Summary

Tamitio is great fountain pen that could be considered as affordable step up from Faber-Castell pieces into the luxury pieces offered by Graf von Faber-Castell. In Poland it costs around 820 PLN (220 $). I managed to buy it for 80 % of MSRP. With this money you can have a lot of fountain pens, including Lamy 2000 which undoubtedly is a better pen (almost indestructible piston-filler with golden nib). With this money, you can get Pilot Custom Heritage 823 or 1,5 x Pilot Custom Heritage 92, but so what? I prefer Tamitio. I enjoy the pen and make good use of it.

The only real issue some people may have with the pen is its section or rather lack of the section. and shape of the pen. The little chrome section is definitely too small to be useful - it can’t be used for grasping the pen while writing unless you have really small hands. If you’re the kind of person who likes holding your pen toward the nib, you should reconsider getting this one. I hold the barrel and I find it very comfortable but some of you may have different opinion on the topic. In any case – be warned. And if like me you find GvFC design interesting enjoy the pen!

Edited by visvamitra

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• Tas

• inotrym

• HangmanCrewPens

ahh the Tamitio the Ambition's grown up cousin in everyway I could put it heck even GvFC says it is it's grown up cousin... I'm still waiting if my country will be able to get the GvFC pens soon I seriously want to get the classic anello but for a fair price considering I have no clue as to the MSRP

ohh well it seems they have updated the Tamitio's profile...

A nice review and an interesting pen. I may - or may not - become a co-owner of this pen, so I am very thankful for your review.

What ink did you have in Kaweco Classic Sport? I like it, but I'm not sure what it is.

I have the Midnight Blue one and I really like it. I agree with you about the grip, but also hold at the barrel. I love the nib and was pleasantly surprised by the good balance. I normally don't like metal pens but this is the exception for the exceptional yet understated beauty.

• 11 months later...

Is the barrel smooth to the touch in the way that the Lamy Studio or even the Lamy Al-Star is, or does it feel like lacquered brass?

Apart from the cap clip, it looks pretty good..

• 11 months later...

I see this post has aged somewhat but still relevant I am on the verge of completing the checkout for this tamitio calligraphy set with 1.1mm 1.4mm and 1.8mm do you have any advise if the pen is still holding up ok?

I have the Tamitio Calligraphy set. The nibs are very nice, especially the two broader ones, enough so that I bought two more Tamitios, so I could have all the nibs installed. Now, that was in spite of the barrel shape. I don't like it it much, but (obviously) don't dislike it enough to outweigh the usefulness of the nibs. I wouldn't choose it as an EDC.

David

P.S. I was able to get the set and the other pens at a substantial discount.

P.P.S. Very nice review, Vis. I have a few other GvF-C pens and find the quality of them all superb. Both the steel and gold nibs are great, at least if you like nails.

• 6 months later...

Anyone know if the nib on this is the same as the FC Ambition? I've got this pen and love it how it writes but have never liked the shape of GVFC caps. It was just on for a good price, I was in the mood for a new pen and I'd heard good things.

If the FC Ambition writes the same I could see myself picking up another.

very nice review and pics, thanks

I love my GvFC Intuition Ebony and was wondering about the Tamitio.

I agree the nibs are really very very nice. I was wondering about the section, but it's very likely that, like you, it would not bother me, because I hold my pens rather high up (consider that often I hold my M200 Pelikans on the barrel behind the cap threads).

Are you sort of forced to hold this pen this way due to the short section, despite finding it comfortable, or do you generally hold pens not so close too the nib, so it was natural for you?

thank you