Casein Pen Made In India

Prithwijit

Casein (from Latin caseus, "cheese") is a milk protein which we widely consume in various forms such as cheese and as a food additives. An interesting anecdote in the story of Caseins is that it was a popular ingredient for making some of the earliest plastics called Casein plastics. For a very brief period of time, casein was a popular material in fountain pen manufacturing. This was in early 1920's when it was the only plastic that could be coloured. With the advent of celluloid which was a superior type of plastic, casein quickly fell out of favour. Pens made of casein are quite rare and I have never seen an Indian pen made out of this material.

So when Vince Coates (http://theturnersworkshop.co.uk) made available some casein material, a bunch of us quickly seized the opportunity to get some unique pens done. The material we received was supposedly the same used by Conway Stewart in their brief sojourn of using Casein and hence we naturally opted for getting a few Azaadis made with these imported blanks.

Below are the pictures of the ASA Azaadi made of Casein and also a side by side picture with it's cousin made with normal celluloid acetate. We did not use any rings on this pen since the material was considered too soft to attempt the heat setting method of inserting rings. Also the surface was kept largely untreated (except applying emery paper) in order to retain and exhibit the natural characteristics and property of the material.

post-125832-0-42409400-1455214423_thumb.jpg

post-125832-0-66358300-1455214500_thumb.jpg

post-125832-0-93803000-1455214523_thumb.jpg

post-125832-0-70819800-1455214548_thumb.jpg

Hope you guys liked the pictures. Should you8 guys wish to read my review of the ASA Azaadi, then please click here.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Prithwijit

• ak2k5

• rohit1974

• Sanjay13leo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice review and helping bring out the background and history of casein. Congrats on the case in pen. Nice pictures. Enjoyed reading the blog. What's next ?

Wow nice pen . Thanks for sharing it with us Prithwijit. Is the material soft and warm to touch like celluloid

The material is delightful to the touch since it is quasi organic. Its on eof the softest and smoothest plastic surfaces you can think of.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

Very nice review and helping bring out the background and history of casein. Congrats on the case in pen. Nice pictures. Enjoyed reading the blog. What's next ?

Hi Sanjay,

I sometimes wonder whether we should always strive for the next great thing or is it sometimes a good idea to slow down and enjoy the fruits of one's pursuits till date :)

Regards,

Prithwijit

Prithwi, Mr. Subramanium shared the pics when he just had finished making these lot, and I just loved this particular gem among them ...I had no clue for whom these were supposed to be made..many many CONGRATULATIONS ... :)

Sagar Bhowmick

Prithwi, Mr. Subramanium shared the pics when he just had finished making these lot, and I just loved this particular gem among them ...I had no clue for whom these were supposed to be made..many many CONGRATULATIONS ... :)

Thank you Sagar for the compliments. To the best of my knowledge there have been four pens made including only one for yours truly. The other three are also meant for fellow FPN members.

Regards,

Prithwijit

did this rod came with black specks...

Hi Vaibhav,

Yes the rod had these tiny bubbles or holes which are visible as black specks. We could have tried some fillers, but decided against it so as to show off the original material's properties.

Regards,

Chaki

• 1 month later...

The hint of pinstripe in the white casein is really lovely. Nice pen.

Awesome pen! Congratulations!

Thank you Vardhan and Andrea for the compliments.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Very nice pen, Prithwijit.

Congratulations on being the first, or one of the first, to have a casein pen Made in India.

Casein is one of my favorite materials and I am lucky enough to have several casein pens. they are of utmost softness and the colours are very soft and sweet.

Enjoy! :)

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Very nice pen, Prithwijit.

Congratulations on being the first, or one of the first, to have a casein pen Made in India.

Casein is one of my favorite materials and I am lucky enough to have several casein pens. they are of utmost softness and the colours are very soft and sweet.

Enjoy! :)

Thank you for the compliments. This is my first (and probably the last) casein pen and I got it made simply to experience the material.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Wow! The red one is stunning! Where can we order one? Subbu is organising a group buy?

Contact Vince for Red Stardust blank (hurry before they run out) and ask ASA for an Azaadi using that material.

Regards,

Prithwijit

• 3 weeks later...

looks absolutely stunning..anyway to get it ?i can't find it in their site..

There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair : Haruki Murakami

looks absolutely stunning..anyway to get it ?i can't find it in their site..

Hi,

You need to procure the materials yourself from Vince Coates (http://theturnersworkshop.co.uk) and then contact ASA pens to get these made.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Hi,

You need to procure the materials yourself from Vince Coates (http://theturnersworkshop.co.uk) and then contact ASA pens to get these made.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Do they have international shipping? Thanks...

There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair : Haruki Murakami

Do they have international shipping? Thanks...

Of course they do. How else would I have received it :)

Regards,

Prithwijit