2016 Montblanc Writers Edition - William Shakespeare

skibunny

One addition: Montblanc themselves have always been polite; there was one particular UK law firm which has been less polite, apparently "acting on behalf of Montblanc".

When I asked Montblanc about this, it was stopped immediately.

I found out later that there are a bunch of law firms which work on a no cure, no pay basis when it comes to supposed copyright issues, essentially a bunch of rogues the way I see it. It appears that that was one of those cases.

Having said that, the law is the law, and that pertains to copyright law as well.

If you do own a pen, or buy one, and want to post your own pictures of that pen, or want to discuss that pen, that is just fine.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• Pen Nut

• Pravda

• salesguy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As you know i have been a member here for many years.

For me this issue is simple. We all know deep down what is acceptable and what isnt. MB have now asked (politley and in the past not so politley) that we remove protected and copyrighted images before they release the pen; this is fair enough. You will note that we didnt remove the Rouge et Noir pen pictures that were taken by a member who has bought the pens and are in their possession.

IF we want FPN to function - and i must say- to survive- we need your co-operation and sometimes your understanding. No one enjoys talking and getting a sneak peak of the upcoming pens more than me but if we need to stop this practice then so be it; a small price to pay to keep this place going.

It can be said that we are victims of our own success, the fact that we are now so large that we get unwanted attention comes with the terriroty im afraid.

i would just ask that all members think twice and when a Mod or Wim takes a decision to understand that these decisions are not taken lightly or flippantly but have been carefully consdiered

Totally agreed !! ;) ;)

+ 1. Feel this has been well covered now and whilst all views aired have their own merits think its time we re-grouped into our usual happy bunch of pen nuts.

P.S. The term Pen Nut is a registered trade mark which I hope will not be copied or mis represented without full consultation with the original Pen Nut :)

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

P.S. The term Pen Nut is a registered trade mark which I hope will not be copied or mis represented without full consultation with the original Pen Nut :)

Let's use "Pun Net", then ... :lol:

FYI, Montblanc is completely happy with anybody here using their officially released images in reviews etc., on FPN.

IOW, permission granted for use on FPN, provided the pen has been officially released.

Your own images of your own pens are always fine, and if you actually did buy such a pen prior to the official release date, that is ok too.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Let's use "Pun Net", then ... :lol:

mmmmm better than 'Pet Nun' I suppose :)

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I got to see the pen in the fresh last night. I've got to go into my boutique in the next couple of weeks (to replace some stolen items). When I'm there I will make sure I'm on the list to get one as soon as its released.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

• 1 month later...

I can't believe what I've read in this thread.

Of course, I understand all the Admin posts, which are just the rules we all should follow. But I am free to say and express that they seem stupid to me. I accept them, but can't understand the position of the brands (or in this case, THE brand, Montblanc, if I'm allowed to write the brand name...).

I can't find one reason to support this, to ban every picture for copyright issues. I have to say that Montblanc has never been one of my favorite brands, as they are ridiculously expensive and luxurious (sorry, but I'm concerned with people starving in this world and prefer more morally acceptable prices, but this is of course my humble opinion, which is not, and I don't expect it to be the opinion of others here), but this action is what definitely is going to keep me completely away from their pens.

I've recently posted pics from the Ink of the Year proposals for Pelikan. I understand that I'm not the owner of those pictures, and all the people in this forum understand that. As long as we don't use those pictures to make money, what is the problem?

In fact, I consider Montblanc action an epic fail, as WE clients use those pictures to spread the word and RECOMMEND (YES, MONTBLANC, WE'RE THE CHEAPEST CAMPAIGN FOR YOUR PRODUCTS) their pens.

I've bought many pens and inks only because I've read or see pictures, official or personal. In this forum.

For these reasons, Montblanc is not allowed to be used in my house with my notebooks.

Edited by MediaVita

I can't believe what I've read in this thread.

Of course, I understand all the Admin posts, which are just the rules we all should follow. But I am free to say and express that they seem stupid to me. I accept them, but can't understand the position of the brands (or in this case, THE brand, Montblanc, if I'm allowed to write the brand name...).

I can't find one reason to support this, to ban every picture for copyright issues. I have to say that Montblanc has never been one of my favorite brands, as they are ridiculously expensive and luxurious (sorry, but I'm concerned with people starving in this world and prefer more morally acceptable prices, but this is of course my humble opinion, which is not, and I don't expect it to be the opinion of others here), but this action is what definitely is going to keep me completely away from their pens.

I've recently posted pics from the Ink of the Year proposals for Pelikan. I understand that I'm not the owner of those pictures, and all the people in this forum understand that. As long as we don't use those pictures to make money, what is the problem?

In fact, I consider Montblanc action an epic fail, as WE clients use those pictures to spread the word and RECOMMEND (YES, MONTBLANC, WE'RE THE CHEAPEST CAMPAIGN FOR YOUR PRODUCTS) their pens.

I've bought many pens and inks only because I've read or see pictures, official or personal. In this forum.

For these reasons, Montblanc is not allowed to be used in my house with my notebooks.

What struck me as amazing is that many members have attempted to 'police' a company's ethics or modus operandi as a reason to continue their patronage or not. Respectfully, I find it futile as this is not the ozone layer, farmed salmon or child labor- they are pens. You pay money and buy them if you like the product and want to use it or don't. No lessons needed.

Ferrari asks for a CV (and I heard so does Mercedes for the Maybach) before selling some of its cars- namely the Enzo or La Ferrari. Reason is that they don't wish to sell it just to anyone with money. The person should be accomplished, prestigious etc. It is their prerogative and we don't hear an outcry in the world concerning discrimination and what not. Idea is.. Companies can do whatever they like with their products.

What struck me as amazing is that many members have attempted to 'police' a company's ethics or modus operandi as a reason to continue their patronage or not. Respectfully, I find it futile as this is not the ozone layer, farmed salmon or child labor- they are pens. You pay money and buy them if you like the product and want to use it or don't. No lessons needed.

Ferrari asks for a CV (and I heard so does Mercedes for the Maybach) before selling some of its cars- namely the Enzo or La Ferrari. Reason is that they don't wish to sell it just to anyone with money. The person should be accomplished, prestigious etc. It is their prerogative and we don't hear an outcry in the world concerning discrimination and what not. Idea is.. Companies can do whatever they like with their products.

I totally agree. A company can do whatever they want. But me, as a customer, can do what I want, too And I don't know about cars, but I don't buy products if I don't agree with the companies' policies. And in this case, I can't agree with censorship.

Wim has navigated through this minefield rather well in my opinion and I'm glad that issues regarding the use of Montblanc's own advertising materials have been clarified. As I understand it - and I may be wrong because it's still a little confusing to me - Montblanc seem to have trouble sitting on their own marketing pictures and information for a timed simultaneous release across the globe which I presume on the basis of what we have heard here, is what they want. It must be said, that's not an especially easy thing to do but there are other companies that manage to do this. The confusion for me comes with that form of release in a world of sneak peaks and teasing pictures before actual release, all designed to ramp up the chatter and marketing and create hype. If Montblanc don't want that, then that is their bag and seems fine to me. However, they can't then send out random materials to shops all over the globe and expect every last one of them to sit on those materials and not show them to anyone until release day. I know they have a right to expect that, but people are people.

~ One and a half weeks ago I was at a Montblanc boutique in Beijing arranging for a nib exchange.

As I'm a regular customer, I was shown images of the upcoming William Shakespeare pens, including nibs, on an iPad.

They asked me to keep what I'd seen confidential, which seemed reasonable, as it was shown to me in confidence.

There was nothing clandestine about it, rather, they were kindly letting me have an advance glimpse.

Tom K.

The customers who are truly the 'bread and butter' of Montblanc know and get a glimpse of the products in their niche well ahead of time. Either to know to set aside funds for an upcoming purchase or to have a piece reserved.

Which is fine. I purchase POA and artisan pieces but was told directly that they can't discuss with me atelier prive pieces. It wasn't diplomatically put to me (which was a staff error) but I am not bitter because I wasn't going to splurge on an AP piece anytime in the future.

Who else is getting tired of this same subject over and over again? :headsmack:That's becoming like the high school kid who is whining because he wasn't invited to the party claiming that it should be open attendance. Those who are bitter, are you actually a POA collector or customer, for example?

I agree. Those who didn't get invited to the 'party' or who were mal-treated. Don't take it personally. They don't know who you are, they are just treating you as 'just another customer', understandably. And like Pravda said, the only way they can judge people is by looking at the sales history.

Bit surprised about Ferrari asking for a CV. I have heard however that Rolls Royce turned down the owner of Samsung Electronics some time ago.

I agree. Those who didn't get invited to the 'party' or who were mal-treated. Don't take it personally. They don't know who you are, they are just treating you as 'just another customer', understandably. And like Pravda said, the only way they can judge people is by looking at the sales history.

Bit surprised about Ferrari asking for a CV. I have heard however that Rolls Royce turned down the owner of Samsung Electronics some time ago.

The Enzo was sold to people who were accomplished in life. The drummer of Pink Floyd, the Pope (who auctioned it for a good cause only after approval that whoever gets it is also screened) and so on.. They said that if one of the people who bought an Enzo was to sell it, Ferrari would not sell them another LE car!

The Maybach I know in the Middle East tried to avoid 'new money' so they wouldn't sell to anyone just because they could afford it.

I am really not sure about this new Montblanc.. It just doesn't attract me at this stage.

Maybe I'll wait for ThyGreyt and Pravda's review and then decide :)

I am really not sure about this new Montblanc.. It just doesn't attract me at this stage.

Maybe I'll wait for ThyGreyt and Pravda's review and then decide :)

Ah! But you'll end up waiting a long time for me. I don't do Writer's Editions only one I have is the Agatha :) I am also not liking it much this one really