Lamy Safari Dark Lilac! Coming Soon! And A Re-Launch!

PenBoutique

LAMY Safari Dark Lilac

When LAMY fans come into Pen Boutique it's not uncommon for them to ask, "Where's the purple at?" Now LAMY Safari collectors can rejoice-- THE DARK LILAC IS HERE! Well, it'll be here at the start of April and then into your mailbox shortly thereafter. This is the most anticipated color for the Safari line and we're expecting them to fly off our shelves. We are taking per-orders starting today!

The LAMY Safari in Dark Lilac fountain pen will be offered in the standard LAMY nib options (XF, F, M, B, 1.1, 1.5, 1.9 and Lefty). We will also have the Dark Lilac rollerballs and ballpoints, all in the same Safari styling you know and love.

More exciting news from LAMY: The Blue-green Al-Star is being re-released this mid-Spring. Available in fountain pen (for nib options see above), rollerball, and ballpoint. If you missed out on the first run, now is your chance!

If you're interested in pre-ordering any of these pens please shoot us an email with your contact info, the pen(s) you would like, and amount. You can also give us a call at 800-263-2736. Lastly, if you're in the DC Metro Area, please stop in our store to talk pens! We have locations in Columbia and Montgomery, Maryland.

cleardot.gif

post-23001-0-85889300-1456417889_thumb.jpg

post-23001-0-91556200-1456423119_thumb.jpg

Edited by PenBoutique

Pen Boutique
Pen Boutique on facebook!
Blog

Pen Boutique on Instagram!

Columbia, Maryland, USA (Opp. to The Mall in Columbia)

"FPN Rocks!!! It also gives you extra 5% at our store with coupon code: FPNROCKS" Exlcusive for FPN members only

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenBoutique

• shuuemura

• Newjelan

• FOUR X FOUR

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks! The clip looks black on theDark Lilac Safari - is the nib too?

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Yes the trim is black along with the nib. This is a fun color can't wait until they are here!!

Edited by PenBoutique

Pen Boutique
Blog

"FPN Rocks!!! It also gives you extra 5% at our store with coupon code: FPNROCKS" Exlcusive for FPN members only

How does the color on the black nibs hold up? I have a Platinum Plaisir with a colored nib, and after a couple of years the coating started to flake off (which is not only kinda unsightly, but I'm worried about it clogging the nib slit or even the feed).

I have no experience with Lamy pens, so I didn't know if the black nibs were coated (the way the Platinum nibs are) or are some other process (so, something akin to the anodizing on some aluminum cooking pots). I'd hate to have a problem like that with the Safari nibs; and admittedly, the black nib and clip do look good against that dark purple, and swapping in a silver-colored nib would somehow look wrong, IMO (especially with the black clip).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks, pen2paper. Good to know.

Well presumably the other nibs will fit. But I don't know if they make black nibs in the really wide sizes (I just did a quick check online and there are definitely B nibs available in black).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

How does the color on the black nibs hold up? I have a Platinum Plaisir with a colored nib, and after a couple of years the coating started to flake off (which is not only kinda unsightly, but I'm worried about it clogging the nib slit or even the feed).

I have no experience with Lamy pens, so I didn't know if the black nibs were coated (the way the Platinum nibs are) or are some other process (so, something akin to the anodizing on some aluminum cooking pots). I'd hate to have a problem like that with the Safari nibs; and admittedly, the black nib and clip do look good against that dark purple, and swapping in a silver-colored nib would somehow look wrong, IMO (especially with the black clip).

Hi Ruth,

I have a Black Matte Lamy Safari with a black nib that I bought some time ago. It is still one of my favorites and gets frequent use. The nib looks just as good now as it did when I bought it. And it writes so well. I am looking forward to adding one of the Dark Lilac Safaris to my collection. I might also go for a Blue-Green All Star since I didn't get it last time.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Not to take custom from you but are you aware of somewhere in the UK that will be launching a pre-order? Shipping will probably cost more than the pen ha

great colors. Now I can get a few and give them as gifts. So many people really like the purple.,..

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Ruth, my original red safari with black nib looks like new. It's seen heavy service.

hmmm... I just saw above that the available nibs are limited to ef, f, and m.. my preference these days is 1.1, or 1.5. though that will not hold me back.

If I can obtain one in 1.0, 1.5 I will buy one. Otherwise, I'm not really interested.

@penboutique, where do I send an email?

Support@penboutique.com

We are also taking pre orders and we are located in Maryland.

Edited by PenBoutique

Pen Boutique
Blog

According to my favourite European vendor (LCdC), this Lamy will have BLACK nibs as standard stock in the sizes EF to B, but the three calligraphic nibs (1.1, 1.5 and 1.9) will be polished steel. So far I have no news about black Lamy nibs in those three sizes... why do you do so, Lamy? Don´t you know we are eager to buy precisely those?

plumista

According to my favourite European vendor (LCdC), this Lamy will have BLACK nibs as standard stock in the sizes EF to B, but the three calligraphic nibs (1.1, 1.5 and 1.9) will be polished steel. So far I have no news about black Lamy nibs in those three sizes... why do you do so, Lamy? Don´t you know we are eager to buy precisely those?

plumista

Yes, customers have been asked Lamy for ages about the 1.1/1.5/1.9mm nibs in Black, but they are just not interested in taking our money. It seems they're learning from Pilot about how to restrict nib size availability - for seemingly no good reason.

I would just grind my own stub, but that doesn't work well with the black anodized nib finish.

We really need them to simply dump some of the shiny steel stub nibs in along with the other sizes when they're anodizing them black. (See, it's that simple - so there's no good reason for them not to do it - right?)

We really need them to simply dump some of the shiny steel stub nibs in along with the other sizes when they're anodizing them black. (See, it's that simple - so there's no good reason for them not to do it - right?)

So they really are anodized steel? Cool beans. That sort of information is really helpful, and makes me more comfortable with the idea of a black nib -- especially after my experience with the nib on the Plaisir, which is coated.

Thanks to all for their input about the nibs, BTW. (My husband of course will just roll his eyes and mutter about enablers, no doubt....)

Oh, and on another thread there was a link to the newest Ink Nouveau blog about the Dark Lilac, which included a photo of one side-by-side with a purple Al-Star (which I had considered getting at one point). And Dark Lilac is just absolutely stunning in comparison. :puddle:

So they really are anodized steel? Cool beans. That sort of information is really helpful, and makes me more comfortable with the idea of a black nib -- especially after my experience with the nib on the Plaisir, which is coated.

Thanks to all for their input about the nibs, BTW. (My husband of course will just roll his eyes and mutter about enablers, no doubt....)

Oh, and on another thread there was a link to the newest Ink Nouveau blog about the Dark Lilac, which included a photo of one side-by-side with a purple Al-Star (which I had considered getting at one point). And Dark Lilac is just absolutely stunning in comparison. :puddle:

Well... I'm pretty darn sure the Lamy black nibs are Anodized. I have a few and messing around with them under magnification reinforces this opinion. I'm even more certain the nibs are not coated black (e.g., powder-coated). I know what powder-coating looks like, especially under magnification. So I'll stick with some form of anodization.

I would also like to expand on one thing though:

Anodizing the stainless-steel may not as simple as anodizing the likes of aluminum, at least not if you want a similar robust result. Anodizing stainless-steel will often require one or more additional steps compared with aluminum, such as pre-plating and/or after-coating. But the results may good enough for a anodizing a stainless-steel fountain pen nib, even without any extra steps.

Regardless, Lamy is already making black nibs in EF, F, M, & B sizes. So just add the stubs to the batch and be done with it. We get the nibs we crave - and Lamy and their Distributors/Resellers get more of our money. Yay!

Why would Lamy not do this? One reason might be that either Lamy and/or their Resellers do not want to stock more differentiated products. OK then, just sell the few black stub nibs separately like all the other separate Lamy nibs. At least we will have the option to buy black stubs - and Lamy (et alia) will get even more of our money. So again, everyone ends up happy :)

P.S., The black nib on this dark-lilac safari really makes the pen stand-out. A bare stainless-steel nib would ruin it in my opinion. My favorite Safari is the Charcoal model with the black nib - another case where the black nib is a must.

Edited by Drone

Is the dark lilac finish matt like the Charcoal or polished? Thanks!

Yes.