The Fpn 2015 Le Blue Pearl Celebration - Second Batch

wimg

Dearest Members and Visitors of our little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Your chance to obtain an FPN LE Blue Pearl Celebration LE :).

All the pens manufactured in the first batch run of our Group Buy from CONID, all 33 of them, have been sold out. As we needed a total of 20 for production, this clearly was a runaway success! :)

Now production has been started and all parameters are set, it means that from here onwards batches can be as small as 10 pens, although 15 is preferred.

Therefore do grab this chance, the faster we have 10 confirmed and paid for orders, the faster we can start production of this next batch! :)

Get one here: FPN's Pen Store

:)

Pen description and other important info:

1. Two Payment Options

Our Store has two payment options for buying our gorgeous FPN Blue Pearl Celebration pen.

There is both a USD Order option, which follows the usual process, with immediate payment, in USD ($) via PayPal, and a second option, the EURO Order option.

The latter option is a bit more complex, but it offers savings of approximately 10%, depending on change rate and where you are.

Essentially, this is a manual PayPal payment option. The ordering process though the store effectively is a manual option, and when you get to the "Finished" screen, it displays a final amount to pay.

It will still say $ in front of the amount number. This currency sign, due to the limitations of our store, is wrong, however! It is the actual amount number that counts, and the number is literally a Euro amount.

What you need to do next is visit PayPal, login to your account and pay, or do a direct payment, to our FPN PayPal account as indicated on the "Finished" screen. The amount to be paid is the amount number indicated by the "Finished" screen, but you have to make sure you select Euro as a currency to pay in! This is the only currency we will accept these payments in, as it is the only way we will be able to provide this additional discount. And the amount number has to be equal to the amount number calculated and displayed in the "Finished" screen!

Do note that if a non-Euro currency is used for these payments, we will, out of necessity, refund the payment made immediately, minus an admin fee, as we do incur transaction costs regardless. So please make doubly sure you pay in Euros!

2. Shipping

Shipping costs have been added to the Euro Order amount as well.

These costs are VAT exempt, so even those who order from the EU, will not have to pay VAT on shipping costs, and shipping options are automatically excluded from VAT calculations.

Because the pens are shipped from our HQ in the Netherlands, EU members will not have to pay any additional custom charges. That effectively is taken care of by the fact that VAT will have been paid on these pens.

The shipping method we use is based on fully insured shipping, which is Priority shipping worldwide.

3. Nib Options

We found a way to permanently display nib options to be selected, and therefore combined the 3 different nib options in a single store item, one for the USD Order option, and one for the Euro order option.

IOW, no worries about nib selections running out. We are allowed to order any number of F, M or B nibs.

For additional nibs, do contact us directly.

4. Nib Customization

We also added a number of Nib Customization options, to both ordering options, from duo-points (nibs writing both normally and in reverse), to extremely fine points (XF to 4XF), and a variety of italics.

The different options are linked to nib sizes, so please choose carefully. Nib modifications with our FPN LE pens do get preferential treatment, they are moved to the top of the queue, so that there is no delay in shipping the pen(s) to you.

If you have a special or different customization request, please contact us, and we will likely be able to provide you with pricing on other modifications.

If you'd like to add Nib Customizations at a later stage, that is possible, but please do ask first prior to ordering these, just in case your pen is very close to shipping, or has been shipped already. In these cases it is no longer possible to create a customized nib for your pen. Just contact us backchannel.

5. The actual pen

This is a pen to celebrate 11 years of FPN, and it is available for purchase, as a Group Buy.

It is appropriately called the FPN Blue Pearl Celebration LE, is the most extravagant we have ever created. As 11 years is the crazy number, we thought we'd do something a little crazy, hence this rather magnificent, extravagant fountain pen.

This pen is made by CONID in Antwerp, Belgium, in their first rate factory, and designed by our own fountainbel, engineer by profession and pen lover at heart.

It is a King Size Bulkfiller, truly an outstanding piece, from an engineering, design and materials point of view.

fpn_1455026764__pen-and-box-01.jpg

fpn_1455026811__pen-and-box-02.jpg

Starting with the material, it is a stunning very high quality, unstressed acrylic, in a mix of colours resembling some of the best celluloids out there, but obviously a lot less flammable :). Anybody who has ever seen the celluloid Tibaldis with blue and slightly green-yellow cream coloured layers of material, will be drawn to this pen immediately. The colours are even more intense than that particular celluloid, en have even more depth. You have to see it to believe it. It is a truly incredible material. Cap, section, barrel and bulkfiller button are all created from this magnificent material. There is only enough material to just create a limited edition of these pens, and it will not be used therefore for any other pen.

fpn_1455026892__pen-rock-01s.png

fpn_1455026957__pen-rock-02s.png

It obviously is a pen made to the extremely high and very exacting standards of CONID and fountainbel. It is engineered from the best materials only, trim and threading turned out of titanium, and all seals in this pen are created purely by screw threads and/or rubber seals - no glue is used in this pen whatsoever. Just one place has some shellac applied, and that is the ink view window. As this ink view window is fixed and sealed with shellac, it is easily removable as well if need be. The pen comes with a single small tool, which is all that is required to take this pen apart into all of its parts, making it easily cleanable, and the parts easily replaceable. Well thought out engineering and planning clearly lay at the base of this design.

fpn_1455027035__pen-feather-02s.png

The filling system of this pen is the by now famous, patented (patent pending) design of fountainbel, the bulkfiller. It is elegant and beautiful at the same time, and it also is the system which allows one to fill a pen with the highest fill rate possible, as the system allows one to fill the barrel completely with ink, up to a stunning 3 millilitre, or 3 cc! That is an awesome amount of ink. Imagine, 16 fills from a standard 50 ml ink bottle only! Of course it was designed with a shut-off mechanism too, one wouldn't expect anything less from such a pen. The beauty of the shut-off design makes it possible to still write a page, and probably two or even more (depending on nib type of course), with the shut-off enabled. It also makes it leak proof, so this pen can be taken along anywhere, without having to worry about ink escaping at all, in the wrong places or at the wrong moment.

fpn_1455027580__all-pens-02s.jpg

We still haven't mentioned the nib yet. Well, this is a monstrous, gigantic, 14K #8 gold nib, made by Bock, especially for CONID. And yes, you read that right: an enormous, 8 mm nib! These nibs are available in F, M and B. However, they can be modified to an italic or oblique, or extra fine if you so like, at additional cost. These nib modifications are done with respect to the nib, not by removing almost all tipping material. This work is done lovingly, and completely manually, by an expert nib enhancer (aka nibmeister).

fpn_1455027407__italic-nib-03s.png

fpn_1455027442__nib-under-01s.png

Even the box of this fountain pen is a master piece. It is made from a single piece of aluminium, with a large foam insert to hold the pen, its servicing tool, and potentially other pieces you might want to store with it. This box s made especially for the FPN Blue Pearl Celebration, in a colour unique again for this production only.

fpn_1439328131__f4stxt.jpg

This is obviously not going to be a cheap pen. We will only make a maximum of 132 of this particular model, there isn't enough material for more, and we may even have to settle for a smaller number, due to the very limited availability of this material.

Last year, CONID made another LE, also a King Size Bulkfiller, made entirely from a single material, including the section, with a #8 nib as well. That sold for about 1420 euros excluding VAT and excluding shipping, a whopping 1700+ euros including VAT. And that Limited Edition, although smaller in number than the FPN Blue Pearl Celebration, sold out in just a couple of weeks time, such is the trust in the products of this company and its designer/engineer!

As mentioned, this is a Group Buy, so how does this work?
We needed an initial order of 20 pens to be able to start production, and as this point was reached easily - the first batch ended up being 33 pens in total, which are all sold. From here onwards, we need batches of a minimum of 10 pens, preferably 15, so the faster we have at least 10 paid for orders, the faster we can produce our next batch(es).

Once the pens are manufactured, assembled and QA tested, and the nibs mounted and tuned, they are sent on the FPN HQ in Europe. Here they will undergo a final QA inspection and test, any nib work will be carried out if so required. Once inspected, tested, and any nib tuning and modifications carried out, the pens will be shipped to the respective new owners.

To order one of these these fantastic pens, check out our FPN Store

Warm regards, Wim

On behalf of the FPN Moderator and Admin team

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• Mulrich

• Out0Mind

• mauckcg

Top Posters In This Topic

Status update: 1 sold, 9 to go! :)

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 3 weeks later...

Another status update, and a message received from one of our members who received his pen :).

We have sold 2 pens so far, a few weeks ago already, and just need another 8 for the next batch :).

Here is a quote from an email of one of our members (published with permission :)):

Hi Wim,

I'm pretty much speechless as to how amazing this pen is! I have concluded that it is quite likely it's the nicest pen I will ever see and write with! It's by a long shot better than any other pen I've used and seen previously, including my other Conid pen! The colors are absolutely breathtaking and mesmerizing.

The nib is SO wonderful!!!! I'm not exaggerating when I say it is the best nib I've ever used by far! It has the perfect blend of line variation, flex, wetness, and smoothness! It is seriously perfect - truly flawlessly ground!!! Thank you so much! :-)

I haven't stopped grinning like a happy idiot since I opened the box and I have a feeling the big grin on my face will be there for quite some time!

Thank you doesn't feel sufficient for the unbelievable pen and nib that you made, but please know I am so truly thankful and appreciative for your careful and precise nibwork. It is very much the perfect pen for me and is so much more than I was even expecting. Thank you so much!

Sincerely,

Dan

And the accompanying picture:

fpn_1457619523__fullsizerender.jpg

Don\t miss out on a similar experience, just go and get yours :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

FPN Blue Pearl is my first Conid pen. I am so impressed with Conid that I have since ordered two other Conid pens.

I should note that the "ordinary" Conids have a very utilitarian look and are either demonstrators or reminiscent of Lamy 2000 design aesthetic - see the Conid website. There is nothing wrong with that, and I quite like that.

But if you want an eye-poppingly beautiful special finish Conid, go for the Blue Pearl. I did, and I do not regret it at all: quite the contrary, I am extremely happy and have been using it nearly every day since I received it.

FPN Blue Pearl is my first Conid pen. I am so impressed with Conid that I have since ordered two other Conid pens.

I should note that the "ordinary" Conids have a very utilitarian look and are either demonstrators or reminiscent of Lamy 2000 design aesthetic - see the Conid website. There is nothing wrong with that, and I quite like that.

But if you want an eye-poppingly beautiful special finish Conid, go for the Blue Pearl. I did, and I do not regret it at all: quite the contrary, I am extremely happy and have been using it nearly every day since I received it.

I think it is the most beautiful one ever produced so far :).

And we're only need another 7 sales for the next batch to be produced :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

• 3 weeks later...

As requested by several members, here is a repeat of measurements and weights I did a while ago:

Weights:

- unfilled, entire pen: 29.4 grams

- cap: 7.6 grams

- pen, uncapped, unfilled: 21.8 grams

- filled, entire pen: 32.4 grams

- pen, uncapped, filled: 24.8 grams

I haven't got my calliper handy, so measurements are with a high quality ruler.

Measurements:

- Length pen, capped: 142 mm

- Length cap: 64 mm

- Length pen, uncapped: 136 mm

- Maximum thickness pen: 14.4 mm

- Thickness section, minimum: 11.8 mm

- Nib length protruding from section: 25.3 mm

- Maximum cap thickness (excluding clip): 16 mm

All length and thickness measurements are approximate, obviously, but close enough.

We now need only 3 more sales before we can order our next batch :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Hopefully three more folks pick up the last few soon. Super excited to receive mine, whenever the batch goes into production!

We are speaking with a few people, details and such, but decisions like these are not made lightly by most :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Totally fair. That said, I can't imagine anyone who makes the plunge wil be disappointed. So exciting!

Yes, it is! :)

I love mine, been using it ever since I received it as my main goto-pen :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

• 2 weeks later...

Just wished to say: the custom design in the Vari-Italic nib is the most beautifully smooth - gliding - truly variable writing nib EVER. I may never own another pen of this caliber as it was an indulgence, but I use it every day. Now that I am less concerned about being gentle with it, found out just how fast I can write with it and for how long .... pages and pages and more pages .... if I won a lottery I would buy an entire order of 15 just to see each different arrangement of the fabulous material in the barrel, each quite unique AND to see how many different writing experiences you, dear WIm, could provide by changing the tips on the nibs. This magnificent writing instrument is one of my treasurers, as stunningly attractive as any piece of fine jewellery with a practical use!

Know what you believe.

Thank you, bushbunny! :D

Warmest regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

One way of doing a comparison is to ask people with which pens would they thoughtfully compare this one for writing quality. What else would you buy, if this were not an FPN/Conidi pen?

I looked at it for the first time today. I have no interest in a large reservoir, nor does style come first in my criteria even though it is among them. If it writes very well compared with other pens of similar price, and also has style and even supports FPN as well, then good.

So, your reflections please? I am interested in any thoughts.

X

Hi OutOMind,

I got a duopoint on my LE Blue Pearl.

Not that I would attempt to sway your decision about how many LE Blue Pearl pens you might want to get. However, if two pens aren't in the plan, you could always get an extra nib/section unit! And with that you could also get a duopoint on both the pen & eXtra unit. That would be like having four of the LE Blue Pearls !! 😊.

Both the regular position and the reverse side of the nib are super smooth writers.

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!

Hi OutOMind,

I got a duopoint on my LE Blue Pearl.

Not that I would attempt to sway your decision about how many LE Blue Pearl pens you might want to get. However, if two pens aren't in the plan, you could always get an extra nib/section unit! And with that you could also get a duopoint on both the pen & eXtra unit. That would be like having four of the LE Blue Pearls !! .

Both the regular position and the reverse side of the nib are super smooth writers.

Very very true. I ordered a duopoint as well, and am excited to get a chance to use it. Ordering a second nib is a great idea that, for some reason, I didn't think of, and I may have to give some consideration.

If you don't mind my asking, what widths did you get your duopoint?

One way of doing a comparison is to ask people with which pens would they thoughtfully compare this one for writing quality. What else would you buy, if this were not an FPN/Conidi pen?

I looked at it for the first time today. I have no interest in a large reservoir, nor does style come first in my criteria even though it is among them. If it writes very well compared with other pens of similar price, and also has style and even supports FPN as well, then good.

So, your reflections please? I am interested in any thoughts.

Reflecting on your question, with some introspective thought as well an objective consideration of 'comparable' I can only say, while over the years I have purchased and sold pens of a comparable dollar value, I have never written with a pen that delivered a comparable writing experience.

I am a writer, not a fountain pen connoisseur nor a collector. My priority is pen performance, in my hand. This pen delivers. This pen fits my hand for hours of writing creating no hand strain. After the initial break-in ink fill with the ubiquitous Waterman blue, the pen has been filled with Noodlers Zhivago green and Shah's Rose, now a Caron d'Arche Chromatic (Magnetic Blue) and next up is the Iroshizuku in Hydrangea. I even wrote for a week with the notoriously dry cryptid ink from Scribal Workshop in Nessie. The Conid Kingsize Bulkfiller has handled these very different inks on papers ranging from Lalo, Neenah and Clairfontaine to my favourite Tomoe River without a stutter.

Had it not been for this extraordinary FPN LE opportunity I would not have considered, at least had not to this point in time ever considered, a Kingsize Bulkfiller. I would have missed the writing experience of a life time.

While sports cars and utility vehicles, say a Hummer, can be of equal dollar value, while very different, their purpose to transport a driver from point A to point B is the same. The experience of the ride is considerably different.

Perhaps it is the same with pens.

Know what you believe.