Old Manuscript Looking Sepia Ink Suggestions

ArchiMark

Just read through the Inky TOD Brown ink thread......

Lots of beautiful brown inks.....

However, not sure if any of those are similar to the old manuscript writings one sees as in Da Vinci's journals, etc. See image below.

Anyone have any suggestions for an old time look sepia brown ink such as this?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Mark

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/codex-atlanticus-page_zps0a0ebqqw.jpg

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ArchiMark

• Biber

• webgeckos

• AndyYNWA

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, of course.....

My question is what fountain pen ink available today would be similar color to this type of ink look?

Thanks.

Just read through the Inky TOD Brown ink thread......

Lots of beautiful brown inks.....

However, not sure if any of those are similar to the old manuscript writings one sees as in Da Vinci's journals, etc. See image below.

Anyone have any suggestions for an old time look sepia brown ink such as this?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Mark

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/codex-atlanticus-page_zps0a0ebqqw.jpg

There is a briste ink, not for fountain pens, that was made according to ink formulas and methods of the middle ages. It is a drawing ink. It was made by Studio Products in New England, but I think they stopped selling the bulk of their rare artists materials etc.

Walnut ink is commonly available (check out Daniel Smiths or Cheap Joes.)

My first thought was walnut ink too, but if there's a fountain pen ink of equivalent colour, I'd love to hear of it.

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

Yes, of course.....

My question is what fountain pen ink available today would be similar color to this type of ink look?

Thanks.

What about Stipula's Sepia? It you want to match that drawing exactly maybe add a bit of black to it?

Thanks for the suggestion about Stipula Sepia. Have never used or seen Stipiua inks....will check it out....

Again, to clarify for everyone, I'm looking for readily available fountain pen inks only.

My reference to the old drawing and text is for color reference only. Just wondered if I can get that kind of look in a modern ink.

Thanks.

The below has Stiula's Calamo (Sepia) ink. I think it might be what you are looking for. Its a fountain pen ink. I bought it wat Anderson's for $25 a bottle (huge 70 ml/2.3 ounce bottle.)

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm186/webgecko1webgeckos/bistre%20and%20sepia_zpskwazjlqf.png

The new De Atramentis Sepia Brown seems to be quite close to what you are looking for. I received a bottle last week, but haven't been able to try it yet (only some quick strokes with a stick I had laying around).

I will post a picture as soon as I have inked up one of my pens.

Edited by AndyYNWA

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

We have the FPN exclusive Noodlers Galileo Manuscript, though not sure of the color as I don't own it as yet.

Best regards.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

How about Diamine Macassar, with a fine nib? Sorry but I haven't a scan of it at present.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

We have the FPN exclusive Noodlers Galileo Manuscript, though not sure of the color as I don't own it as yet.

Best regards.

I have it and I'd say it is perfect. Buy it NOW, before it's gone again....

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thank you all for the great input and suggestions. Very helpful!

Special thanks to webgeckos for the sample and scan....always nice to see a picture of the ink...

And if AndyYNWA can post a pic of a De Atramentis Sepia Brown writing sample that would be great too!

:thumbup:

Mark

Caran D'asche Grand canyon probably would be the best match, with R&K Sepia a close second. I'd also suggest my own home brew of Diamine Golden brown with a touch of Lamy black which would be closer than the RK Sepia.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Caran D'asche Grand canyon probably would be the best match, with R&K Sepia a close second. I'd also suggest my own home brew of Diamine Golden brown with a touch of Lamy black which would be closer than the RK Sepia.

Thanks for your suggestions, Biber......will take a look at Grand Canyon and Sepia.....

Prout's Brown, perhaps?

http://i.imgur.com/spKXwOm.jpg

Detail of an artwork in Prout's Brown by Wendy Tate:

http://i.imgur.com/EVaAQ2b.jpg

Thanks for your input, Goudy......nice scans and artwork.....

Prout's Brown seems like it has that old time look to it....the other ink is a nice color, but seems like a much brighter golden color....

Yes, that Prout's brown looks great and seems to fit the bill. I don't think it's agreeable to fountain pens though.

Best wishes and good luck on your quest. Finding THE sepia (bistre, actually) is a near impossible quest, especially one suitable for fountain pens. I've been searching for years. I've come close a few times but I'm still searching.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Thanks for the suggestion about Stipula Sepia. Have never used or seen Stipiua inks....will check it out....

Again, to clarify for everyone, I'm looking for readily available fountain pen inks only.

My reference to the old drawing and text is for color reference only. Just wondered if I can get that kind of look in a modern ink.

Thanks.

This is a color I want, too.

Noodler's 41 Brown, De Atramentis Black-Brown, Iroshizuku Yama-Guri?

Possibly also J Herbin Cafe des Isles.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Hakase makes two Authentick sepias, a light and a dark. Very expensive, and the wait is long:

http://fp-hakase.com/sepia-ink.html

R&K Sepia and J. Herbin Cacao de Brésil are favorites of mine among the readily available inks.

I'd like to try mixing Cacao de Brésil and Lie de Thé to strike a balance between a gray brown and a red brown.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.