Visconti Traveling Inkpot On A Plane

PaperQueen

I've searched the forums and can find all sorts of posts about either (a.) using the Visconti Traveling Inkpot; or (b.) flying with ink, but not one that answers this:

Does the pot need to be filled to the "max" line before flying (similar to pens)? Or can it safely fly with a lower ink level?

And...does the answer vary, depending whether or not it's carryon vs. checked luggage?

Seems like a silly question, I know. Just want to avoid "sharing" Diamine Oxblood with the inkpot's surroundings. ;)

Edited by PaperQueen

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaperQueen

• VivienR

• amberleadavis

• Joe in Seattle

We should ask SteveSurf, I know he travels with more than one.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Seems like a silly question, I know. Just want to avoid "sharing" Diamine Oxblood with the inkpot's surroundings. ;)

A sandwich bag should do the trick ...

I'm planning to travel with mine in the summer :D ... never really had the opportunity to use it until now.

We should ask SteveSurf, I know he travels with more than one.

Just sent him a PM asking if he'd mind popping into this thread. Looks like he's been offline for a while, though, so.... Fingers crossed. :)

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

I also sent him a PM.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Vacation is when I use cartridges exclusively. No problems.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

This probably won't answer your question but it's an answer I also cough out when it comes to a question dealing with this pot (nothing against Visconti): I always have 1-2-3 15-ml = 1/2-oz. Nalgene bottles half full or 90% full in my pocket or in my cargo suitcase and until this day not yet seen any problems....

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Frankly, I do not trust the Visconti Ink Well.

I discovered at our ink wells, that the if ink is on the surface of the rubber seal, it could be loosen very

easily.

May be it depends to the ink due to its additives.

To avoid this, I wrap a double side Velcro strip around it.

http://www.dg8fbv.de/Pen/1.JPG

http://www.dg8fbv.de/Pen/2.JPG

http://www.dg8fbv.de/Pen/3.JPG

Now it is save. The cover can not be loosen. The best no can not disappear :-)

Even due to a flight pressure drop, the captured air pressure inside

the ink well can not push out the cover.

Greetings Thomas

If you carry a vial of ink (Nalgene, Visconti, sample bottle), you aren't going to have any problems while traveling. The volume of air in the vial is small, and the expansion due to the change in pressure should not affect the vial (as long as there isn't a crack in the material). The only way you'll have problems with a vial or bottle of ink is a structural failure.

A fountain pen is different. All fountain pens have a channel for fluid to leave the reservoir through the nib to the paper. As the pressure in the cabin decreases, the pressure in the pen reservoir is higher than the air in the cabin. As a result, the air will force it's way out through the open channel. If there is ink the way, then the ink comes out into the cap, on your shirt, in your bag, or whatever. Some pens have breather tubes to equalize the pressure without the air pushing through the feed. Others have shutoff valves to keep the air in place. Fly with your pens nib up, and you'll be fine. Fly with them full or empty, and you'll be fine. Fly with your bottle of ink (as long as it's below the maximum volume for TSA), and enjoy the writing experience!

Buzz

Just made my first MSP > SAN flight with the Visconti Inkpot and two pens (neither of which was inked at the time). The Inkpot sailed through just fine, even though it was stored sideways (thanks to shallow overhead and under-the-seat-ahead-of-you spaces). Still...had it in a snack size Ziplock, just in case.

Frankly, I do not trust the Visconti Ink Well.
I discovered at our ink wells, that the if ink is on the surface of the rubber seal, it could be loosen very
easily.
May be it depends to the ink due to its additives.
To avoid this, I wrap a double side Velcro strip around it.

Have to admit, that's pretty clever (and easy).

If you carry a vial of ink (Nalgene, Visconti, sample bottle), you aren't going to have any problems while traveling. The volume of air in the vial is small, and the expansion due to the change in pressure should not affect the vial (as long as there isn't a crack in the material). The only way you'll have problems with a vial or bottle of ink is a structural failure.

A fountain pen is different. All fountain pens have a channel for fluid to leave the reservoir through the nib to the paper. As the pressure in the cabin decreases, the pressure in the pen reservoir is higher than the air in the cabin. As a result, the air will force it's way out through the open channel. If there is ink the way, then the ink comes out into the cap, on your shirt, in your bag, or whatever. Some pens have breather tubes to equalize the pressure without the air pushing through the feed. Others have shutoff valves to keep the air in place. Fly with your pens nib up, and you'll be fine. Fly with them full or empty, and you'll be fine. Fly with your bottle of ink (as long as it's below the maximum volume for TSA), and enjoy the writing experience!

Buzz

Perfect explanation of how pressure, air, and ink play together. Since the vast majority of my pens are piston, using a cartridge isn't always a solution. This time, I flew with one of each, then inked them upon arrival in San Diego. Will probably empty both before returning home in a couple of weeks (ideally, by writing!).

Well there is a thread, where it mentioned, that its safe to use it in flight. Here.

How the heck did my bazillion FPN searches miss that one...? Thanks for the link, VivienR!

Late to the party, but I've flown with my Ink Pot on more than one occasion and I've never had an issue. The seal on mine is tight so I wouldn't worry about it loosening.

As to checked baggage, I've seen how those are thrown around and my pens, inks or electronics will never be entrusted to that kind of abuse.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

• 2 months later...

Just got home from the trip---happy to report no leaks, no problems. Love my Inkpots! :)

Just got home from the trip---happy to report no leaks, no problems. Love my Inkpots! :)

Getting feel that I really need to buy an inkpot. Playing with these thoughts for a long time, when I manage to suppress my urges to buy it, its always pop up. Like this thread.

Getting feel that I really need to buy an inkpot. Playing with these thoughts for a long time, when I manage to suppress my urges to buy it, its always pop up. Like this thread.

Go for it, VivienR. I have two, with zero regrets. Beats the heck out of leaving my piston fillers at home or juggling bottles of ink.

The Visconti Inkwell flies and then cruises the carribean with no problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I just discovered that the Fountain Pen Hospital carries the Visconti traveling inkpot for a very good price, $59 plus shipping, which is lower than anything I've seen at the auction house.

Edited by AD64