Odd Heritage 1912

CitricScorpion

Good day everyone.

First post here :)

Some days ago I purchased a Montblanc Heritage 1912 from a lady in Germany. This is my first Montblanc pen and I love the design. Unfortunately the pen did not come with a box or service booklet, but at the time I didn't think that would be an issue. The pen arrived and looked brand new: no microscratches or any blemishes. Nothing indicates the pen has even been filled or dipped in ink. Not even the infamous capping mark around the barrel was present (However, after capping the pen a few times I can see minor blemishes).

But the pen wouldn't write. After some testing it looks like it's a problem with the nib tipping. Ink does come out when I hold the tip to a napkin, but not on anything else. Not on cheap copy paper or on Clairefontaine. In fact, even when I dip the nib in ink it will not write a single stroke.

After inspecting the nib it looks like there is something seriously wrong with the tipping. I've attached some pictures (Sorry for the poor quality, I am using my phone with a taped on 20x Belomo loupe to take them). Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like a production fault and not a user-made fault.

Not quite sure what my options are. I thought of emailing Montblanc about the nib and see if they can still do something for me, if it really is a production error. (Despite not having a warranty). Perhaps I could give them the serial number and it would show up as being produced less than two years ago (it's a relatively new pen). But here's the kicker, It has no serial number.

The pen looks absolutely authentic to me. The retractable nib/piston mechanism works flawless and feels very smooth. It has the ''Made in germany'' under the clip. The star has that subtle but beautiful shimmer. Pictures of the pen are below. Notice the pictures of the two side of the cap band, where the serial number is supposed to be. I am quite sure this is a genuine pen, but find the missing number odd. All the Montblancs I've seen, genuine or cheap Chinese counterfeit, had a serial number.

Does anyone know something about this?

Thank you for your time.

http://i.imgur.com/WIn3FWN.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/KHqSF15.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/PSRQIav.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/du8WSVX.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/O3zq8uM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/76FD29G.jpg?1

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SE1980

• meiers

• CitricScorpion

• EclecticCollector

The serial number is supposed to be located on the top cap band on the left side of the clip (facing forward) which mine has and it states MBGC.......

If yours is completely omitted from the cap bands anywhere, might be 'relocated' somewhere else (but mine's on the cap band at least) and the tines you pictured seemed misaligned or 'modified'. Perhaps you can show a better pic of the nib taken from the top and by the way, does the pen take in ink at all?

I'm no pen expert but aesthetically, the pen seems genuine but there might be some changes to it. Mine was purchased from a local MB boutique 11 mths back.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

It appears to me that your tines have been slightly sprung. The tipping is fine, it is just too far apart to draw ink down to the paper via capillary action. Even with a warranty booklet Montblanc would likely attribute this to "user error" and charge for a repair. Are you able to return the pen to the seller as defective?

The serial number is supposed to be located on the top cap band on the left side of the clip (facing forward) which mine has and it states MBGC.......

If yours is completely omitted from the cap bands anywhere, might be 'relocated' somewhere else (but mine's on the cap band at least) and the tines you pictured seemed misaligned or 'modified'. Perhaps you can show a better pic of the nib taken from the top and by the way, does the pen take in ink at all?

I'm no pen expert but aesthetically, the pen seems genuine but there might be some changes to it. Mine was purchased from a local MB boutique 11 mths back.

Hi

I've inspected the pen again, there is no serial number to be found anywhere. The smooth design (as you probably know) has very little places to accommodate it. Even inspecting the cap band with the 20x loupe yielded no results :unsure: In the original post I've included pictures of both sides of the cap band.

Below are some pictures of the nib from different angles, and one comparing it to some other nibs (unfortunately I have no other Montblanc to compare it to) The filling mechanism works fine, and water comes out when I hold the nib to a tissue.

It appears to me that your tines have been slightly sprung. The tipping is fine, it is just too far apart to draw ink down to the paper via capillary action. Even with a warranty booklet Montblanc would likely attribute this to "user error" and charge for a repair. Are you able to return the pen to the seller as defective?

It very well could be. It was a private sale, but she may be willing to take it back. I'm trying to explore some options before doing that though. Depending on repair cost it may still be a good deal to go that way ;) But what I find most interesting is that the pen lacks any sort of serial number.

Thanks for the replies

http://i.imgur.com/f4XdaMtl.jpg?1http://i.imgur.com/EJMTwNOl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nmSDqP5l.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/g75WJpAl.jpg

Looks good to me on the nib, perhaps just the tines. No serial number being found anywhere is quite odd though. You may wish to bring the pen back.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

Mine does have a serial number. The absence of one on your pen is a mystery that bears investigating.

I suspect the clip may have been replaced by MB Service. This may explain the absence of the serial number.

I would send the pen to Montblanc for service and possibly ask the vendor to (help) pay for the repair.

Edited by meiers

The pen actually writes now. Thanks to the users who pointed out it may have to do something with the tines. I gently squeezed the tines together with my fingers and it seems to work. Only has some hard starting issues now, but at least it writes.

Mine does have a serial number. The absence of one on your pen is a mystery that bears investigating.

I suspect the clip may have been replaced by MB Service. This may explain the absence of the serial number.

When i enquired to MB service centre on replacing a damaged clip they confirmed one would be replaced without a serial number, so this could be a valid explanation - seeing the body was in 'as new' condition perhaps the seller severly damaged the pen and all parts replaced under a level 2 service retaining the original nib?

Good to know that!

The pen actually writes now. Thanks to the users who pointed out it may have to do something with the tines. I gently squeezed the tines together with my fingers and it seems to work. Only has some hard starting issues now, but at least it writes.

Mb service could make it write like a dream.

On another note: don't let water get into the mechanism behind the nib. Repeated exposure to water could damage the mechanism that retracts the nib.

Edited by meiers

Mb service could make it write like a dream.

On another note: don't let water get into the mechanism behind the nib. Repeated exposure to water could damage the mechanism that retracts the nib.

But if I need to flush with water if need to change ink, how?

But if I need to flush with water if need to change ink, how?

If you flush it like you fill the pen the mechanism is closed properly. Matt is pointing out; don't flush under the watertap upside down" (I think)

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):

Appelboom

If you flush it like you fill the pen the mechanism is closed properly. Matt is pointing out; don't flush under the watertap upside down" (I think)

Yes, that is a much better explanation. Thank you for saying it so clearly. Edited by meiers

Oh all right that sounds more direct. Thanks and also thanks meiers!

The replacement clip makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up :)

I'll be sure to keep those things in mind Meiers, thanks for the heads up.

Another tip: NEVER POST THE CAP. It is fragile. I learned that the hard way.

I never post any of my FP caps even if they can be posted. Even my Lamy 2000 one I also leave the cap on the table.

The Heritage 1912 wise, I know it can't be posted as there's also a 'pin' inside the centre of the cap that prevents it being posted.

Just remember one thing CitricScorpion, to enjoy your 1912 to the fullest! :P

I never post any of my FP caps even if they can be posted. Even my Lamy 2000 one I also leave the cap on the table.

The Heritage 1912 wise, I know it can't be posted as there's also a 'pin' inside the centre of the cap that prevents it being posted.

The purpose of the pin is to protect the nib. If you attempt capping the pen with the nib extended, the pin would come into contact with the nib feed thus preventing damage to the tines.