Franklin Christoph Nibs

Angel91

Do you know who makes FC's standard nibs? Are they noticeably better than the ubiquitous Jowo and Schmidt nibs found on so many pens these days?

They are, afik, Jowo nibs. I have a Masuyama memdium stub and as far as nib characteristics go, it is practically identical to the Jowo Edison nibs that I have.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Angel91

• sarahfar

• GardenWeasel

• Cryptos

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are Jowo nib units. All Franklin-Christoph nibs are tested prior to shipping, not just the Masuyama nibs. The nib units screw right in and work with Edison and Newton pens.

If you need to write very quickly, say you're taking notes in a meeting, then it will be harder to to that with a stub as opposed to a plain medium nib. If you have to put annotations where you have little space, then a needlepoint will do the trick. Franklin-Christoph have a returns policy that I used when I realized I wanted a full-size pen rather than a pocket. You could order a pen with a medium nib plus a stub nib, then return the nib that you like least. You'd have to pay for shipping of the nib back to them, but that way you get to try a couple of nibs. I have a Panther 40 and Marietta 20. I love them both. The Marietta is particularly ergonomic. I have medium and broad nibs, which I sometimes swap between the 40 and 20 depending on my ink choice. They are both lovely and smooth and I don't feel like I missed out by buying the steel nibs rather than gold. Good luck.

I have a medium italic on my FC pen but I am finding it a little on the dry side with Pilot ink. I did just fill the pen without cleaning it out though, so perhaps that could account for it?

I've never used Pilot's standard inks, but my broad Masuyama italic has been on the dry side from the start.

I am not privy to Michael's or FC's thinking about the Italic Masuyama nibs, but, in general, to optimize thick/thin line difference, you want a dryish nib. Michael knows what he is doing, to say the least. If the nibs are dry (and they are) it is intentional and for a good reason. I would presume it is because they expect italic nibs just might be used to write italic text.

David

Mine is for italic-style writing - I wouldn't presume to be able to actually write a decent italic hand. The ink I am using is Iroshizuku Shin-kai.

Also, as it is a demonstrator I notice that ink pools in the section. I guess that's normal but we just don't see it on standard pens?

Ah, now I've watched the video on the F-C website. I didn't realise that I had to grease the nib unit as well. No wonder the ink has got everywhere. What a loon I am! :rolleyes:

The standard EF is nice. Only slightly finer than the fine, but still smooth. I would think it could hold up to writing on any paper for your corrections.

And the cost is so low - buy two steel nibs and have some variety.

I just picked up a standard (un-customized) EF nib at the Chicago Pen Show, and used it at work last week (i.e. on cheap paper) - worked like a champ. Not as fine as I though "EF" would mean, but I'm still learning.

It was a replacement for the M nib in my (Paradise Pens) Padrino Trend, I needed something finer. Great customer service at the F-C booth, as others have said.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/CraigS63/pens/P5070259_zpsfsc3dqgt.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have the steel fine italic nib and love it. However, I had the advantage of fine-tuning the nib and customizing it to my writing style at a local pen show.