Green Inks, Best For Everyday Use? You Favorites? Unique Or Fun Ones?

dragonmanus

Just received a transparent Jinhao 599 green demonstrator and looking for ideas or suggestions for green inks to try before selecting it's permanent filling partner. Wondered what green inks users here would suggest. What were their favorites? Ones they had the most fun with or ones that work well for everyday use without feathering and bleed through. I'd appreciate sample writing or even swabs in the inks you're discussing and a bit of feedback on why you suggest the ink, who made it, and what it cost you.

So far I have no green inks except Emerald of Chivor, which doesn't really shine in medium pens or those that aren't especially wet. So looking for options. Any input and suggestions are welcomed and Thanks in advance for any help.

post-127398-0-97327900-1453777328.jpg

Looking for a good ink to fill this beauty.

Currently Considering:

J Herbin apple green scented ink. For fun and the scented aspect.

Lamy Lime green cheap and fun.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• tonybelding

• Manalto

• KKay

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, if you're trying to match the pen color, I don't have a good suggestion. But my favorite green ink is Diamine Emerald.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Check this out:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/279433-inky-t-o-d-color-swatches-green-please-post-your-pictures-and-tell-us-your-thoughts/

Personally I don't like greens with a lot of blue tint, so I prefer:

Montblanc Irish Green, Kaweco Palmen Grun, KWZI Green #3, Akkerman Hofkwartier Groen, Private Reserve Avocado, Sailor Kobe Suzuran Green.

Of course there are many muddy-green lovers on this forum! If you like that too then R&K Alt-goldgrun, Montblanc Defoe, Sailor Tokiwa-matsu, Sailor Tanna japonensis, Standardgraph Schilfgrun... and many more.

If your "Lamy Lime Green" means Neon Lime, please know that it's a fluorescent ink that's very very light and almost invisible in normal writing.

I'll second Akkerman Hofkwartier Groen and add Noodler's Gruene Cactus Eel.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I like PR Sherwood green. I had it in a Pilot Metro M nib (so, not particularly broad or wet), and it was a rich, happy green with a red sheen to it. As I got to the end of the fill, the red sheen got quite striking and the green became darker and richer.

My green of choice is Diamine Sherwood. It dries to a medium green, just a bit darker than a Kelly green. It's quite well behaved, fairly fade-resistant, and doesn't feather significantly on the cheap pulpy all-purpose paper I buy out of cheapness. It is dark enough to be highly legible, and bright enough to be very clearly green and not something else, even from fine nibs, and it isn't so bright as to make a full page hard to read, which a green like the body of your Jinhao 599 would be.

Green is one of my Six Essential Colors, the color families I regard as entirely suitable for everyday use. The Essentials are clearly specific colors, have enough contrast to be easily read, aren't so bright as to fatigue the eyes, well-behaved, and have a decent amount of fade resistance. These colors, and my choices for them are (thus far):

• Black: Noodler's Heart of Darkness for bulletproofness, and either Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black or J. Herbin Perle Noire for pens I might worry about filling with a high-maintenance ink.
  • Blue-Black: I haven't decided yet between Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo (Moonlight, actually based on the color of a moonlit sky) or Pilot Blue-Black. It's not much of a priority for me, especially if I can mix Noodler's Blue or VMail Midway Blue with just a little bit of Bad Black Mocassin to make something suitable, and have no real, great affection for blue-black anyways. I intend to have a purple and my brown before I buy samples of these.
  • Purple: I am running a fade test to compare De Atramentis Aubergine, Diamine Damson, Noodler's Purple Martin, and Noodler's Violet. Waterman Tender Purple is much too bright, and also has less fade resistance than any other fountain pen ink I own.
  • Blue: Noodler's Blue or Blue Eel.
  • Green: Diamine Sherwood.
  • Brown: Iroshizuku Yama-Guri (Wild Chestnut). Someday, either when I have $25 to blow or when I am low on Noodler's Red-Black, I will have this ink.

I also think it's proper to have colors for markup. These can be any eye-searing color, but should be darker than a highlighter, with enough contrast to be easily legible in small doses. I currently am using Noodler's Widow Maker (too dark to be ideal for the purpose, but bright enough to work) and Sheaffer Skrip Turquoise. But most reds, turquoises, oranges, some darker pinks, some brighter greens, and perhaps magentas and fuchsias ought to work for markup and editing. Not only can they be much brighter than my Essentials, but they also need not be anywhere near so lightfast.

I see my own penpals have already given you great inky advice.

I can tell you that if you buy BungBox Luminance it looks just like that pen, and the next runner up is Dragon Catfish Green. My advice on those two neon greens is buy a sample of DCG (unless you live next to the BungBox store) and you will never finish the sample.

If you like wet inks that shimmer, then Diamine Magic Forest. If you need it a little more yellow or a little darker then add Diamine Meadow or Sherwood respectively.

I love my Akkerman Greens (I think they are Diamine inks) and I really do enjoy Noodler's eel Green, Green Marine and V-Mail Green.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

My list of the greens inks that I use:

- Waterman green. a medium green. kind of a blueish green, ink color/shade depends on the pen (from a medium green to a dark green)

- Diamine Sherwood Green. a darker green. This ink is saturated enough that it gives me clogging trouble in some pens.

- Diamine Ultra Green. a bright green

- Noodler's Gruene Cactus. a bright green. I have this in my TWSBI Eco, and it is neat to watch it in the pen.

- Noodler's Forest Green. a medium green

I have a bunch more greens that I have not tried yet.

The Noodlers's green are wet inks, so they may feather if your pen is wet, depending on the paper.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I rather like (remembering it's all personal preference) but I rather like J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage (wild sage)

+1

Yes - Diamine Kelly Green would be a good match.

Too light for my tast though - I prefer Diamine Woodland Green - with a twist; I ad 2 ml of Jet Black to a 30 ml bottle of Woodland Green to get it a bit darker and with more shading.

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

I like the bright "Springlike" Akkerman Hofkwartier Green & Bung Box HAPPINESS, subdued J. Herbin Vert Empire & Vert Pre, Diamine's Racing Green from The Missing Pen, The Murky greens from Noodlers, Roher & Klingner, Sailor including Bung Box & Kobe BUT I think I like Stipula's Verde Muschiato best of all. I has refilled a pen since it has arrived & as much as I am enjoying Diamine's WAGNER in another pen I cannot ever imagine changing the ink in the pen with Verde Muschiato.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Green/2014-Ink_204.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Green/28-Akkerman.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/2014-Ink_2288.jpg