My collection is getting larger

So as a new collector I have

Pavarotti FP M

149 FP EF

Collodi FP B

Shaw FP M

Schiller FP M

Starwalker FP

So I made a list of pens I want to get to round it out and was thinking if you could just tell me which ones you believe are the most desirable. I am not trying to make profit but I can not collect all so at least want to have the main ones. I know this might sound stupid but I guess I want pens that will still be desirable like hemingway or proust.

Pens I would like to own:

Julius 888- ( NOO WAYYY ;))

Gaius 4810

Peter 4810

Catherine 4810

Octavian

Poe

Verne

Einstein

Leonardo

Nikolai and the nice Lapis lazuli ;)

Now which ones would you think are most desirable from the WE and Poa

Whether I would be better off buying a Great Character or precious stone solitaire

I could probably buy one patron in the next month so have to choose

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrej

• zaddick

• Pravda

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Lapis pens are referred to as the Ramses II pens after the pharaoh.

Of the Patrons you mentioned, the most desirable is the Julius 888 (that's probably pretty clear). Octavian is a POA pen and one of the more desirable ones. I would put that above the Julius in terms of popularity, but they are fairly hard to find for cheap. After that I would say Peter or Catherine depending on what color you like better. Some people like the Gaius, but it seemed to be a slow seller to me.

Verne was more popular int he secondary market than Poe. The Verne prices have fallen a bit so you might be able to score a good deal.

I am not a fan of the Great character pens except the Hitchcock, but I am in the minority here on that one. People seem to like the Leonardo more than the Einstein. It is more "innovative" in its design.

The stone cap solitaire pens are pretty much always around and not hard to find. Patience will score you a good deal. I would say no rush on those pens as they will not be going anywhere.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

And congrats on getting the Collodi. That is a great pen with a lot of fine features for a WE. One of the better recent ones in my opinion.

I must admit I never liked the Collodi, but at the time I bought them, I loved the Thomas Mann and the Jules Verne.

Now my priorities have changed and because I have never used them I have decided to not keep them. I only keep pens that I'm not afraid to use

I have used the Mark Twain though, and I think that's a really desirable pen. :wub:

And congrats on getting the Collodi. That is a great pen with a lot of fine features for a WE. One of the better recent ones in my opinion.

Thanks. It is one of the pens I just had to get. So besides Hemingway or Christie what would be the next most popular WE? For the PoA's you think Octavian is the most desirable I assume

I must admit I never liked the Collodi, but at the time I bought them, I loved the Thomas Mann and the Jules Verne.

Now my priorities have changed and because I have never used them I have decided to not keep them. I only keep pens that I'm not afraid to use

I have used the Mark Twain though, and I think that's a really desirable pen. :wub:

Cheers mate I like the Twain also

Thanks. It is one of the pens I just had to get. So besides Hemingway or Christie what would be the next most popular WE? For the PoA's you think Octavian is the most desirable I assume

The other top WE is clearly Proust. After that, pick a favorite. People seem to like Wilde, Verne, Dumas, Mann, etc. From my observations, there are the top three, a group of pens that are popular but not universally loved, and a third tier where you like it or you don't like Woolf, Kafka, Faulkner, etc.

I like Octavian but it is not my favorite. I like the Medici better (way more expensive) and the Carnegie and Morgan.

Edited by zaddick

I mean not a great fan of Woolf, Faulkner. So I guess poe collodi or shaw would be the third tier :D I would think the verne is up there with the Proust ?

What about the PoA

I know Medici is the one and then?

I mean not a great fan of Woolf, Faulkner. So I guess poe collodi or shaw would be the third tier :D I would think the verne is up there with the Proust ?

What about the PoA

I know Medici is the one and then?

Verne might have been top tier a few years ago, but I think it is now second tier. The pen is heavy and not everyone likes the design. It is popular enough to see fakes so let's put it at the top of the second tier. Dumas is another that people seem to like - a cheaper way to get the 139 shape like the Hemingway and also get the #9 nib.

I think Shaw and Poe are second tier - solid, middle pack choices in terms of popularity.

Collodi is probably third tier with a design you like or don't. But I like Kafka so maybe i am not the best judge of taste. (But c'mon - who else has a pen with a cockroach on the nib!)

POA is a lot more scattered in terms of consensus as to what is most popular. I think it comes down to personal preferences, but maybe others have a clear opinion.

I really like the Dumas and Hemingway but have not found another MB WE that excites me.

Interesting pens. The hemingway is a bit pricey and I am looking for nice price

I believe I meant to say: I like your taste :) hehe

Funny that you mentioned Cat 4810 and Jul 888 because that's exactly how I picked them.

I believe I meant to say: I like your taste :) hehe

Funny that you mentioned Cat 4810 and Jul 888 because that's exactly how I picked them.

Thanks

I like both and also incude Peter Gaius Octavian in my list. Those are my top PoA :D

Nice taste as well. Can you send me some pictures of whole collection :D

some writers are plain awesome... and the fact that they are called "writers edition" kinda forces you to use them...! :D

Yeah hah I am sure there will be more than few looks when I pop the collodi out in a lecture :D

I like them I just am still thinking whether to collect all of the writers or to get the ones I like from WE Poa :D

Haha - it's amazing how people's taste's differ.

The Julius was the first 888 I purchased - i still love it.

POA: Agree best to save your money for the Medici but have a look at the Charlemagne (Karl de Gross) - not grossly overpriced and a beautiful pen which writes beautifully.

WEs: again very personal. Hemingway has to be number 1 - after that, Verne, Christie, Poe and Wilde (the colours of the latter two are really fantastic in the flesh). I also really like the Twain but the Shaw is another fantastic pen that looks and writes fantastically. The Tolstoy has really surprised me too and i think will go on to be a collectible in a few years.

Great: The series has changed with the SEs and LEs. I just love my JFK LE - awesome guilloche. Wish I'd bought a Leonardo when i had the chance :-(

At the end of the day - you have to look at (and hopefully write with) your chosen pen so go with your heart, not your investment cap.........

Montblanc POA Series

Haha - it's amazing how people's taste's differ.

The Julius was the first 888 I purchased - i still love it.

POA: Agree best to save your money for the Medici but have a look at the Charlemagne (Karl de Gross) - not grossly overpriced and a beautiful pen which writes beautifully.

WEs: again very personal. Hemingway has to be number 1 - after that, Verne, Christie, Poe and Wilde (the colours of the latter two are really fantastic in the flesh). I also really like the Twain but the Shaw is another fantastic pen that looks and writes fantastically. The Tolstoy has really surprised me too and i think will go on to be a collectible in a few years.

Great: The series has changed with the SEs and LEs. I just love my JFK LE - awesome guilloche. Wish I'd bought a Leonardo when i had the chance :-(

At the end of the day - you have to look at (and hopefully write with) your chosen pen so go with your heart, not your investment cap.........

I like the Charlemagne, I will try to get it or Peter, Catherine Gaius. Those are nice.

For WE's I also like defoe. Do you think tolstoy will be collectible? There is a Leonardo in my boutique still.

I am not thinking of resale just I want pens that would remain popular since I can't collect all :D