Found A 149 In My House- Fake? Date? Rust?

william2001

Hello,

My grandfather was a fountain pen person, so there are many fountain pens rolling around in random places in our house (One day, I found a Parker behind a toilet...). Anyway, I found this Montblanc 149 in my grandfather's old room. Is this pen real or fake? When was this pen made? Is that rust in the nib, or is the color supposed to be red?

Thank you.

William S. Park

post-113227-0-14155600-1453667746_thumb.jpg

post-113227-0-26433400-1453667755_thumb.jpg

post-113227-0-65906300-1453667778_thumb.jpg

post-113227-0-21460600-1453667787_thumb.jpg

post-113227-0-38222100-1453667796_thumb.jpg

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• zaddick

• william2001

• Peruvian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello,

it appears that you have found near mint Montblanc 149 fp - it original one probably from 1980's-2000's era. As for the patina on the nib is normal for the gold to oxidate. You can easily clean it to show the gold color.

Congrats on you found ;)

Hello,

it appears that you have found near mint Montblanc 149 fp - it original one probably from 1980's-2000's era. As for the patina on the nib is normal for the gold to oxidate. You can easily clean it to show the gold color.

Congrats on you found ;)

Thank you for your answer! This may sound like a dumb question... but how do you clean a nib? I tried washing it with water, but the red is not disappearing. :crybaby:

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

Thank you for your answer! This may sound like a dumb question... but how do you clean a nib? I tried washing it with water, but the red is not disappearing. :crybaby:

I'd leave it as it is but if you want, just use your finger to rub it.

My Website

Hello William, Lovely! Your pen dates from ca. 1991-92. There was a very brief period of time when the 149 had 14K nib, spilt ebonite feed, two-piece barrel AND the brass piston threads. Enjoy your family heirloom. Best wishes, Barry

Edited by Barry Gabay

Hello William, Lovely! Your pen dates from ca. 1991-92. There was a very brief period of time when the 149 had 14K nib, spilt ebonite feed, two-piece barrel AND the brass piston threads. Enjoy your family heirloom. Best wishes, Barry

+1 - only other option is a pen that was repaired for a broken piston in that era so the body was replaced, but they had not moved to plastic feeds yet. More likely that Barry has the correct answer.

You can use a silver polish cloth to remove the oxidization (maybe your parents have one for the silverware or jewelry) , but I prefer the nib that way as that color only comes with age. Here is an example of a nib that as been oxidizing probably since the mid 1960s (I have not had the pen that long).

fpn_1453677774__20160111_211311_resized.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Ouch. I'm trying very hard to not look at the picture of that poor nib above my post.

Anyway William, you have an authentic Montblanc Meisterstuck 149. I recommend that you just wipe your nib with a jewellery cloth to clean off the oxidation, and don't try doing what Zaddick did with his nib.

I would soak the pen in about 2 inches of water to clean old ink out of it if you didn't do that already. The ink window looks clean anyway.

Ouch. I'm trying very hard to not look at the picture of that poor nib above my post.

Anyway William, you have an authentic Montblanc Meisterstuck 149. I recommend that you just wipe your nib with a jewellery cloth to clean off the oxidation, and don't try doing what Zaddick did with his nib.

Not sure what the comment is about Chrissy. The nib is quite flexible. I was just taking a picture of the tine spread.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Not sure what the comment is about Chrissy. The nib is quite flexible. I was just taking a picture of the tine spread.

I'm one of those people who can't bear to see nibs with their tines spread like that

I'm one of those people who can't bear to see nibs with their tines spread like that

LOL Chrissy!! I know exactly what you mean. I don't know why, but it creeps the heck out of me to see flex nibs spread like that!!

Gold does not oxidize. I wondered what is it in 14k or 18k nibs that causes such discoloration, so I did a bit of online research. Apparently it is corrosion of the alloy metals reacting to chemicals (presumably in the inks). Some of my 14k nibs (especially on hard rubber Watermans) turn blue on a regular basis. I use Wenol or the like to remove the discoloration.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr