2016 Montblanc Writers Edition - William Shakespeare

skibunny

This must be difficult for Wim as well guys, lets just cool and wait until we get the approval from MB....

Thank you! It is difficult indeed.

We're just talking the images here, not the discussion of the items pictured.

Warm regards, Wim.

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• Pen Nut

• Pravda

• salesguy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hyperlinks are a totally different issue, and only an argument for argument's sake.

From a copyright issue, hyperlinks cannot be considered the actual copyrighted item. If you display the image, rather than the hyperlink, it is.

FYTI, I have actually been a witness in several copyright cases, to explain the technical (computer side) of things.

We do occasionally hide hyperlinks here on FPN, but for completely different reasons.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

So posting a link to the relevant page is ok then?

And in the now closed thread, you didn't respond to Axis.

I'm confused :wacko:

Can you perhaps make a post in Community Feedback (or wherever appropriate) to state what is and isn't permissible? Between own pictures, marketing pictures, links, hyperlinks, embedded pictures, other sites pictures,,,,I have absolutely no idea what I am supposed to post and what I'm not supposed to post.

So posting a link to the relevant page is ok then?

And in the now closed thread, you didn't respond to Axis.

It is, but we may hide (hyper)links, for completely different reasons. We do actually retain the right to hide stuff here, it is mentioned in the rules. We normally don't, however, unless it is an unsafe link, or something we prefer not to link to.

I'll check Axis' post, thanks for the heads-up.

Warm regards, Wim

Edit: I did actually reply to Axis'post, see here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/306767-montblanc-poa-2016-peggy-guggenheim/?p=3603468

Edited by wimg
Added Edit

the Mad Dutchman

Hi Uncial,

I'm confused :wacko:

Can you perhaps make a post in Community Feedback (or wherever appropriate) to state what is and isn't permissible? Between own pictures, marketing pictures, links, hyperlinks, embedded pictures, other sites pictures,,,,I have absolutely no idea what I am supposed to post and what I'm not supposed to post.

You can actually post anything here as long as you follow the rules, which are linked to in various places here on the board, amongst others in the menu at the top under Rules & Guidelines, or in the sidebar on the right, FPN Quick Navigation, also under Rules & Guidelines.

A short summary of what you can post here is anything that is lawful and legal, and respectful to others, whether companies, groups, individuals, or other entities.

Other than that it simply is about copyright, also mentioned in the Rules & Guidelines.

With regard to copyright, it means that images you post here are either under your own copyright (your own images), are free of copyright, have been given free for publication by the owner, or you have been given the permission to use by the copyright owner. That is all there is to it.

There was a request by Montblanc several weeks ago to please not talk about the upcoming releases, in connection with a concerted launch effort, and to please remove copyrighted images. To a degree I muddled the request up over here by mixing these two request, but copyrighted images should never be posted here anyway. And the removal and moderation of what was posted, would have taken so much effort, that it was considered most efficient to just remove those topics from sight, and make an announcement about it.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Thank you. I'm sorry if I'm being totally dumb, but if marketing materials are released on the internet can we both link to them and post them here (if we cite where it comes from)? I'm thinking of the times when we do reviews of pens or start a thread in Mall or Market Watch and use pictures that aren't our own.

Bet it makes six pages at least before the 'plug' is pulled :)

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Thanks for the response Wim. If I can lay out the issue, as it appears to me:

There is a very strong view from some here that you / FPN have succumbed to MB in a request to censor the forum. This comes from the removal of material that related to the upcoming release of several new pens. The explanations for this removal have, at various times, been: copyrighted material; links to 'undesirables' web pages; too hard to moderate the forum.

The issue for me is that there seems no consistency. The original image that kicked this all off was of the new WE, an image you believed was under MB copyright, but the poster asserts was his copyright.

I understand the potential problem with posting copyrighted images here (but not links to them elsewhere) and have no issues with that.

There is also mention of an 'embargo' which it seems is not in place anywhere but here.

We all want to discuss the upcoming releases, and get the scoop on them - that's human nature, but where I have concerns is this - if MB succeed in getting this forum censors in relation to new releases, what happens if they ask for removal of threads discussing issues (such as the red gold plating problem in the 90th)?

For FPN to have value it needs to be independent & open (while staying within the law)

I for one, hope that is the way it stays.

BTW, Pen Nut, have you found anywhere in the NW that's decent for MB's?

I think Pen Nut's house is probably the best place for MB's in the NW?

I think Pen Nut's house is probably the best place for MB's in the NW?

Hmm. Now there is a thought......

Thank you. I'm sorry if I'm being totally dumb, but if marketing materials are released on the internet can we both link to them and post them here (if we cite where it comes from)? I'm thinking of the times when we do reviews of pens or start a thread in Mall or Market Watch and use pictures that aren't our own.

No, that depends whether those are copyrighted pictures or not, and whether if they are, if you are allowed to use them.

For reviews I'd expect people to use their own images, surely?

Generally speaking once a pen is released officially, one can use the official pictures, but it varies from pen company to pen company. As to Montblanc, that is easy enough: I'll ask on Monday.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

BTW, Pen Nut, have you found anywhere in the NW that's decent for MB's?

Sadly no. Since the MB boutiques were closed in both Bolton (Prestons) and Manchester (Harvey Nics) we are pretty much stumped up here. The Pen Shop in the Trafford centre is ok, and only just ok, and Selfridges in the same place has a MB counter but nothing special is held in either of these outlets.

Now then my MB's. I have another hobby / interest which is safes & vault doors (hence odd avatar), dont ask me how this started but I do buy and sell the odd 'monster' safe. My usual criteria is that it has to be over two tonne in weight or I dont either bother looking. Transportation often, well always, is more costly than the purchase price of the item.........madness I know but hey you are on here going on about pens !! :)

My MB's either sleep in a Tann Diamond TS5 safe or, if they fancy a night out, in a recently aquired Chubb Sovereign safe. The Tann weighs in at a massive 3,600kg (7,100lbs) whilst the Chubb tips the scales at a modest 2,600kgs (5800lbs). Insurance companies rate both these safes with the same protection value which is £150,000 cash and £1.5 million for high value items.

I could go on more, which I do on the Safe & Strongroom Forum, but 'safe' to say the MB's are safe :D

Anyway I hear Chubb are going to announce a new safe in August and my friend has sent me some pictures, can I post them on here ?

Only joking Wim.............your blood pressure must be high enough without me joining in :rolleyes:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Hi friends! A quick serach on the internet will show you the first picture of WE 2016....

Good. Well, for now at least, please leave them there.

Sadly no. Since the MB boutiques were closed in both Bolton (Prestons) and Manchester (Harvey Nics) we are pretty much stumped up here. The Pen Shop in the Trafford centre is ok, and only just ok, and Selfridges in the same place has a MB counter but nothing special is held in either of these outlets.

Now then my MB's. I have another hobby / interest which is safes & vault doors (hence odd avatar), dont ask me how this started but I do buy and sell the odd 'monster' safe. My usual criteria is that it has to be over two tonne in weight or I dont either bother looking. Transportation often, well always, is more costly than the purchase price of the item.........madness I know but hey you are on here going on about pens !! :)

My MB's either sleep in a Tann Diamond TS5 safe or, if they fancy a night out, in a recently aquired Chubb Sovereign safe. The Tann weighs in at a massive 3,600kg (7,100lbs) whilst the Chubb tips the scales at a modest 2,600kgs (5800lbs). Insurance companies rate both these safes with the same protection value which is £150,000 cash and £1.5 million for high value items.

I could go on more, which I do on the Safe & Strongroom Forum, but 'safe' to say the MB's are safe :D

Anyway I hear Chubb are going to announce a new safe in August and my friend has sent me some pictures, can I post them on here ?

Only joking Wim.............your blood pressure must be high enough without me joining in :rolleyes:

Fortunately, my blood pressure tends to stay low :).

I have seen so much by now that I will not get amazed quickly, although I do occasionally wonder if some people (not meaning you, BTW), can only look at any perspective only from their own self-centered view. This year so far I only felt my blood rush to my face once, and that was in a different topic. I think I managed to stay fairly neutral :).

The biggest problem is that people do not seem to understand how much effort it takes to run a forums board this size with a bunch of volunteers, myself included, with people from so many different backgrounds and cultures, and safeguarding both pour members, and FPN, from any "negative side-effects". What one finds normal, someone else gets offended by, and even explaining why, how, and what still makes some people wanting to fight just for their own view of the world, sometimes to the point of bullying, attempts at blackmail, and threatening with litigation (yes, indeed!).

It is one of the reasons why we adjusted the rules a few years ago, to make lives of moderators slightly easier, but whenever there is a new moon just after the winter most of the time, or occasionally at full moon, somehow werewolf-blood comes out regardless, with people knowingly ignoring the rules :). And sometimes no new moon is required either ;).

I can really only feel sorry for those who feel the need to do this, however, even though I will occasionally get red in the face and have to stop typing for a bit :).

Warm regards, Wim ;)

the Mad Dutchman

As you know i have been a member here for many years.

For me this issue is simple. We all know deep down what is acceptable and what isnt. MB have now asked (politley and in the past not so politley) that we remove protected and copyrighted images before they release the pen; this is fair enough. You will note that we didnt remove the Rouge et Noir pen pictures that were taken by a member who has bought the pens and are in their possession.

IF we want FPN to function - and i must say- to survive- we need your co-operation and sometimes your understanding. No one enjoys talking and getting a sneak peak of the upcoming pens more than me but if we need to stop this practice then so be it; a small price to pay to keep this place going.

It can be said that we are victims of our own success, the fact that we are now so large that we get unwanted attention comes with the terriroty im afraid.

i would just ask that all members think twice and when a Mod or Wim takes a decision to understand that these decisions are not taken lightly or flippantly but have been carefully consdiered.

PoA: Copernicus; JP Morgan  WE: Hemingway; Proust; Dickens; Mann; Twain; Swift  149's: 1986 2 tone; 75th 1924 LE; 90th Anniversary; Platinum; Kingsman Edition; Calligraphy 

146 Solitaire: Hematite; Gold & Black; Silver Fibre Guilloche.

Misc: 234 1/2L; Boheme Medium size non-retractable BB nib; Starwalker FP & RB; Montblanc Newson (Matt)

Want to Buy MB 129, 139 , 138 136  & 149 Silver Rings or Special Nibs