Comparison Of Platinum #3376 & Platinum President

sandy101

Hello, can anyone please confirm whether nibs are interchangeable between the President and 3776 models?

Any help appreciated :)

No. Not interchangeable thank God.

My Website

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• masao

• A Smug Dill

• stan

Top Posters In This Topic

Jar, thanks for your clarification.

I tried the President nib in an Izumo pen some time ago, and liked it very much, but the pen leaked everywhere and went back. I have just ordered a new President :)

✒️ :happyberet:

• 3 months later...

Thanks Jar for the wonderful pics. Hard to find the Burgundy president in pics ( besides the official ones)

I'm surprised amounts the comments comparing the 3776 and President with the former being superior. I thought the president was their flagship excluding the maki/urushi lines?

Thanks Jar for the wonderful pics. Hard to find the Burgundy president in pics ( besides the official ones)

I'm surprised amounts the comments comparing the 3776 and President with the former being superior. I thought the president was their flagship excluding the maki/urushi lines?

According to Platinum's own marketing material, the President is the company's the "flagship line". However, I think consumer perception, at least outside of Japan, might be somewhat different (I am not sure about the President line's appeal in Japan).

As someone who owns and enjoys both #3776 Century and President pens, the #3776 Century pens feel higher end in terms of the plastic itself, the inclusion of Platinum's Slip & Seal technology, and the variety of materials and colors. The President does feature an 18k nib, and is a larger, more substantial pen in terms of size but is also quite light. I think the ideal pen for me would combine the best of both worlds: materials from the #3776 Century range with the Slip & Seal mechanism in a President-sized body.

Interestingly, the LE #3776 Century models have the same price as the rhodium trim Presidents.

• 2 months later...

I think you may be confusing "scratchy" with "feedbacky."

"Scratchy" is a sense that the tines are misaligned and feel like they're sticking to and grabbing into the paper (I suppose, can't say I ever experienced a scratchy pen). "Feedbacky" means there's some sound and it's not super-smooth, but you can still feel the paper with the pen.

My #3776 is feedbacky, but it's not scratchy.

When you see paper being scraped off, it is scratchy, and that happens with my 3776 medium. Sure, there is feedback, AND scratch, even on a perfectly aligned nib.

The broad nib is, however, totally different. Feels like two totally different pens compared to the medium. But still relatively dry for a broad nib.

Edited by minddance

• 3 years later...

Sorry for the dredge. 

Reading the replies in here, would I be correct in assuming the President nib is more 'western' (smooth, broader); whilst the 3776 nib is more 'japanese' (feedback, finer)?

Considering buying a 3776 with a broad nib to complement the 3776 I have with a soft fine, but also considering the President.

52 minutes ago, Ste_S said:

Reading the replies in here, would I be correct in assuming the President nib is more 'western' (smooth, broader); whilst the 3776 nib is more 'japanese' (feedback, finer)?

Not in my experience, comparing F nibs from the two lines (although my 18K gold President-imprinted F nibs came fitted on Izumo Tamenuri and not President pens).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

My crystal ball suggests the President will soon be phased out if it is not already being phased out in favor of the Izumo. What we see for sale might be accumulated stock. Japanese pen companies in the past have included models in catalogues that were not longer on the assembly line. 

Platinum has introduced several LE Presidents with different colored caps and barrels but, there has not been an effort comparable to the 3776.

This is not to say the President was or is a bad pen. It filled/fills a marketing niche. I've always considered it strange the model has not changed in twenty years. However, am certain, the model has it's followers.

Comparing President nibs to 3776 nibs...we could go on ad infinitum. I have a LE Izumo from Kingdom Note with a MEDIUM nib. I might have convinced myself there are good, better, and best nibs from Platinum. Out of the box it wrote fairly well with slight scratchiness (some will call it feedback). It seemed to break in after about a week - maybe adjusting to my writing style. Then came a few weeks where writing was more difficult - poorer ink flow, more scratchiness. Today it writes perfectly and has done so for over three years.

I believe much has to do with how I hold the pen and my writing style. I've attempted to adjust how I write over time. Signatures more fluid and stylish. Printing more vertical with some flourishes. And, I still write cursively and quickly. The pen has not failed me. Occasionally I had to consciously orient the pen in my hand for it to write better. This is natural depending on my style.

In summary, how we write impacts the scratchiness and feedbackety feeling we feel. Could also be due to how hard we bear onto the paper. I'm a heavy writier.

My two cents.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2021 at 11:40 PM, stan said:

My crystal ball suggests the President will soon be phased out

Good call!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/362430-last-chance-for-platinum-president-black-rhodium/

In light of that and more, I'm very glad that, for one reason or another, to get another Platinum UEF nib I ended up ordering a President (but not from Nibs.com) recently instead of another #3776 Century, just before my self-imposed hiatus from buying pens and consumables for the hobby.

On 8/16/2017 at 2:12 PM, sugna said:

As someone who owns and enjoys both #3776 Century and President pens, the #3776 Century pens feel higher end in terms of the plastic itself,

As someone who also owns and enjoys pens in both Platinum product lines, I wouldn't say so. I've always rated Sailor and Pilot distinctly higher than Platinum for feel-in-hand of the (barrel) materials in their entry-level gold-nibbed pens, comparing like for like. (Sailor Professional Gear Slim in plain black, Pilot Custom Heritage 91 in plain black, and Platinum #3776 Century ‘Black in Black’ all had MSRP of ¥10,000+tax circa early 2019, before everyone started raising their prices).

Now that I've tried a Platinum President (in plain blue), I'd say the feel-in-hand of its resin body is on par with Sailor's and Pilots (and I do have Sailor Profit Large and Professional Gear ‘Classic’ , and Pilot Custom 742 and Heritage 912, pens for like-for-like comparison, if that matters).

I haven't used my Platinum President pen enough to conclude one way or another whether where the cap screws onto the barrel is apt to cross-thread; but I haven't encountered it so far. I don't feel there is any wobble, either.

One thing I have noticed is that, while my Platinum pens from earlier production (across Izumo, #3776, Vicoh, and Balance product lines) seem to provide a more secure fit when a converter is connected, the ones from more recent production (across President, #3776, and Procyon) all seem slightly looser, not so much that I think there is any physical gap, but there's just less friction or drag when pushing the converter onto the feed (or the post around that inside the gripping section), and it's easier to pull off afterwards. Could it be that the mouths of my old converters have become distended, misshapen or compromised from repeated use? It's possible; but then, if so, it should also feel equally loose when I put those same old converters back onto my old Vicoh and Balance pens, and that is not something I observed.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

And, President models will become collector items, especially the LEs and SEs.

Have always liked the clip.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

Sorry, a bit off topic, but since the President is being phased out, do folks think Stan was also right that the new flagship will be the Izumo line? There's quite a gap in price, and most (or all?) of the Izumo line is either wood or urushi, with or without further decoration. Also, my Izumo is one of my largest and longest pens, barely fitting in some pen drawers. I like the barrel shape to hold while writing, but I find the cap unnecessarily bulbous. Or will the #3776 be the new flagship, perhaps some with upgraded materials that are not LEs. 

It will be interesting to see what develops. 

The President is indeed a bit of a relic in some respects, which was a surprise to me, as I bought a #3776 before I had a President. The nib is somewhat shorter than the #3776(odd for a flagship pen) while the pen itself is somewhat larger, the feed is the third generation Platinum style rather than the latest design that the current #3776 uses and the nib shape also seems to be a generation behind. It's like they just neglected the President after the initial design and then used the Izumo line to make new pens with that nib style instead.

Tbh I always found it lame that platinum uses president nibs for their Izumo line and leave the name on the nib. 

Also I was not impressed with the only president nib that I had tried. 

On 9/3/2021 at 4:24 AM, Paul-in-SF said:

Or will the #3776 be the new flagship, perhaps some with upgraded materials that are not LEs.

Platinum #3776 models with bodies made of briarwood, cedar, ebonite, celluloid, etc. that are not limited edition have long been available.

Platinum has a rather longish history of special and limited editions. In the recent issue of PENnant some are highlighted. Undoubtedly production will continue and, if anything, output might increase.

I think every maker has a standard lineup of pens. IMHO, a new model or design every year is needed to be relevant in the marketplace. Platinum's reconfiguring the plastic on the 3776 is a step in the right direction. I'm guessing they'll start taking a few steps outside that box with materials, pen shape, and color. Their hurdle might be availability of production equipment. 

Does the President require replacement in their lineup? Maybe not. I think the Izumo has been a success. Price point is not much more than one of the lakes series pens. Considering the low cost of a basic 3776 Platinum may have a pen at every price anyone might wish.

As the President is phased out so will the nibs. Their are Izumo with Izumo nibs. I like their design and have always thought there was something different in nibs made for higher end and LE models. For the Izumo, my guess is Platinum had more President nibs than needed for President pens and decided to use them in Izumo. Crappy way to do business. Platinum has a loyal client base in Japan so it probably didn't matter.

If Platinum was really sharp (they have been the dullest tool in the shed sometimes) they would rethink their nib designs and provide a larger nib with more choices, including MUSIC nibs, for the Izumo. They should start investing in new equipment too.

Where are Platinum pens made? Supposedly there is a factory in China. Does anyone know about this?

I have a small collection of Platinum pens and use a Kingdom Note LE Izumo daily. In interested, Platinum nibs do take some breaking in. Don't know why but, for me, that has always seemed the case. For normal writing I use their MEDIUM that is on the FINE side. I've used every one of their nibs at times. The MUSIC nibs are great. For me, the UEF don't work as I have a rather heavy hand.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2017 at 7:03 AM, gmax said:

Hello, can anyone please confirm whether nibs are interchangeable between the President and 3776 models?

Any help appreciated :)

Strangely enough, I experimented with this very question … just today! (Not pulling the nib - but unscrewing the entire section. To be clear, this large nib, pulled, would *not* fit a 3776)  Why would I do such a ridiculous thing? 

Well: hearing ten days ago that the President was discontinued , I … abjectly began to trawl the roiling seas for one, and received it yesterday (fast shipping!)  The medium nib is very pleasant to write with - a tad stiffer than I’d expected - I’d say, ’solid’,  in a good way, with a subtle bounce. But - and I’m trying to find a way of saying this without a torrent of expletives:  the build quality is poor. Far from a ‘solid’ match for the nib.  I’d duly read the critical reviews before purchase (‘plasticky … etc.) But nothing really prepared me for this.  I have two 3776’s, and two lovely, very inexpensive Balances - all have better fit and finish than the pen I received.  The cap threads are terrible - cross-threading and soft. The plastic feels really, *really* cheap. So - I (abjectly) wondered whether the nib section might fit on another body, and experimented. Yes, you can screw the entire section onto a 3776 handily, but - then neither cap will then work. (And I’m not pulling this nib myself.)  This is my first real pen-disappointment. The healthy kick in the head I may have needed: why buy … another pen?! (‘I can’t go on. I’ll go on.’)

If they make a new nib for the Izumo then my wallet will start to cry...

EDIT: I always wanted an Izumo, but the President nib seems like an inappropriate choice for the pen in terms of its design and size.

Just to add that the 3776 is a bit too small for my hand, I had to sell the Bourgogne I bought, so the President's size is perfect for me and it is also a light pen that posts well but can be used unposted....so I really like it, very-very comfortable.

Yes, the President has not the slip&seal, but never dries. Yes, the material of the body feels less substantial than other's, but mine has been extensively used and remains as new. 

I compared it some years ago with the Sailor 1911 full size and the latter lost the comparison, and was sold. I never regretted that decision.

I admit I never really liked the design of the President's nib, and I concur with some of you in that it does not fit - design wise - the Izumo line. The Izumo, for its price, should have a dedicated nib, at least the engraving.

And about the nib behaviour....The B nib in my President is amongst the 3 best in my collection. Just the perfect width, perfect flow and a bit of feedback, wonderful feeling when I write with it. Now they are phasing the pen out and I will miss it, so I think will be looking for a black-rhodium version with M nib at a good price.

On 2/7/2016 at 1:26 AM, sandy101 said:

Thank you for the pictures, jar. The Izumo is way out of my budget.

I have the Herons flying over Mt Fuju modern Make-I. It's got an 18K nib which I find slightly springy - which is a pleasure to use.

The question is - is there a significant difference between the #3776 and the President, apart form the price?

In the UK the #3776 is £99, and the President is £125.

There's lots of reviews of the #3776, and not a lot about the President - and no comparisons. From what I've read the #3776 is slightly smaller, and the medium nib is stiff. How does the President compare? I've been told the nib in the President is the same as the ones they use in the Nakaya pens, but without any information about how this nib performs, it makes a comparison difficult.

where in the uk do you get aprice of£99 for a 3776 ?  seems very cheap