Akkerman #15 Voorhout Violet

white_lotus

Akkerman is the line of inks from The Hague, Netherlands, said to be made by Diamine for them. They have the coolest ink bottles. And the ink inside those bottles is very good. The inks are available in the US from Vanness Pen and Anderson Pens.

Google's ability to translate Dutch is stymied by the word "voorhout".

The ink is a soft, muted violet, very pleasing on the eyes, more neutral and bluer than the KWZI Violet #7. And the ink handles very well. Not water resistance at all.

The usual papers: MvL=Mohawk via Linen, Hij=Hammermill 28 lb inkjet, TR=Tomoe River.

The MvL and Hij pics seem to show up a little too dark. The value is closer to the KWZI Violet #7, and the ink is not really a black at all. My image adjustment skills are lacking, but the image capture device is old technology (iPhone4).

fpn_1456073646__img_4109.jpg

fpn_1456073720__img_4104.jpg

This pic of the TR paper still seems too red even though I adjusted it quite a bit.

fpn_1456073911__img_4108.jpg

fpn_1456073769__img_4116.jpg

fpn_1456073793__img_4111.jpg

fpn_1456073816__img_4118.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• white_lotus

• ENewton

• lapis

• Mew

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the review. :)

I have this ink and filled it once in a pen. The ink has a matte like texture which is visible in inks like red chalk and terra firma. Am I wrong?

Thanks for the review. This is a colour I like, however "chalky". I'd say it is more "grapy".

Mikey

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I typically think of inks being "chalky" when they're desaturated, but this ink isn't that. It has very good color, it's just muted. You may be able to see in the chromatography some grey, and that helps lend it the more neutral appearance.

I don't have the other inks you mention, so I can't comment on how they compare.

Thank you for this review. It looks like a lovely ink indeed.

Perhaps interesting to note that the name 'Voorhout' refers to a district in the centre of The Hague. https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Voorhout,+Den+Haag/@52.0817384,4.3129249,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x47c5b7382508a7c9:0x12b2b6be9cbcd0e0

Regarding colour accuracy, I get the best colour out of my iPhone 4s when shooting in plain daylight, with all artificial light sources switched off.

Thank you once again. A bottle of Akkerman ink is at the top of my wish list.

Edit: fixed hyperlink.

Edited by Rednaxela

~ Alexander

• 6 months later...

I tried this ink today, and although the color was attractive, the ink didn't flow very freely from the nib. Is this an ink that one really needs to use every day to maintain good flow?

I have not had that experience. But I'll admit that I only keep two or three pens inked at any one time, and they are used often. Supposedly the Akkerman inks are made by Diamine, maybe not always exact matches, but sometimes close. According to my notes I did not have problems with this ink. And the Aurora is my driest pen, not that it's dry, but compared to my Edisons and Pelikans...

I have not had that experience. But I'll admit that I only keep two or three pens inked at any one time, and they are used often. Supposedly the Akkerman inks are made by Diamine, maybe not always exact matches, but sometimes close. According to my notes I did not have problems with this ink. And the Aurora is my driest pen, not that it's dry, but compared to my Edisons and Pelikans...

Thank you for the background, and for checking your notes. I similarly keep only two or three pens inked at a time and therefore seldom have problems with flow, but my pens do not work well with Diamine Grape, and I wonder whether this ink might pose similar challenges. Fortunately, there are other nice, dark purples to be had; I haven't yet tried De Atramentis Aubergine or Alexander Hamilton, for example.