Noodler's Ahab Or Konrad?

Schadenfreude

Which one would you buy and why?

People who know my name, dont know my work. People who know my work, dont know my name.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Schadenfreude

• TheRealScubaSteve

• inkandseeds

• parthjpatel

Konrad because I love the shape. I'm actually thinking of buying one and swapping in a Goulet nib!

Konrad because I love the shape. I'm actually thinking of buying one and swapping in a Goulet nib!

Thanks Kelly. I was thinking about the konrad.

I tried to use the search button but really, i want to know which one has more (dis)advantages to help me decide which one to buy

People who know my name, dont know my work. People who know my work, dont know my name.

I prefer the Konrad.

They have the same nib. But, I prefer a piston filler like the Konrad. Also, the Konrad comes with a good ink window. The Konrad comes in a variety of finishes ranging from the regular plastic, to acrylic, to ebonite. Finally, the Konrad is just sized and shaped better for my hand.

I also don't like the looks of the Ahab.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I found the Konrad to be a much better pen. I recommend getting acryilic or ebonite, not the standard vegital resin. It's well worth the extra cost. The standard material smells heinous and has evaporation problems.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Ebonite Konrad for sure. Ebonite has a much warmer and softer feeling than acrylic. It's design and dimensions are both aesthetically more pleasing and more comfortable. The Ahab is a super fat (uncomfortable to me) pen. It does have much more ink capacity, but I like the Konrad's piston. They're both easy to swap nibs, but the Konrad pops in and out easier, too.

I found the Konrad to be a much better pen. I recommend getting acryilic or ebonite, not the standard vegital resin. It's well worth the extra cost. The standard material smells heinous and has evaporation problems.

I have a resin Konrad. Even when it was new, I found the smell not offensive. (mine is the Red Mesa Tortoise) I swapped out the stock nib for one of the Goulet #6 nibs in broad.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have two Ahabs and am quite satisfied with both. Both write well and hold lots of ink. They are daily users. I do like the bulkiness of the Ahab.

Never had a Konrad.

Hiya all! I just made a decision! I just bought Ahab black! But i will probably purchase the Konrad too in the future as I'm still doubting, hehe!

Ebonite Konrad for sure. Ebonite has a much warmer and softer feeling than acrylic. It's design and dimensions are both aesthetically more pleasing and more comfortable. The Ahab is a super fat (uncomfortable to me) pen. It does have much more ink capacity, but I like the Konrad's piston. They're both easy to swap nibs, but the Konrad pops in and out easier, too.

Ebonite? The online shop i visited doesn't have ebonite, i think. ..didn't even know it exists

I don't have an Ahab. But I DO have 3 resin Konrads (not counting the one I lost) and one of the ebonite ones. The size is better for my hands than the Ababs, and I really like piston fillers. Also, there seem to be a lot fewer people complaining about the quality control on the Konrads (a few, but nearly as many as for Ahabs).

Schadenfreude, the ebonite Konrads don't stay in stock for very long. Actually, from the last time I checked the Goulet Pens website, a lot of the acrylic ones weren't in stock either.....

I keep hoping that some new colors of the ebonite Konrads come out at some point -- maybe some of the cool colors that the original ebonite Neponsets were.... Because I don't really like the look of the Dixie series Konrads. It's almost as if instead of being a conscious design decision, they're "Oh, we had some leftover stock and we'll stick them together so as to not have wastage...." At least that's how they look to me. Of course, some of the resin ones, with the solid color caps and blind caps and marbled barrels, do as well.... And I know it's a somewhat spurious attitude, because all five of my Pelikan pens have the same type of style and it *doesn't* look wrong on them (but then, I'm the person who doesn't like wearing sleeveless shirts but thinks nothing about tops or dresses with spaghetti straps -- it shouldn't make a difference but somehow when I look in a mirror it just, well does... go figure).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ebonite? The online shop i visited doesn't have ebonite, i think. ..didn't even know it exists

Yep and they're the same price as acrylic. They are not as pretty and only have 2 or 3 color options. Goulet has them - can't imagine it's a U.S. exclusive.

Also, there seem to be a lot fewer people complaining about the quality control on the Konrads (a few, but nearly as many as for Ahabs).

I'm glad you mentioned this as I meant to write something similar and forgot. My Ahab had (I gave it to my grandfather since he likes fat pens) no issues, but it sure seems like many people find them finicky.

I've got two Ebonite Konrads and they are great. The stock nibs aren't amazing but they are cheaply replaced.

Modern and Vintage Pens for sale at Nonlinear Pens and you can find me on Pinterest at Nonlinear.

There is no doubt that i will be buying the konrad too. Still thinking which colour i want to buy first. Thanks all for the replies

You cannot go wrong with a Konrad with a goulet nib. I prefer the Konrad over the Ahab because of the piston filling system. Also, I believe it feels better in the hands, but that may just be me.

You cannot go wrong with a Konrad with a goulet nib. I prefer the Konrad over the Ahab because of the piston filling system. Also, I believe it feels better in the hands, but that may just be me.

Is the goulet nib a flex one as it's the reason why i bought ahab?

Is the goulet nib a flex one as it's the reason why i bought ahab?

No it is not a flex nib.

I mis-spoke before as i do have a Konrad brush pen. It may just be me but i have had nothing but problems with the filler system on this Konrad whereas i have had no problems with my Ahab filler systems.

The Ahab does come with a flex nib as does the Konrad. Sadly, that is wasted on me as my cursive writing is terrible, therefore i only print.

As several people have pointed out above, i think the biggest difference is the size and shape. Get the one that fits your hand the best.

I prefer the Ahabs. Their size suits my hands better.

Here are some other points.

- The inside of the grip section of the ahab contains a groove to accommodate the rear part of the nib in only one orientation. The konrad's section lacks this groove. Because of this the Ahabs require a little less guesswork to set the nib and feed properly in the section.

- Although many folks here prefer the piston filling mechanism on the konrads I have the opposite leaning. I found many konrads with piston mechanisms that felt too stiff and almost like the parts were not meant to fit together and work smoothly.

- The Ahabs, on the other hand, come with a slide piston converter thingy (and I have a whole host of quibbles about it). But you can always change the ahab to an eyedropper filler very easily and I quite like that, not for the astronomical ink capacity, mind; but for the surge of ink flow I can enjoy with an eyedropper.

As far as the material goes, I really wish the Ahabs were available in ebonite. The konrads in ebonite are some of my most liked ones. I've seen some cracking issues with some of my acrylic konrads.

As far as the odor on the vegetal resins, it is what it is. You just have to get used to it :)

(@schadenfreude: love the nickname btw)

Edited by pepsiplease69