Mb Fakes

lunarfp

Who bids on these pens? $290 for a fake roller. Wow.

Whomever bought it, my heart goes out for him. Unfortunately this seller has been going at it for awhile now - A garbo roller, a boxed 163 Bordeaux (serial IW1666858) etc.

Buyers, please beware of kobip25 (who also goes by shir_elias123).

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ASL

• lunarfp

• jar

• hombreverde

Top Posters In This Topic

What gives it away as being fake? I'm trying to learn how discern the fakes on ebay...

Most commonly;

- Ridiculously looking converter with MONT BLANC printed

- Serial number (google it, lots of fakes use the same & the font used)

- Packaging (some cases have an inverted black snow cap, some booklets misspell 'writing instruments')

- Compare the nibs against a genuine (stamped differently in both font & words)

Many state if it's a piston filler, high chances it's legit

Also it helps to know what pens Montblanc actually issued in what models. They never made a Greta Garbo rollerball, so if you see one for sale you know it has to be a fake. :)

Who bids on these pens? $290 for a fake roller. Wow.

Whomever bought it, my heart goes out for him. Unfortunately this seller has been going at it for awhile now - A garbo roller, a boxed 163 Bordeaux (serial IW1666858) etc.

Buyers, please beware of kobip25 (who also goes by shir_elias123).

Item 141895734961 is a roller, and all photos are Hazy .. lunarfp, how could you decide - particularly on this pen- its fake ??

Am I missing something very clear ? Thanks in advance for enlighten me..

Amr

Cheers - Amr S Laithy

Email: amrslaithy@gmail.com

Cairo Egypt

Also it helps to know what pens Montblanc actually issued in what models. They never made a Greta Garbo rollerball, so if you see one for sale you know it has to be a fake. :)

:lol:

Item 141895734961 is a roller, and all photos are Hazy .. lunarfp, how could you decide - particularly on this pen- its fake ??

Amr

MB did not make a roller ball in the Greta Garbo line.

My Website

One must be careful about broad statements that a pen was never made.

For example, Montblanc did not "offer" a rollerball in the LeGrand size faceted platinum pens. But wait! Montblanc did make them! A very small group of them were made to distribute at the dinner for VIPs of Signature for Good in New York City several years ago. I already use a 100th year rollerball, so after a few years of it stored in its box, I grudgingly sold the faceted platinum pen that Montblanc presented to me to a man in Europe, who was very eager to lay his hands on such a very rare pen. Had I listed it on eBay, I probably would have been accused to selling a fake.

This advice is repeated over and over again: eBay is a risky place to do business if you aren't aware of the nuances of Montblanc pen manufacture.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

MB did not make a roller ball in the Greta Garbo line.

Hi Jar

The pen in question here is not a Greta Garbo, it's a meisterstuck roller, Ebay ID Number 141895734961 MONTBLANC Meisterstuck diamond 163 gold Rollerball Pen.

I am not affiliated with the seller by all means .. I just wanted to understand how did they reach a firm conclusion its FAKE.

Cheers

Amr

Cheers - Amr S Laithy

Cairo Egypt

Hi Jar

The pen in question here is not a Greta Garbo, it's a meisterstuck roller, Ebay ID Number 141895734961 MONTBLANC Meisterstuck diamond 163 gold Rollerball Pen.

I am not affiliated with the seller by all means .. I just wanted to understand how did they reach a firm conclusion its FAKE.

Cheers

Amr

Okay, my mistake. I thought you were referring to the Garbo.

My Website

Okay, my mistake. I thought you were referring to the Garbo.

No Problems at all dear .. Cheers .. Amr

Cheers - Amr S Laithy

Cairo Egypt

Lousy photos, 25 sales total, that's enough for me to not even look closely to begin with.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

One must be careful about broad statements that a pen was never made.

For example, Montblanc did not "offer" a rollerball in the LeGrand size faceted platinum pens. But wait! Montblanc did make them! A very small group of them were made to distribute at the dinner for VIPs of Signature for Good in New York City several years ago. I already use a 100th year rollerball, so after a few years of it stored in its box, I grudgingly sold the faceted platinum pen that Montblanc presented to me to a man in Europe, who was very eager to lay his hands on such a very rare pen. Had I listed it on eBay, I probably would have been accused to selling a fake.

This advice is repeated over and over again: eBay is a risky place to do business if you aren't aware of the nuances of Montblanc pen manufacture.

Fred

OK If Montblanc made a Greta Garbo rollerball then they never told anybody, or advertised it, or mentioned it on their web-site with the Greta Garbo pens they have issued :)

Amr

I think it was only made in platinum trim not gold, the diamond actually looks too big in the ebay one, and no matter the angle the dome should always look clear and not opaque like the ebay does on one picture.

What gives it away as being fake? I'm trying to learn how discern the fakes on ebay...

You were given excellent advices by fellow FPN members. I'll add a bit more below.

Amr

Hi Amr, here's why I think this pen is a counterfeit. For starters, the diamond shape is wrong. Its corners are too sharp. It looks more like a flower rather than the Montblanc star. Also, the trims should be platinum coated while the fake pen trims are painted yellow gold. So both the color and the material are wrong.

http://www.montblanc.com/content/dam/mtb/products/writing-instruments/105/982/105982/207652-ecom-osis-sq-04.png.adapt.1500.1500.png

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/2HsAAOSwa-dWs9j9/s-l1600.jpg

Montblanc never released a Greta Garbo rollerball pen. At least, not that I know of. But I would add that the trim color is off - it should've been silver, not gold.

Lastly, the bordeaux rollerball pen has the common fake serial number IW1666858. Always look for the serial. That's the easiest way to spot a counterfeit.

Hope it helps.

Excellent & Many thanks, I was unable to find out such discrepancies, photos submitted on Ebay were too lousy and Hazy, but you made your point very clear. once again thanks.

Cheers - Amr S Laithy

Cairo Egypt