Platignum Pressmatic 'm' - A Surprising Bargain!

DKR

I went for a wander into one of our local fleamarkets yesterday and am very glad I did; I found a couple of very nice bargains. Apart from a surprising Senator Steno (posted in the German regional forum) with a fabulous fine flex nib (£5), I came across this Platignum Pressmatic "M" in great condition with it's iridium-tipped 14CT gold riband it's original case for a meagre £4 (about US$6, I think). It writes very smoothly and I'm very happy with it.

Although the reputation of Platignum may still be far from the Parkers and Shaeffers of the same era, this pen has a really very nice nib and has quite a stylish look, with the cap jewel matching the barrel, and the barrel jewel matching the cap. It really doesn't feel or look like the cheap brand we think of when we think of 1960s/70s Platignum.

Anyway, I was so chuffed with picking these up for such a bargain price, I had to share!

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww57/Parsnips_from_Beyond_the_Stars/Pressmatic-1.jpg

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww57/Parsnips_from_Beyond_the_Stars/Pressmatic-2.jpg

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww57/Parsnips_from_Beyond_the_Stars/Pressmatic-5.jpg

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww57/Parsnips_from_Beyond_the_Stars/Pressmatic-4.jpg

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww57/Parsnips_from_Beyond_the_Stars/Pressmatic-3.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulS

• DKR

• mallymal1

• northlodge

Congrats!

I found a similar pen a long while back:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/91280-platignum-pen/

I think they're good, underrated pens, and I'm especially pleased to find one with an aerometric filler since I only have one cartridge to share between my other Platignums. The new Platignum cartridges just don't fit old Platignum pens.

Nice find. You might try Cross cartridges for your Platignums; worked in mine, but in fairness I only have a sample of one.

• 7 months later...

These pens are being sold on ebay for between £40 and £60. Either you got a bargain or these sellers are very optimitimistic.

Ebay sellers with no knowledge of pens.

These pens are being sold on ebay for between £40 and £60. Either you got a bargain or these sellers are very optimitimistic.

Very, very opimistic.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd agree certainly one of the better Platignums - I seem to have picked up five although only one has the chalk marks still. I could be very wrong, but this model looks to come in two varieties ... one with a plastic top jewel and chrome jewel at the bottom of the barrel............ and another form where the cap jewel is chrome and the bottom of the barrel is rounded like a P51............ does that sound right?

If the chalk marks are present they will show "M" for a medium nib- but there doesn't look to have been any effort to show the nib width on the feed, and of the five I have four are medium and one is broad. They all appear to have the U shaped steel filler, not quite the full aerometric design - it appears identical to the filler used by Parker on their cheaper 51 'Special' ........ maybe just enough difference to get around Parker's patent, assuming it was patented at Janesville.

sorry - meant to add....... I've bought them on ebay at a lot less than £40 - usually because sellers aren't aware that they're selling a Pressmatic:)