Another Italic Beginner

mcgreggor57

I've got a Sheaffer 1.5 calligraphy pen and some Clairfountaine paper that I've played with a bit while looking at some Youtube videos. Recently I picked up Margaret Shepherd's Learn Calligraphy and have Gourdie's Italic Handwriting en route along with already downloading some practice guides for a 1.5 as well as the Italic Lettering and Handwriting exercise book from Lloyd Reynolds.

It's so easy to get lost in acquiring stuff when the reality is I've got enough to start some meaningful practice. While a dip pen might be nice, I figure until I spend time with the Sheaffer and company there's no sense in throwing around more money. I can already tell making time will be my biggest hurdle. Hopefully a 3 day weekend, with the bride having to work, will afford me a few hours each day to give this an honest starting effort.

I've already have some simple projects in mind as motivation to commit. The posts in this thread have been quite enabling.

Gregg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mcgreggor57

• Maurizio

• Randal6393

• akustyk

With Learning Calligraphy, you are set up for several broad-edged hands, the basics of a pretty nice handwriting skill set. So, yes, power up and write! Be sure to have fun with what you write as well. Only way to make the hobby last. With work projects already in mind, you should do well.

From my Yoga practice, here's your mantras: As I begin, I Accept myself and my current level of skill. As I work, I remember I Create myself anew every day. And all that I do is to strengthen my place in the universe.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

With Learning Calligraphy, you are set up for several broad-edged hands, the basics of a pretty nice handwriting skill set. So, yes, power up and write! Be sure to have fun with what you write as well. Only way to make the hobby last. With work projects already in mind, you should do well.

From my Yoga practice, here's your mantras: As I begin, I Accept myself and my current level of skill. As I work, I remember I Create myself anew every day. And all that I do is to strengthen my place in the universe.

Enjoy,

This is excellent advice. I will use it myself :)

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

Hi Mac - don't mean to throw a wrench in your plans but feel compelled to suggest a few things.

If you read the first few pages of Reynolds' book, you'll see that he recommends that beginners start with wider nibs because it's much easier to learn to form the letters when you have room to work. If you start your italic journey with the 1.5 you may end up frustrated and think you can't do it. You can do it if you follow his advice and concentrate and keep trying. Therefore I recommend that you get a Pilot Parallel pen in either a 3.8 size or 2.4 size to start your practice with.

In addition, the Shaeffer pen is not a good pen to start with because it does not flow well and you may end up struggling just to get the ink onto the paper. In order to get good at writing italic letters, and I consider myself very much still a student not a master, you have to work toward writing rhythmically. You'll see that Reynolds also instructs to use a light touch as you practice and to "float the pen". This will be difficult to achieve with the Shaeffer. To write in a rhythmic, flowing manner the ink and the nib must freely glide over the paper.

So, if it won't break your budget, get a Pliot and use Pilot ink cartridges. The Pilot ink flows nicely. The Clairefontaine paper is excellent and will let your pen glide. On this forum, I've posted italic guidelines for all four sizes of the Pilot pens. You can find them by a simple google search for something like "pilot parallel pen guidelines fpn".

Hope your not miffed at my advice and I hope you enjoy your journey into the land of italic.

Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Not miffed at all, I appreciate any input! So far the Sheaffer is working well for practicing pen angles and line exercises. I'm planning on getting a different pen once I see if I am disciplined enough to make time to continue. Thanks!

Gregg

I'm relieved. Hope you stick with it.

I've been practicing italic now, on and off, whenever I can spare time, mostly on weekends, but not every weekend by any means for last four years. I have seen slow but steady improvement in my technique. I have practice pages from 2 years ago which I'd be embarrassed to post and just felt confident enough to post some practice sheets last spring for the first time.

Save some practice pages from this beginning phase. If you stick with it, you'll be glad you did so that you can look back and see how much you've improved

Edited by Maurizio

Rather than getting another pen, I suggest you consider getting a set of Mitchell or Brause nibs and a few Mahogany holders. Mitchell nibs are somewhat softer than the Brause. The Brause nibs have a slight right-oblique cut that helps with maintaining the nib angle on longer downstrokes.

A set of Mitchell nibs is about $13, Brause is about $18. Mahogany holders from John Neal Bookseller are about $3.50. If you don't have use for a set, you can also buy nibs individually. Another source of supplies is Paper & Ink Arts.

It will take a little getting used to but you will be very pleased with the results you get with the dip pens. FP ink will most likely work but getting a bottle of Higgins Eternal is a good idea as it is very well behaved with dip pens.

- Salman

Save some practice pages from this beginning phase. If you stick with it, you'll be glad you did so that you can look back and see how much you've improved

Thanks, sounds like a great idea!

Rather than getting another pen, I suggest you consider getting a set of Mitchell or Brause nibs and a few Mahogany holders.

- Salman

Enablers each and every one of you LOL. If all goes well that's the plan.

Gregg

Good luck and enjoy it.