M800 Tortoise Wtih Wrong Cap

Fantomet

Sadly, after winning an auction, I received a M800 Tortoise with the wrong cap. The last owner was unaware of the fact that it had the wrong cap. Which probably means that someone, without knowing it, has a a special edition brown cap on their non-tortoise M800.

I would love to have the original cap for the pen, even though it seems the original color is very close to black, if not put under a bright light, like here:

post-8836-0-57442900-1454735036_thumb.jpg

If anybody can help me with find a brown cap for the 2013 version of this pen, I would be very grateful. It should have the new gold Pelikan logo. Thanks.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fantomet

• sargetalon

• dfo

• jkingrph

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How close is the color of the cap to the burned orange model? You might be able to score one from Pelikan customer service.

Edited by dfo

Daniel

The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned.

Gramsci

How close is the color of the cap to the burned orange model? You might be able to score one from Pelikan customer service.

Wow, thank you so much, I did not think of this possibility. :) The color of the M800 Burnt Orange really looks close, if not identical. Its similarity is confirmed in this review, even though you can not see it in the pictures:

http://thepelikansperch.com/2016/01/16/pelikan-m800-burnt-orange-review/

m800burntorange8.jpg

The Burnt Orange M800's cap color is more visible here on the Pelikan web site:

http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US_INTL.FWI.displayShop.206148./souveraen-800-burnt-orange

http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/__v146/vfs-public/exclusive/products/souveraen/souveraen-800-burnt-orange/souveraen-800-burnt-orange-detail-02.jpg

Edited by Fantomet

Perhaps write to Chartpak. If they agree to help, it'll cost you a bit but it may be worth it to you. I don't know of any brown caps alone out on the market right now for sale. Good luck getting it sorted out.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Perhaps write to Chartpak. If they agree to help, it'll cost you a bit but it may be worth it to you. I don't know of any brown caps alone out on the market right now for sale. Good luck getting it sorted out.

Thanks for the advice. I have written to Chartpak to hear if they can help.

Very nice blog by the way!

Thanks for the advice. I have written to Chartpak to hear if they can help.

Very nice blog by the way!

Good luck and thanks!

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

The picture you posted of the three pens does not show the difference. Honestly alone and in most light my brown tortoise and burnt orange pens appear to have black caps. Only in bright light and next to a truly black do they appear brown.

Regards

Jeff

The picture you posted of the three pens does not show the difference. Honestly alone and in most light my brown tortoise and burnt orange pens appear to have black caps. Only in bright light and next to a truly black do they appear brown.

I agree that the picture over from Joshua's blog does not show any difference, which also was my point. The color is so dark that you need good light and a reference to notice. This picture from another thread on this site, might be more illustrative (the middle one is the Tortoise from 2013:

DSC_0882.2.jpg

You really have to over expose a photo to get the brown to show. Not easily photographed.

What about returning the pen and buying another. Whether the vendor knew or not is immaterial. You can't sell or trade it as it is.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

What about returning the pen and buying another. Whether the vendor knew or not is immaterial. You can't sell or trade it as it is.

True, but the pen was bought from a e-bay seller. I had already given feedback, ok-ing the trade, before finding out that it was not supposed to have this cap (the seller repeatedly disputed that the pen originally should have a brown cap, and said it most likely came with the black cap from the factory). Like you say, I of course would never sell or trade it like this, without informing clearly about the mismatch to a potential buyer.

Edited by Fantomet

Regina Martini has this: http://www.martiniauctions.com/item/id/Pelikan_M800_SPANISH_TORTOISE_cap_BROWN_30831.html but it's overpriced considerably IMO.

Thanks, a lot! Yes, that looks relevant (and expensive). I think this cap is for the 1991 version of this pen though, the only difference being the Pelikan logo on the top.

Edited by Fantomet

• 2 weeks later...

So I was able to get hold of the right cap for my M800 Tortoise. Turns out the R800 Tortoise (as well as the Burnt Orange) has the exact same cap :D

post-8836-0-22083600-1455895535_thumb.jpg

wrong place.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

So I was able to get hold of the right cap for my M800 Tortoise. Turns out the R800 Tortoise (as well as the Burnt Orange) has the exact same cap :D

attachicon.gifDSC00034.jpg

I am glad everything worked out well.

Daniel

The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned.

Gramsci