Discontinued Pearl And Black Duofold?

Maccabee64

I did a quick search and it didn't turn anything up, if there is another topic that deals with this please direct me.

Did Parker discontinue the Pearl and Black Duofold models from production? The best I can tell, they are no longer listed on their website.

Thanks,

Bruce

O.A.M.D.G.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aysedasi

• Maccabee64

• corgicoupe

• Zeist

Yes it has been discontinued. If you asked me specific dates, I wouldn't know. But it's still fairly easy to come across, especially in smaller shops. I just recently got an International version, and just saw a couple in stores over in Asia.

Damn! Now I'm going to have to pick one up sooner than I anticipated! Thanks for the info gerigo.

O.A.M.D.G.

FYI: Not long ago I spied a modern Duofold International size

in Pearl & Black that was sportin' # 94 Arrow nib..Tiffany Crown..

and lllQ date code {= 2Q 1994}....

Mosey on over to worldwidewebfivestarpensdotcom....

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

The early 90's Pearl and Black Centennial has been on my wishlist for quite a long time and at last I was able to buy one at a reasonable price. It's quite blingy but definitely a beauty.

regards,

Hugo

Edited by dojocho

Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek a foe.

Eadem Mutata Resurgo.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it was around at the end of 2014, when the historic colors come out. I was quickly jumped to buy an international version. But if you look around, you will be able to find I'm sure, especially in stores.

• 1 month later...

The early 90's Pearl and Black Centennial has been on my wishlist for quite a long time and at last I was able to buy one at a reasonable price. It's quite blingy but definitely a beauty.

regards,

Hugo

Would you please tell me what you thought was a reasonable price?

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

When Parker reintroduced the Duofold models in 1989, I went completely berserk through the 1990's and bought as many of them as I could. Mostly Centennials, but I have a couple Internationals. I got a grey and black Centennial, but I never got around to getting a pearly and black. Oh, well. I couldn't have them all. I did have other things to buy, like food and clothing. :blush:

Even back then, I paid around $300 USD for each Centennial. If you can find one around that price range, you have a good buy. - But remember, I have not bought a Duofold in over 15-years.

Good luck.

I beleive that parker discontinued Pearl and Black for a short period in the Noughties. A new incoming president was so appalled at such a stupid decision, he ordered its reintroduction. In my opinion, it is like a Black, Gold trim model. I must Always be there.

I purchased a Pearl and Black Duofold International about 6-7 months ago (for what I believe was a good price approx 190 NZD = approx. $130 USD).
Medium nib (seems standard with Parkers), and flows well.

Great pen and incidentally, my first Duofold.

The only flaw is that I also want a Parker Duofold "Big Red" :D

Apparently I'm "not allowed" to buy "anymore pens".... this is why I have a separate bank account from my wife :P

Current pens on rotation: MB 146 (F), Lamy 2000 SS (M & F), Parker Duofold (M) in MB Oyster Grey, MB 146 BP, Lamy Logo BP.

Pens in transit: MB 149 (F)
Pens I think about: MB 149, Lamy 2000, Cross Townsend, MB WE Hemingway, MB SE JFK, Parker Duofold Big Red (centennial).

• 4 years later...

I have a Parker Duofold International, gold trim, UK 1990 black and pearl. Trying to research as to wether this was considered a LE or SE or just a general run.Mine came in  cherry wood presentation box and a gold medium nib. Does anyone have any info on this pen?

Zeist

No sooner did I ask the question than I found the Parker site through another member. My Parker was acquired in 1999 Not 1990 (typo) but I only see this particular pen noted as Limited or Special when it was a 100 run in silver trim.

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve got a Pearl & Black International and I love it. Also love the look of the Pearl & Grey - beautiful ❤️ 

I acquired a Duofold Centennial Pearl and Black in 2010. Stunningly beautiful in all respects.

At the time the new price in Melbourne was roughly AUD1,000. I paid about 30% on Amazon at the time from Pen Seller in France.

Several years later I was in a Melbourne pen shop and was told that, because it had been discontinued, the new price was AUD1,900 because of its new found scarcity. This store is no longer in existence.

No matter how good a modern "Big Red" or any other colour looks, it will never look as good as the Pearl and Black.

Agreed, the Duofold Centennial in Pearl and Black is a wonderful looking pen. Haven’t used mine for many years - must get it out and put it into use again. 

I bought one I think back in the late 90's in what I considered a very decadent purchase. It was the most I had ever spent on a pen, but I was just floored by how beautiful it was. It was truly an irresistible pen even at a luxury price (for me at the time).

I'm ashamed to admit it but, to this day it's an unused, virgin pen. I've never had the heart to put a drop of ink in it. I don't think I own any other non-antique pens which I haven't written with at least once. Perhaps this will be the year.