New Goulet Pens Black Nib

jabberwock11

I just received one of the New Goulet Pens black nibs in the mail (this one is a 1.1)! I threw it onto my Jinhao X750, loaded up some Private Reserve Ebony Blue, and did a quick test on some Kokuyo Sarasara paper. What can I say? This is one excellent nib. I usually have to do a bit of tuning with JoWo nibs, but this one is perfect right out of the box (or rather the tiny zip lock bag). Crsip, true to size lines with a nice even flow. A good looking nib that writes really well and costs $10 less than the Monteverde black stub nib. I'm a happy customer!

I was so excited to try out this nib that I didn't even dilute the Ebony Blue. Usually it shows up as a blue/green/black, but without dilution it just looks black. Oh well, I'll just write a ton with this pen and fill it back up with some properly diluted Ebony Blue.

tumblr_o384kpTYJm1uf00n4o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o384kpTYJm1uf00n4o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o384kpTYJm1uf00n4o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_o384kpTYJm1uf00n4o3_1280.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• alc3261

• jabberwock11

• J85909266

Very stealthy looking! I like it! I too like the Goulet nibs. I have three of them (non-black) that I've put on various pens. The one on my Noodler's Ahab makes that pen a favorite.

I wouldn't know, I'm in the US. I can say that these are factory JoWo nibs, they just have Goulet's logo and a black coating, so any UK seller that has #6 JoWo nibs will be able to provide you with a nib of similar quality.

Edited by jabberwock11

How do you get the gp nib in the UK without such a high postage charge

Buy bulk and spread your costs.

Which for me means I'll be buying the six pack, I want to see the consistency of their nib checking process, but for you that would probably mean finding a club or a few friends to do a group buy with.

Edited by Joshua J.

I just put a fine in my Tactical Fountain Pen. It's a stunning nib. Beautiful and perfectly tuned.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

How do you get the gp nib in the UK without such a high postage charge

You can get a JoWo nib (same nib unbranded) from www.fpnibs.com - they are in Spain but delivery to the UK is quick and inexpensive. The nibs are also cheaper.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

I think it is a ruthenium plating.

Is that a good thing? I don't know what that process means in terms of quality or durability.

I think it is a ruthenium plating.

fpnibs.com sell JoWo nibs with ruthenium plating - I'd characterise it as a kind of 'gunmetal' colour. Not sure how durable it is yet - I've only had my ruthenium nib for a short time - but it looks pretty nice!

I'm not sure, though, that the Goulet nibs have been subjected to the same coating process - I think they'd call them ruthenium-coated if they were. I'll probably splash out and order one eventually - but at the moment I have too many spare nibs floating around, and the AUS-USA exchange rate isn't exactly favourable!

I have a ruthenium-plated Jowo nib, and the Goulet black nibs are not the same. I suspect titanium dioxide.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I have a ruthenium-plated Jowo nib, and the Goulet black nibs are not the same. I suspect titanium dioxide.

I have the JoWo one and I'm waiting for a Goulet one for comparison, I was hoping they would be the same.

The JoWo ruthenium nibs are the same price as steel or 2-tone so I assumed the Goulet ones would be the same too. I believe the ruthenium would not be more expensive to make or they would be more expensive? www.fpnibs.com E12.00 each inc VAT. (E6.00 shipping worldwide) No affiliation, very happy customer.

what the heck is that?

The coating appears to be the same as the Monteverde black nibs. Monteverde nibs are also made by JoWo, and they are coated with titanium oxide, so I would bet that the Goulet nibs are the same. I suppose someone could ask the folks over at Goulet Pens, but I see no real difference in the performance of these nibs over the non-black factory JoWo nibs, so I really don't care what they are coated with.

what the heck is that?

It's commonly used to coat things. I know of it from the knife industry where it is often used to coat blades.

I have my Goulet black nib right next to my Edison in ruthenium, and it's definitely not the same. The ruthenium is more subtle, like a deep gray. The Goulet is much darker and closer to being black.

I wouldn't be worried about durability unless you stab and dig with your nib. It's probably much more durable than gold plating if it's what think it is.

Edited by J85909266

- Joe

I care when the coating becomes non-durable and flakes off causing all sorts of problems

As these nibs are made by JoWo and they use either titanium oxide or ruthenium for their black nibs, you can be sure that it is one of the two (and based on a very small amount of research, there does not seem to be much of a difference between the two). I have not heard of JoWo's black coatings easily chipping or flaking off of nibs. I have several Monteverde titanium oxide coated nibs (made by JoWo) which look just as good today as the day that I got them.

This is why I do not care what they are coated with, because either coating is perfectly safe for use on nibs and will likely last far into the future.