The Future Of Pens?

senzen

Couldn't help but chuckle when I saw this: a pen that's also a bluetooth remote to take selfies on your phone. I'll keep my pens disconnected thanks very much!

fpn_1456545578__img_20160226_15144201.jp

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• TSherbs

• AndyKeir

• senzen

Indeed. Narcissism. My wife and I were just talking about this. Her peeve was over the type who posts "I just bought breakfast for the next 3 schmucks in line." and takes a selfie. Apparently it's quite common these days.

Another reason why I don't have a cell phone.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Ahhh ... just wait for the "iPen". It's only a matter of time.

It will be designed in Palo Alto, California by Jony Ives but it will be manufactured in China.

It will be completely white, very shiny and will be made from an extruded tube of high tensile strength "super glass"

The first model, iPen 1.0, will be fairly basic.

The nib tip will resemble a tiny ball of white glass and will be based on a type of ink-jet technology allowing the user to load different nib widths and ink colours into the pen from their smartphone.

Later models will use a dense array of microscopic conductive elements embedded into the grip section which will be able to "steer" the muscles of the hand and wrist by means of tiny electrical impulses.

This will open the way for downloadable fonts. You want to write in Italic? ... simple. Just load the Italic font into your iPen touch the nib to the paper and off you go.

:D

Andy sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled ...

(With apologies to Andrew Barton "Banjo" Paterson)

Ahhh ... just wait for the "iPen". It's only a matter of time.

It will be designed in Palo Alto, California by Jony Ives but it will be manufactured in China.

It will be completely white, very shiny and will be made from an extruded tube of high tensile strength "super glass"

The first model, iPen 1.0, will be fairly basic.

The nib tip will resemble a tiny ball of white glass and will be based on a type of ink-jet technology allowing the user to load different nib widths and ink colours into the pen from their smartphone.

Later models will use a dense array of microscopic conductive elements embedded into the grip section which will be able to "steer" the muscles of the hand and wrist by means of tiny electrical impulses.

This will open the way for downloadable fonts. You want to write in Italic? ... simple. Just load the Italic font into your iPen touch the nib to the paper and off you go.

:D

Shhhhhh!!!

This top-secret project is already underway.....

It's being privately funded by Donald Trump!!! :rolleyes:

"Making Pens Great Again!".... :huh:

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

Narcissism?

Probably. My first selfies were taken in the early 1980s. 21mm f/5.6 Canon FD lens on a Canon FTb. Must have weighed about 4 pounds out there on the end of my arm. More if I needed to mount a flash unit.

The ultra wide, non-fisheye delivered remarkably inclusive scenic shots with me as an element, not the dominant feature, of the unpredictable composition. The fun was in the surprise in the randomness of the results. I had to wait a week or more to finish the roll and get the Kodachrome slides back from Kodak labs.

I have several trays and albums of these old shots. The series is called The World At Arm's Length because most of the shots are about the worldand my armnot me. I just happened to be there and taking the photograph. I still shoot some with the big Nikon and a lovely piece of Nikkor glass.

To understand the selfie of today, one must dive into the relationships between the ability to share peculiar moments with friends and strangers instantaneously with the obsessiveness of and the illusion of such attempts at communication.

There's another reason people take selfies. One can document a unique moment in one's life without handing over a $600 highly personalized (totally encrypted, thank you Apple) device to strangers.

Edited by bogiesan

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

There's another reason people take selfies. One can document a unique moment in one's life without handing over a $600 highly personalized (totally encrypted, thank you Apple) device to strangers.

I never quite understood the whole "Take a picture of us" thing either.

My Website

I never quite understood the whole "Take a picture of us" thing either.

To help remember a moment in time of your life. It helps to capture the moment, what you were wearing, how you were feeling at this moment in life. From there, with those hints, it's much easier to remember in greater details this moment in your life than without a picture. People throwing around narcissism and still write a journal that no one will ever read except themselves. Same thing with selfies.

Although, people that think others want to see their selfies think too much of themselves, except maybe for the very close family.

To help remember a moment in time of your life. It helps to capture the moment, what you were wearing, how you were feeling at this moment in life. From there, with those hints, it's much easier to remember in greater details this moment in your life than without a picture. People throwing around narcissism and still write a journal that no one will ever read except themselves. Same thing with selfies.

Although, people that think others want to see their selfies think too much of themselves, except maybe for the very close family.

That makes more sense than other explanations but I still don't get it. There are perhaps a dozen of so pictures of me that I am aware of, some taken by my mom when I was a baby to send to my Dad since he had never seen me, three taken under duress for the high school yearbook, a couple done by my sister since at the time she was a professional portrait photographer, some in a wedding album from my fist marriage but I have absolutely no idea what happened to it. Of the ones I do know of not one helps me remember anything more about the moment than pictures taken at that time but without me being included.

I just don't get it.

My Website

Indeed. Narcissism. My wife and I were just talking about this. Her peeve was over the type who posts "I just bought breakfast for the next 3 schmucks in line." and takes a selfie. Apparently it's quite common these days.

Another reason why I don't have a cell phone.

Buying breakfast for strangers - nice thing to do. Calling them a derogatory name and bragging about your (greatly diminished) act of kindness - less than charming.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

some in a wedding album from my fist marriage

And we all know how painful that can be . . .

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Ditto to what ScienceChick said.

Also ditto to boogieman's comment about trusting an expensive phone to a complete stranger.

I can see wanting to capture the moment ("Oh, look, there's a picture of us with Niagara Falls in the background"). I can maybe see it if you happen to meet someone famous (although I doubt that I would -- I saw the actor Michael York in a museum bookshop in NYC years ago, and he was being mobbed for autographs, and I figured I'd just leave him alone -- one less annoying fan when he was obviously trying to shop).

I *don't* see the need to go "Oh, look, here we are in X bar drinking apple-tinis". Any more than the "Oh, here's a photo of what I had for dinner last night"; a friend of my husband's does that on FB all the time and I always want to say "I DON"T FREAKING CARE!"

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I saw in a movie someone in a board meeting using a nice pen that had a built in voice recorder. I don't know about taking selfies, but a voice recorder fountain pen, I can make use of of that.

Now how about a Yard-O-Led Viceroy Victorian Grand with a built in voice recorder? What a concept.

Edited by max dog

Buying breakfast for strangers - nice thing to do. Calling them a derogatory name and bragging about your (greatly diminished) act of kindness - less than charming.

Here! Here! And I do agree that the narcissism thing IS the selfie. My confusion over it all is "the convention of the selfie":

• Why is the "duck face" done? Does the photographer/subject hope that others think they have large and plush lips, and why don't they see that merely jutting out your lips makes your face look like it's sporting a bill or flat beak?
  • Why do so many selfie takers not know what is in the frame with them? (I have seen some which were mortifying due to surroundings...to the point of joining a cloistered order and never being seen again).
  • Why is it that one ugly duck faced selfie is never enough? Some people only photograph themselves as duck faced and several times each day.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

My first selfies were taken in the early 1980s. 21mm f/5.6 Canon FD lens on a Canon FTb.

What a great camera, absolutely bulletproof.

I used a Canon FTb (and later FTbn) as a backup for my F1's from 1971 through 2003 when I finally abandoned 35mm film. Never a problem (with any of them), and the macro lenses were uniformly excellent.

Never took any selfies, though. Mostly lack of interest in the subject, I think.

I do not get this selfie thing either.

I suppose the idea is that you are to "share" (send) it to someone. The only selfie I need is to be able to look in the mirror every morning & say: "Thank you Lord."

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Maybe some take a selfie just to check if their backside is clean?

I rarely have my photo taken, work ID, drivers lic. holidays maybe. I already know what I look like.