2016 La Pen Show Report

AltecGreen

Do they have this kind of pen show in any other country?

There are pen shows in England (at least, maybe Scotland / Ireland as well?), and a number in Europe. I have not heard of shows in Asia or AU/NZ, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It might be, some day, that one of these various shows could be combined with a holiday. At the show, Sarj Minhas was extolling the virtues of the Madrid Pen Show, with long exhibition hours and a location right in the city center. He said it would make an excellent vacation with a few pens to look at as a bonus!

Having said that, I've only gone to two locations (LA and SF), which are 2 and 7 hours driving distance for me. I've yet to go to another show in the US.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AltecGreen

• Cryptos

• FarmBoy

• tknechtel

Do they have this kind of pen show in any other country?

The US pens shows are listed on various calendars like Susan Wirth's

http://pw1.netcom.com/~swirth/2000.htm

For Europoean shows, you can check this calendar. Most Europoean Shows are very small compared to US shows.

http://www.freewebs.com/euroshows/

There are a few shows in Japan but these happen sporadically

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

The US pens shows are listed on various calendars like Susan Wirth's

http://pw1.netcom.com/~swirth/2000.htm

For Europoean shows, you can check this calendar. Most Europoean Shows are very small compared to US shows.

http://www.freewebs.com/euroshows/

There are a few shows in Japan but these happen sporadically

There are also the Melbourne Pen Show (or was it Sidney??)... and the Toronto Pen Show... SO pretty much all over the world. ;)

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Carmen! Are you the person who was selling altered Vanishing Point nibs? If so, you had a wonderfully smooth italic one. I need to check my VPs, but I think I might want to order one from you.

We could do this via email if you prefer. My email is ninoknechtel@gmail.com.

Tom

Yes, that was me. I still have 2 Italic 14K gold Pilot Vanishing Point nib units in inventory.

-Carmen

Thanks.

Major Web site update. Over 100 newly-listed pens. Check out the New Arrivals.

http://carmenriverapens.com/CRlogoBlack300.jpg

Carmen Rivera Pens | Pilot Vanishing Point/Capless History Page

Well, I don't know if she had more than one at the show, but Carmen sold me an amazing faceted black VP with the smooth clip and put an italic nib in it that had been ground by Letta Grosekemper. This pen is silly good, remarkable, a real treat!

I am very glad that you are happy with the Pilot Vanishing Point and the italic nib. It did not take you long to find the sweet spot when writing with the italic.

Major Web site update. Over 100 newly-listed pens. Check out the New Arrivals.

http://carmenriverapens.com/CRlogoBlack300.jpg

Carmen Rivera Pens | Pilot Vanishing Point/Capless History Page

WOW. Never been to a pen show before, so just reading your report and looking at your pictures was a real eye opener. Thank you Ricky! :)

A great post, thanks so much for sharing. Your comments regarding the room being cut in half for the first 2 days were spot on. Seems like a rather shoddy way to increase revenues, and more than a few were quite unhappy. However, spending time with my friends from near and afar continue to make the whole thing worthwhile, and overall my family had a great time.

Freedom Exists by Virtue of Me Moderating You.

Ricky, thanks so much for your wonderful report and photos. I'm glad I'm not the only audiophile/pen collector around. Wish I could have been there to see all the interesting pens while everyone else was looking at the Pelikans. :D

On another note, I noticed at both the DC and Dallas shows last year that there were lots of young people and families with children, so things may not be as bad as the "old guard" thinks. If you come to either of those shows this year, I hope to meet you.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Thanks Ricky for the great coverage and show highlights.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

A previous poster asked about prices. What is the general consensus? Are prices relatively comparable to ebay?

Hard to answer since it will depend on what you are looking for. You need to consider it may cost a few dollars in shipping but attendance at a show may run 1000+. Buy one pen and eBay wins. Come home with 100+ pens and it works at a show. Selling side is the same. A lot of hassle to sell a few pens on eBay and pay the fees and paypal costs, at a show you might sell 150+ pens it is generally cash and so on.

Pen shows grant access to stuff that will not be on ebay. Case in point, Ricky's collection purchase. Another example might be if you were looking for a Parker Red Giant, In the last five years on eBay I recall seeing one. There were three at the LA Pen Show though two had damaged caps. You generally wouldn't purchase a high value pen without seeing it so you tend to only see these at a show.

Shows also offer an opportunity to make a bulk purchase. I know of several bags of pens that changed hands--37 Parker 51s in one lot and 49 Sheaffer Snorkels in another. Not to mention an entire tray of early Swans in one hit. Something very difficult to do on eBay. Bulk purchases tend to have good pricing, certainly better than eBay.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Hard to answer since it will depend on what you are looking for. You need to consider it may cost a few dollars in shipping but attendance at a show may run 1000+. Buy one pen and eBay wins. Come home with 100+ pens and it works at a show. Selling side is the same. A lot of hassle to sell a few pens on eBay and pay the fees and paypal costs, at a show you might sell 150+ pens it is generally cash and so on.

Pen shows grant access to stuff that will not be on ebay. Case in point, Ricky's collection purchase. Another example might be if you were looking for a Parker Red Giant, In the last five years on eBay I recall seeing one. There were three at the LA Pen Show though two had damaged caps. You generally wouldn't purchase a high value pen without seeing it so you tend to only see these at a show.

Shows also offer an opportunity to make a bulk purchase. I know of several bags of pens that changed hands--37 Parker 51s in one lot and 49 Sheaffer Snorkels in another. Not to mention an entire tray of early Swans in one hit. Something very difficult to do on eBay. Bulk purchases tend to have good pricing, certainly better than eBay.

Thanks for the info. I'm not interested in large purchases, but it would be nice to be able to hold pens before purchasing them. That's one thing that I don't like about ebay...it's a gamble. I would definitely be willing to pay a bit more and be able to hold the pens first. Are there generally a number of nibmeisters at these events? I would be interested in having one my pens worked on...

A previous poster asked about prices. What is the general consensus? Are prices relatively comparable to ebay?

There is no simple rule. There generally is an established market price for common vintage pens. Pens like a Parker 51 or Sheaffer Snorkel have well established prices at pen shows. They do fluctuate from dealer to dealer based on condition, dealer reputation, and various other factors but there generally is a band. Besides, there are so many of these pens at a pen show you can shop around. These prices are based on buying a single pen. If you buy in quantity then the price can drop until you reach the wholesale price. A lot of activity at pen shows is buying and selling large quantities of pens at whole sale prices. Again, there is a general established wholesale price.

When you are dealing with rare pens then there really is no set rule. There is also often no comparison to eBay since many of these pens do not show up on eBay. They pricing in these cases is all over the map. There is no way to establish a market rate since the pen is so rare.

Bear in mind that the vintage pens are usually sold restored unless noted otherwise. It is a foolish comparison to compare say a $40 Esterbrook at a pen show that has been restored and that you can test versus the $15 Esterbrook you buy on eBay but then needs restoration ($25 labor plus parts) and shipping both ways ($12)

There is no point about in talking about brand new modern pens. The prices are pretty much fixed. The one caveat is if you have a dealer from abroad who sells at prices based on their local distribution price. They can usually undercut every US dealer. In fact, in some cases, their retail price is less than the US dealer cost.

Used modern pens are somewhat like vintage pens. If the pen is still in production then you are more constrained. If the pen is out of production then the pricing is very much like vintage pens.

There are so many different factor that can affect pricing. A pen show involves human interaction. This is a big factor.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

EoC,

My personal take on the subject:

Attending a pen show for the first time will simply be overwhelming - in a very good way. You will see and hold every pen you ever dreamed of, and many you never really thought about. If you see something new to you, the seller can usually tell you all about it. You will get to chat with a room full of people who love pens. When one can't answer your question, they always seem to be able to direct you to the correct person who knows everything about that topic.

The pens will cost slightly more than on ebay, but you can always haggle. In fact, the price is always really just a maximum starting price. If you buy several pens at a time from one seller, the prices approach ebay. But there is also no shipping, and they will already be restored and functional. They will cost less than getting a pen on ebay and then shipping and paying someone else to have it restored. If you like the process of restoration, ebay is great. If you want to see and hold pens, test them out, regardless of buying them or not, a show is the place. If you also really want something hard to find, a show is the place. You will probably find it and get to see the condition, etc.

A pen show is not about dollars and cents (for the average attendee). It is an experience. That being said, you will also likely go and spend quite a lot of money when you see all the treasures to be had. You will go home happy and spent - emotionally and financially.

- Greenie

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'm seriously considering visiting the Chicago Pen Show and might even bring along a few friends. Are dealers quite friendly to newbies? I love my fountain pens but am obviously not as well informed as others.

Overall, everyone is very friendly and quick to help educate the noobs. Teaching younglings only helps make a sale and helps keep the hobby going.

That being said, there are always a few grumpy people in any room. Just move on to the next 10 tables of nice pen people.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'm seriously considering visiting the Chicago Pen Show and might even bring along a few friends. Are dealers quite friendly to newbies? I love my fountain pens but am obviously not as well informed as others.

If you are kind and considerate of people trying to make their money, then you should get kindness and consideration in return. I will encourage a dealer talk to other people if I am browsing. When I am ready I try to ask questions that will help me decide to make a purchase, not just gather general information. I make offers, but do not try to be insulting or curt.

You should find most of the folks who have tables at pen shows are passionate and open to answering a few questions (or more if they are not swamped). Also, if you have a sense of what you might like, the vendor can guide you or even suggest another table to visit with what you are seeking. It is worth the trip. I often find things I would have never even known to look for on eBay.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

EoC,

My personal take on the subject:

Attending a pen show for the first time will simply be overwhelming - in a very good way. You will see and hold every pen you ever dreamed of, and many you never really thought about. If you see something new to you, the seller can usually tell you all about it. You will get to chat with a room full of people who love pens. When one can't answer your question, they always seem to be able to direct you to the correct person who knows everything about that topic.

The pens will cost slightly more than on ebay, but you can always haggle. In fact, the price is always really just a maximum starting price. If you buy several pens at a time from one seller, the prices approach ebay. But there is also no shipping, and they will already be restored and functional. They will cost less than getting a pen on ebay and then shipping and paying someone else to have it restored. If you like the process of restoration, ebay is great. If you want to see and hold pens, test them out, regardless of buying them or not, a show is the place. If you also really want something hard to find, a show is the place. You will probably find it and get to see the condition, etc.

A pen show is not about dollars and cents (for the average attendee). It is an experience. That being said, you will also likely go and spend quite a lot of money when you see all the treasures to be had. You will go home happy and spent - emotionally and financially.

- Greenie

Thanks for this. EoC is never likely to get a chance to visit a pen show (low socioeconomic status and all that), so the notion of spending lots of money is moot. Being dragged up through poverty tends to lend one a slightly different perspective on things - though today EoC is better off than ever, relatively speaking of course, still poor really.

The information part is something of interest, though as noted above it remains academic.

The reason for asking about prices with regard to eBay is precisely because EoC is in one of the worst positions to be for this hobby: knows nobody, lives in a country where pens are practically non-existent, has to factor in shipping costs in all directions, among some of the many drawbacks. If the pen shows demonstrate a small range of prices for some average makes and models, this information would help with dealing with the eBay people. It still won't make acquiring anything decent via eBay any easier - there are some super greedy people out there after all - but it would help to avoid some of the more avaricious or disingenuous types.

EoC's most recent acquisition was a Parker Duofold (streamline) in burgundy. It's in good condition but needed the filling mechanism refurbished. Here's how the cost breaks down:

Pen=$53,

Shipping=$35

Shipping to restorer=$10

Restoration=$15

Return shipping=$13

Total cost = $126

(all costs in US dollars)

So, HERE, is the pen (post #85), although it is currently on the way to Danny Fudge.

The question is, how much would this generally cost at a pen show if it was already restored? Did EoC get a fair deal on eBay?

As you say, new pens are a different animal all together, and because EoC's finances will not run to anything European that only leaves Japanese stuff or possibly some of the custom makers. Japanese pens are cheaper to get directly from Japan quite frankly. There are no qualms with this as there are no B&M stores here anyway, so there is little choice.

At this time, EoC is very much considering changing from vintage to modern simply to avoid having to wade through the often unpleasant online secondary markets. There are still risks involved though, principally the inability to try anything before buying. Some risks are unavoidable it seems.

Next month it is EoC's 51st birthday (getting old now!) and it had been suggested to find a really good example of a Parker 51. However, EoC does not really like the P51 and has already divested himself of the five that were owned. Taking the inevitable risk, EoC has put himself on the list for a Franklin Christoph pen with one Masuyama medium italic and one standard Jowo nib.

A slight digression there!