Hero Haifu 186- Any One Might Tell Me How Is The Pen ?

sanyalsoumitra

Actually a plain GLM-961 is kind of difficult to come by

I figured that; most of the ones available now are a little bit cheesy :(

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Seele

• Mech-for-i

• Ian the Jock

TruthPil, congratulations on the language landmark event. That is a remarkable achievement, requiring both discipline and diligence.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

TruthPil, congratulations on the language landmark event. That is a remarkable achievement, requiring both discipline and diligence.

Thanks so much, Bobje! Learning Chinese in my thirties has been far more difficult than learning Korean in my twenties. I feel like I'm really crawling with this language, so any notable progress has been encouraging...and pen-purchase worthy haha.

Edited by TruthPil

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Are these the simple 961s or the cheesy ones?

http://m.tb.cn/h.BA3CfF

The coloured ones are better than those metal ones covered in various patterns, I reckon. But a plain metal one would stay good-looking for much longer.

As you should know I routinely disassemble even brand new pens for thorough cleaning and inspection for potential issues, and also take the opportunity to get them assembled to a higher degree of precision than what the factory could afford on the assembly line. This also includes dealing with the parting line issue on the section as well.

If you have the time, would you be so kind to make an instructional video that shows you going through your process for prepping a new acquisition for service? I'm sure it would be extremely helpful not just for newbies, but those of us just getting into Chinese pens and their peculiarities.

If you have the time, would you be so kind to make an instructional video that shows you going through your process for prepping a new acquisition for service? I'm sure it would be extremely helpful not just for newbies, but those of us just getting into Chinese pens and their peculiarities.

TruthPil,

I guess it would be difficult to make a video that covers even a small variety of pen designs, and I sure would not want to get people in trouble with voiding their warranties, or worse, breaking their pens! I suppose experience is like rolling a snowball down a slope, you keep on building it and that's the only practical way to go it.

TruthPil,

I guess it would be difficult to make a video that covers even a small variety of pen designs, and I sure would not want to get people in trouble with voiding their warranties, or worse, breaking their pens! I suppose experience is like rolling a snowball down a slope, you keep on building it and that's the only practical way to go it.

I understand, I just meant like a video of you going through the steps you usually take when a new pen arrives and needs a tune up, even a really cheap one. It could be prefaced at the beginning by a "do this at your own risk, I'm not responsible" kind of statement like SBRE Brown and others give in such videos. I don't think most Chinese pens even have warranties haha.

The coloured ones are better than those metal ones covered in various patterns, I reckon. But a plain metal one would stay good-looking for much longer.

Do you think the color will wear off on these colored ones? The blue one would be a nice pen to dedicate to some of my teal and blue-black inks, but I don't want another Chinese pen where the textured finished wears off or becomes sticky or something. :angry:

Just a few hours to midnight and then a new year of pen purchases! My finger is on the trigger for one of these, but am debated being the blue one or plain brushed metal.

After spending a lot of time looking at the images of the colored Guanleming 961, I was concerned that the colored matte finish will wear off or nick easily. Despite the plain brushed metal version of the 961 looking a lot like the Hero 146, I went ahead and ordered it anyway.

Guanleming pens in general really deserve more attention.

I just bought a Hero 856 which is essentially about the same pen . :D

I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

Look what came today!

Here are the Huafu 186 and Guanleming 961 in their original packaging:

fpn_1515053161__p1090340.jpg

The nib on the 961 is noticeably larger than that of the 186. They are about equal in flexibility, semi-flex that is. The 961 is around 2mm longer as well. Unlike my 186, the 961 thankfully came with the tines properly aligned.

fpn_1515054894__p1090341.jpg

My first impressions are that the Huafu is somewhat superior as far as construction goes. The big deal breaker for me with the 961 is that it's an aerometric filler. The clear sac will stain easily, instantly limiting the range of inks I can use in this pen. The feed is also made of an inferior plastic than that of the 186. When I pulled it out (without much effort) a couple fins broke off of the back end.

Edited by TruthPil

Hmm, interesting I would have to go back to my cache and fish out my GLM 961 and have a look .. its been quite a while that I get it an inking anyway