Hero Haifu 186- Any One Might Tell Me How Is The Pen ?

sanyalsoumitra

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Seele

• Mech-for-i

• Ian the Jock

It's meant to be a higher-grade pen made by Hero, using the old name of the company Huafu.

Huafu was actually a back-translation of 華孚 which was originally Wolff: with the Chinese name to work from they just rendered it phonetically using the Pinyin method.

A very similar pen bears the Guanleming (AKA William K Rockman) brand. I have not used either but have heard good reviews; as usual, YMMV.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

• 1 year later...

So what's the verdict on this pen??

Somewhat light in weight, mould parting lines down the section but can be dealt with easily within minutes. Squeeze type converter can be replaced by a new one with Hero standard 2.6mm socket, and nib offering some flex capability.

Best of all, it's a steel homage to the style of celluloid pens from ye olde days.

Overall a nice pen to have ; certainly not many such styled pen were made with a solid steel body no less also a C/C filling. Late 90's production. Somewhat sized to the old 26 size pen but length is more like a 28. Had 3 variant all write with a decent bit of cushioning and slight flex. FM more towards M on mine but I am aware of some in true Fine.

Somewhat light in weight, mould parting lines down the section but can be dealt with easily within minutes. Squeeze type converter can be replaced by a new one with Hero standard 2.6mm socket, and nib offering some flex capability.

Best of all, it's a steel homage to the style of celluloid pens from ye olde days.

Thanks, Seele! It's a handsome looking pen going for a mere 25RMB on Taobao, so I thought it would be worth looking in to. Does the squeeze converter remove easily by just pulling? I really hate those Hero squeeze converters.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Thanks, Seele! It's a handsome looking pen going for a mere 25RMB on Taobao, so I thought it would be worth looking in to. Does the squeeze converter remove easily by just pulling? I really hate those Hero squeeze converters.

The converter pulls right out and can be easily replaced; I put in a slide-type one that resembles the Parker design and it works well.

Regarding the mould parting lines: I used a blade to scrape them off flat, and then with a nail buffer, I got it polished back up so nothing shows at all now; a five-minute job.

Overall a nice pen to have ; certainly not many such styled pen were made with a solid steel body no less also a C/C filling. Late 90's production. Somewhat sized to the old 26 size pen but length is more like a 28. Had 3 variant all write with a decent bit of cushioning and slight flex. FM more towards M on mine but I am aware of some in true Fine.

Sorry, Mech-for-i, I just noticed your post in response. Thanks for the information about the nib writing width. I'm always looking for nice wet writers so this may be another potential purchase. I gave up on Hero pens a few years ago after something like five lemons in a row, but they are the most famous FP maker in China so I'm hoping I can at least have one good one on my collection.

I think the very problem with Hero is that they pretty much trash their own reputation with their lower priced / school / workplace pens and of course no less because of the rampant 616 issue ( part of them due to actual dated design , part material but certainly part because of the low price induced by too many fakes, and thus lower QC standard ) .. that stated Hero's mid priced ( or should I say up market ) offering in the say more than 20RMB up to 100RMB price range tend to give sterling service while keeping cost in check. Even though I like their pens, I would be the first one to admit their low end offering is best to be avoided ( vintage is another story . that depend more on individual and specific models )

How does this pen's weight and balance compare to other metal pens like those offered by Jinhao? I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these, but I don't want anymore heavy pens. For me, the Jinhao 165 or 911 weight is perfect as a metal pen. The Jinhao 500 ends up feeling perfect due to excellent balance.

How does this pen's weight and balance compare to other metal pens like those offered by Jinhao? I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these, but I don't want anymore heavy pens. For me, the Jinhao 165 or 911 weight is perfect as a metal pen. The Jinhao 500 ends up feeling perfect due to excellent balance.

It is surprisingly light, I do not have metal Jinhaos so I cannot say but it's only a little weightier than comparable plastics pens.

Thanks, one is now in the mail. :D

With a roll of the eyes, my wife graciously granted me a one-time suspension of my moratorium on pen purchases for the rest of 2017 in celebration of my reaching a major landmark in my Chinese studies today.

Thanks, one is now in the mail. :D

With a roll of the eyes, my wife graciously granted me a one-time suspension of my moratorium on pen purchases for the rest of 2017 in celebration of my reaching a major landmark in my Chinese studies today.

so what might that major landmark be ... just curious

With a roll of the eyes, my wife graciously granted me a one-time suspension of my moratorium on pen purchases for the rest of 2017.

Only 3 or so weeks to go then.

AND THEN YOU CAN GO MENTAL :D

Ian

so what might that major landmark be ... just curious

I was able to conduct an hour and a half meeting entirely in Chinese.

Of course it was mostly scripted and I had to rely on pinyin for a few characters, but the fact that I could say that much in Chinese after only studying part-time after work for about 2 years made it a huge feat for me.

Wow! This is the type of pen that gives the Chinese pen industry a bad reputation because this is so much like a Sheaffer pen. Very Prelude like.with a Sheaffer "No-Nonsense" clip.

Aye?

I wouldn't have known that.. Genuinely.

I have no interest in Sheaffers, and know very little about them other than I like the look of their inlaid and Triumph nibs, but not enough to buy one.

The attraction with the 186, for me, is the flex nib, and the screw on cap, but curiosity got the better of me and while typing this, I googled up some balance pics to see the "look-a-likey" and I'll be honest, I thought I'd googled the wrong pen.

It looks nothing like it.

The Huafu has flattish ends with a jewel in the cap, and the balance is rocket shaped with pointy ends (which I dont care for in a pen) and I couldn't find anything "all metal", Or am I looking at completely the wrong pen? :D

Ian

Edited by Ian the Jock

Ive just realised I was :D

You were talking about the Prelude, and the Balance clip :D :D

I don't think it particularly looks like the Prelude either, and a bit of digging found that the Prelude was possibly released after the Huafu.

Hmmmm... More digging required.

Ian

Edited by Ian the Jock

I wouldn't be surprised if it writes better than a Prelude.

With a flexy nib, it's a sure fire certainty, I'd imagine.

I'm certainly not put off by any perceived Sheaffer comparisons, and can't wait for mine to drop onto the mat. :)

Ian

Ive just realised I was :D

You were talking about the Prelude, and the Balance clip :D :D

I don't think it particularly looks like the Prelude either, and a bit of digging found that the Prelude was possibly released after the Huafu.

Hmmmm... More digging required.

Ian

I realised I may have caused offense and so I have deleted the statement because I don't want to start a "anti Chinese" argument. Sorry guys.

Edited by ian1964