Lamy Or Twsbi Stub Nib?

atc729

Hello fellow fountain pen users! I'm wanting to get a 1.1 stub nib. I currently have a Lamy Al-Star and a TWSBI Vac 700. I know I can buy stub nibs for them, but which is better? Do any of you have any experience with either of these stub nibs? I was also thinking about just getting a TWSBI Eco with a 1.1 stub because it's only a couple dollars more than getting the nib unit for the Vac 700. Any thoughts might help me to make a better informed decision. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• atc729

• jabberwock11

• Randal6393

• Drone

Hmmmm ... Well, I prefer the TWSBI stub nibs. Think I would buy an Eco with stub AND a new stub for the Vac 700.Would eventually get a stub for the Lamy as well. But, that's just me.

Best of luck,

PS: The TWSBI have generally worked out better for me than the Lamys, but both do give a satisfactory performance.

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

I have both Lamy and TWSBI stub nibs. I have a Lamy Safari with a stub, a TWSBI Eco with a stub, and a TWSBI Mini Classic with a stub. I prefer the TWSBI stubs to the Lamy stubs. The TWSBI nibs are smoother and more crisp, but they can start off a bit dry, so some adjustment may be necessary. The Lamy stubs are not bad (and are far less expensive), but the performance just does not measure up.

As far as getting an Eco vs. getting a replacement nib for your Vac 700, the Eco is a good pen, but if you like your Vac 700 I would just get a replacement nib.

Edited by jabberwock11

I went with the Eco. Might end up with all of them by the time it's over...but is it really ever over?

No. It is not. I got into dip pens because I'm a history nut and because I can have ALL THE INKS! Without having to buy ALL THE PENS!

Yeah, but you will wind up like the Kentucky Colonel, "What I missed one?"

It seems one can never have enough pens. Some gad-awful quantity of fountain pens, ten or so dip pens, and I still signed my passport application with a ball-point pen. Well, the agent handed it to me and I signed before I thought about it.

Oh, well, enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

The TWSBI stub is not as sharp as the Lamy, and I think much nicer for everyday writing.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

The TWSBI stub is not as sharp as the Lamy, and I think much nicer for everyday writing.

That's what I have been gathering. I'm glad I went with the TWSBI. Even non-fountain pen users that I have let use the pen said it was really smooth and they liked it. It's a good pen to lure people to the Light Side. Not to mention it makes my handwriting look awesome!

How does the TWSBI 1.1 stub compare in wetness to the Lamy's? I like the Lamy 1.1, but I do find it a bit dry sometimes.

I have two LAMY Safaris with 1.9mm nibs each, an ECO with a 1.1 (love it) for daily writing and I also have two nibs, 1.1 and 1.5 for a TWSBI mini; daily writing also.

Of all these I like the ECO 1.1mm (*) over the others and the 1.1mm TWSBI second. -- I use the Lamys for practicing Italic and fancy letter doodling when I am in the mood. They are a blast!.

I haven't tried any other TWSBIs so I cannot speak for the rest. The 1.9 LAMYs are WET!

* The ECO 1.mm is sharper than the mini 1.1mm.

I may buy another 1.1mm ECO just in case I loose or damage it.

For some current stub options and suggestions see my Reply Post #2 in this thread:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/304567-line-variation/?do=findComment&comment=3568647

I have Lamy and TWSBI stubs (multiple pens and nib types). I consider the current TWSBI stubs to be superior to the Lamy stubs. I think the current TWSBI nibs are made by Jowo in Germany, previously TWSBI used German made Bock nibs, but supposedly there were some problems with that brand. My problem is that I always write posted and TWSBI still doesn't make a pen that posts properly. The TWSBI Eco was the last hope for TWSBI to make a truly postable pen, but alas they failed (in my case anyway). The caps on my TWSBI Ecos pop off all the time.

Edited by Drone

For some current stub options and suggestions see my Reply Post #2 in this thread:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/304567-line-variation/?do=findComment&comment=3568647

I have Lamy and TWSBI stubs (multiple pens and nib types). I consider the current TWSBI stubs to be superior to the Lamy stubs. I think the current TWSBI nibs are made by Jowo in Germany, previously TWSBI used German made Bock nibs, but supposedly there were some problems with that brand. My problem is that I always write posted and TWSBI still doesn't make a pen that posts properly. The TWSBI Eco was the last hope for TWSBI to make a truly postable pen, but alas they failed (in my case anyway). The caps on my TWSBI Ecos pop off all the time.

You don't like the way the TWSBI Mini posts? Other than having to occasionally fool with it to make sure that the clip lines up with the nib, I have never had issues with posting my Mini Classic.

You don't like the way the TWSBI Mini posts? Other than having to occasionally fool with it to make sure that the clip lines up with the nib, I have never had issues with posting my Mini Classic.

@jabberwock11,

You got me on that one! I don't own, nor have I tried a TWSBI Mini pen. I have little interest in small pens, although I do have a modern Kaweco Sport and some unique vintage small-pen examples. When thinking about what you said, I can understand your point. A smaller TWSBI pen may be more balanced in the hand when posted compared with a full-size TWSBI pen.

With the exception of the Eco, I find all current full-sized TWSBI pens are "tolerable" when posted, but not for comfortable sustained writing.

The Eco could be fixed by finding a way to relieve pressure build-up in the cap when posted. A task which sounds simple, but in-practice isn't. It is a classic pen-design problem: Relieving cap pressure when posted without exposing the cap to outside air when capped (which causes nib dry-out). The solution is manifold, deep posting for more friction, having a cap liner, and providing enough cap air volume when posted is the solution. The ECO doesn't post deep enough and the rubber filler knob O-ring "seals" its fate as a bad poster. If only TWSBI had done a prototype field trial using experienced fountain pen users before going to manufacture with the Eco. So close - yet so far...

The Mini is about a half inch taller than the Kaweco Sport (capped, uncapped, or posted) and also has a bit more heft and bulk to it, so if you are OK with the Sport then you may actually like the Mini. The cap posts by threading onto the back, so there is no issue with possible slippage and it is pretty well balanced as well. I agree that the Eco is not a very good poster (way too long, unbalanced, etc.), but the Mini does not suffer from this same problem.

The piston fill system gives the Mini more ink volume than most "mini" pens, the Classic version gives it a slightly more professional look, and the excellent 1.1 nib tops it all off. I don't care for mini fountain pens either (I dislike the Esterbrook SJ, really dislike the Cult Pens Mini FP, and I find the Kaweco Sport to be underwhelming at best), but the TWSBI Mini Classic is one of my favorite pens.

How does the TWSBI 1.1 stub compare in wetness to the Lamy's? I like the Lamy 1.1, but I do find it a bit dry sometimes.

I haven't used a Lamy 1.1, but the TWSBI is like writing with a marker almost. I have Noodler's X-Feather in it right now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have solid 18k Watermans and Parkers, a Montblanc Heritage 1914, a Namiki Emperor, and a couple of Nakayas, but the Eco 1.1 Stub feels great and is just fun to write with.

"Ain't that a hoot!" as we say 'round these parts.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.