Pens That You Think Are Priced Wrongly

windibd

Parker makes those "Jotter" ballpoint pens that sell for $7, not a luxury brand like Montblanc. (Not that there's anything wrong with those $7 pens, they're a pretty classic design.)

So, what's your point? Parker made a lot of fountain pens - a lot!

Sorry but you are wrong. MB is not the only brand that the average person recognizes. It is likely not even in the top three.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dogpoet

• TSherbs

• Cryptos

• LionRoar

So, what's your point? Parker made a lot of fountain pens - a lot!

Sorry but you are wrong. MB is not the only brand that the average person recognizes. It is likely not even in the top three.

It's possibly not the only brand that somebody who knows little or nothing about pens could name, with some thought. (Though I doubt that the average brand name fetishist chav has even heard of Parker or Sheaffer, but conceding that point speeds up getting to the next point below.)

MB is the pen brand that's most aggressively established itself as a prestige brand to be bought by people who fancy themselves as a bit swish, rather than as a manufacturer of high end working pens. Just look at the failure to rebrand Waterman in those terms their current owners have experienced. For a certain sort of upper level business executive, MB might as well be the only pen manufacturer in existence, and for a certain sort of noveau riche idiot, they are the only brand in existence. Sorry.

MB is the pen brand that's most aggressively established itself as a prestige brand to be bought by people who fancy themselves as a bit swish, rather than as a manufacturer of high end working pens. Just look at the failure to rebrand Waterman in those terms their current owners have experienced. For a certain sort of upper level business executive, MB might as well be the only pen manufacturer in existence, and for a certain sort of noveau riche idiot, they are the only brand in existence. Sorry.

Exactly my point. Thank you.

Yes, people recognize the $7 Parker Jotter ballpoint pens, they are pretty common, and not a bad design at all, very classic, well worth $7 if you want a ballpoint pen, but definitely not associated with extreme prestige like Montblanc.

And the more second-level point I was making is that an expensive pen that's not MB doesn't impress anyone but yourself (except in the very very unlikely case another pen enthusiast happens to see you using it).

One could find a third-level ironic point about it being stupid that people are impressed because they see you with a $1000 pen which doesn't necessarily work any better as a pen than one for 1/20 the price.

Edited by LionRoar

One could find a third-level ironic point about it being stupid that people are impressed because they see you with a $1000 pen which doesn't necessarily work any better as a pen than one for 1/20 the price.

Most of the time, if someone actually notices that I'm using a fountain pen, it will be one of my Noodler's Konrads. Which run $20-$40 US, depending on whether it's one of the resin ones or the ebonite one.

I think one time someone noticed a different pen -- it's the vintage Vac Junior Red Shadow Wave, and it was when I was signing the co-pay credit card receipt at my allergist's office. And frankly, it *is* noticeable, because it's such a gorgeous color. But frankly, in this day and age, it's unusual for anyone to even notice that I'm *not* using a BP. Let alone an "expensive" pen. Well, okay, my brother-in-law's wife might, because she's *extremely* materialistic and status-conscious. And was vastly disappointed when I was less than overwhelmed by the two "old" (1960s-1970s) Sheaffers (one with a totally borked nib) that she found in a desk drawer last fall (the one with the borked nib was a No Nonsense, I think; the other one *might* have been a Targa, but I don't know enough about Sheaffers). *She* would have been impressed by a MB. Me? Not so much....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Exactly my point. Thank you.

It was exactly NOT your point, sorry. You said, and this is a direct quote (emphasis added by EoC).

MB is the only pen brand that the average person recognizes.

That's another reason why pens are overpriced, because you're not even getting the benefit of having the average person notice that you are using an expensive pen (unless you buy MB in which case you do get recognition for owning expensive stuff).

If you're going to argue at least make sure you are consistent. :)

Dogpoet though, with whom you agree, said this:

It's possibly not the only brand that somebody who knows little or nothing about pens could name, with some thought. (Though I doubt that the average brand name fetishist chav has even heard of Parker or Sheaffer, but conceding that point speeds up getting to the next point below.)

None of the people emphasised here are what LionRoar refers to as "average people".

I would suggest you try a little social survey of your own. Stand on a street corner and ask 100 random people to name a fountain pen brand. And try not to pick all the businessmen in cashmere coats. :D

MB is the pen brand that's most aggressively established itself as a prestige brand to be bought by people who fancy themselves as a bit swish, rather than as a manufacturer of high end working pens. ..

What does "swish" mean?

What does "swish" mean?

y'naaa...a bit fancy, like. Kinda posh. Like them Rolexeseses and stuff.

"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes."

Does anyone feel that some pens aren't worth their price? I own a matte black Vanishing Point and I'm waiting for a piano black Dialog 3 in the mail, and they both are superb pens, but I don't feel that their prices match what I get. The Vanishing Point feels much too utilitarian to be over $100, and I think that the Dialog should only cost $200 max - enough to factor in the beautiful design but also not too high to be unreasonable. On the other hand, the Safari family of pens (or the majority of their swappable-nib pens, really) offers just enough to be worth the $25 threshold with practical nibs and robust bodies.

Am I alone on this? What other pens do you feel aren't worth their price? I'm aware that expensive pens are less popular than their counterparts and so the QC tends to be poorer. What do you think?

Not me pal.....Have you received your Lamy Dialog 3 in Piano Black {Overpriced of course in What pens you waitin' for.....Op,when you get back here}.....As far as I'm

concerned you are alone. What others...hmm.....None. I was not aware of this.

Nothin'................Fascinatin'.....And..Op..Welcome Aboard. Enjoy your time here.

Fred

Wanna blend a fresh bass into a smoothie?

Then get that new amazin' kitchen tool made by Ronco.

The Super Bass-O-Matic '76 as in OP Sail. To use.....

Catch a bass remove the hook and place in your Super-Bass-O-Matic '76.

Yes! It's just that simple.....To place an order send check or money order

to PIER 25, New York, NY...........................

so, this has become a "Let's impugn Montblanc" thread?

I guess... The thing is, everything I've read and seen has indicated that Montblanc does, for the most part, make truly excellent, well-made, and solid writing pens. Whether their high quality justifies their high price (especially relative to other brands that offer similar quality pens) is a separate issue. I mean, if you look at cars, the various luxury brands are often no better in quality or even materials than the higher-end models of "normal" brands (many owned by the same parent company) loaded with every option in the book (i.e. Toyota vs. Lexus, Honda vs. Acura, etc.). However, sometimes just something about having that brand, whether it's the ability to brag about, "Hey, I drive a Lexus," the nicer experience of shopping for said brand at its dealerships vs. those of "normal" brands, or so on, makes the mark-up worth while.

Some people think it's worth paying the extra for a fancy brand car or pen. Some are perfectly satisfied with a fully-loaded standard brand. And others try to split the difference by buying the fancy brand, but buying it used from a reliable seller.

Edited by Dragonmaster Lou

Nope, just impugning people who buy from mont blanc purely for the brand name, rather than for the pens.

[...]

Some people think it's worth paying the extra for a fancy brand car or pen. Some are perfectly satisfied with a fully-loaded standard brand. And others try to split the difference by buying the fancy brand, but buying it used from a reliable seller.

[...]

An excellent answer to the thread's original question.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Nope, just impugning people who buy from mont blanc purely for the brand name, rather than for the pens.

Why impugn anyone for their purchasing motivations (unless, perhaps, they are criminal motivations)? In a consumerist society, we are all subject to mixed motives. I dare say that you have some self-serving pride in some of your possessions. I don't know how anyone could be entirely free of this. For example, I tend to tout my frugality. I have a strong Yankee pride in this (to a fault at times). I am more likely to "flaunt" my Baoer 388.

Thank god for people who are willing to pay extra for design, style, artistic flair, what-have-you. Life would be exceedingly dull if the only choices we had were those that met the approval of grim, joyless, utility-maximizing people.

I cant see myself springing $10k on a MB LE pen or $200k on a Patek grand complication, but it pleases me greatly to see them exist. Nor do i feel the need to get on a soapbox and try to put down some brand/models.

YMMV, and it does, obviously.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Glad to know that got sorted without being judgemental or resorting to chilidsh stereotypes that sound more like sour grapes than anything else.

Glad to know that got sorted without being judgemental or resorting to chilidsh stereotypes that sound more like sour grapes than anything else.

I find such things interesting. Long long ago and in a land far far away it was said that people would buy just the cap from a Parker or Sheaffer White dot pen to put in their pockets since the arrow clip and white dot were so universally recognized. The cap from a Simplo-Filler though would carry no social significance.

I find such things interesting. Long long ago and in a land far far away it was said that people would buy just the cap from a Parker or Sheaffer White dot pen to put in their pockets since the arrow clip and white dot were so universally recognized. The cap from a Simplo-Filler though would carry no social significance.

Different times, I guess. These days, pens - and watches - are mostly invisible to the general public.

Personally, I wait in bated breath for the day some attractive woman is going to sashay up to me and in a seductive voice go "is that a Montblanc in your pocket" and, upon my affirmative response, leap upon me in a flurry of discarded clothes. Sadly, it hasnt happened.

I know quite a few corporate types who own MB. They buy a MB simply b/c they know the brand, boutiques are nearly everywhere and it is a brand they know. When I was a young consultant and wanted to dress professionally, i just went to a boutique with an Italian name on it and bought a suit there - not because i wanted to show off, but because i just wanted to get something good, professional and safe. Same thing with pens: a MB is just a 'safe' accessory.

People who want to show off buy a Porsche or AMG - not a freaking pen.

Since we are talking broad generalizations here, I think a large majority of the "those MB guys are just showing off" is a reflection of the insecurities of people making those statements: be it a way of justifying not spending that kind of money, or affirming their sophistication, or trying to take a "look at me, i am different from the herd" stance.

To quote the great sage, Captain Haddock: the dogs bark, and the camels pass.

I, personally, was only providing the honest observation that the average person in the United State (that is someone who doesn't ever visit this forum, which is 99.99% of the people) only recognizes Montblanc as a prestigious pen brand.

In one sense, ALL fountain pens that cost more than Pilot Metropolitans are just overpriced Pilot Metropolitans, not providing any greater objective functionality as a pen.

Montblanc has taken this to more of an extreme than all other pen manufacturers, investing significantly in marketing itself as a super-luxury brand, and then adding the cost of all of that expensive marketing into the pens. Although at least to Montblanc's credit, every pen is actually written with by a QA tester before being put into a box, so you are getting some quality control that surely you don't get with a Pilot Metropolitan. Probably not worth $500+ for that.

If your goal in buying an expensive fountain pen is to be noticed as someone who has good tastes in pens or something like that, then Montblanc will objectively accomplish that goal a lot better than spending the same amount of money on a Pelikan or Namiki or some other brand selling very expensive pens that the average person is likely to mistake for a $25 pen (in other words nice, but nothing special like a Montblanc).

I would recommend the Montblanc Classique, which is the least expensive Montblanc fountain pen, but it's unlikely that the 99.99% who don't frequent this forum would be aware of its place on the Montblanc pecking order, and you would get just as much social credit as using the twice as expensive 149 pen.

Edited by LionRoar