• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zwack

• proton007

• flummoxed

• Highbinder

When in Cannes one must make up for having only a 250 foot yacht, with a two million dollar watch and such a FP .... will do that....it is part of a set, yes?

Would more than likely have to put a better nib on it....maxi-semi-flex.

Well, just think of how many folks keep their jobs by making status gadgets....but to tell you the truth I'd get a Purdey/Boss/Holland&Holland shotgun first. :drool: :puddle: :notworthy1: Have to add a bit to the price over the fountain pen of course.

Can't show it off on the conference table of course.

The stock alone of a Purdey costs 15,000 pounds....and is worth every cent of it....god what wood, what depth the still secrete polish gives it. It is the best man and machine can make, accent on man. The basic engraving is perfect...any mistake and months of work is thrown away on the engraved parts.

Pictures do not do justice.

The FP is a frill, a Purdey is not a frill but part of the wardrobe of some one very well off. And is fitted just a closely as a Seville Row suit.

OK, that fountain pen is something some one more than well off has to wear. Would need a signature nib of course.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

If that's what you call useless, what will you say about pen pen with tourbillon?

I would call it gaudy. Just not quite as gaudy as the other pen..

I just find it absolutely mind bending that someone would spend so much money on something so ugly, and dare I say it unnecessary. I 'get' luxury goods, but c'mon this is a product for someone with more (MUCH) money than sense.

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

De gustibus non es disputandum.

Richard Mille is better known for his watches, and while they also are mind-blowingly expensive and have absolutely no aesthetic draw to me (even aside from the price), I at least admire someone creating and espousing a unique design philosophy in a mostly anodyne marketplace.

It occurs to me that this pen would make a great gift for an animator, such as either of the brothers Quay, or Adam Jones.

Not to point out that horse standing behind the cart too forcefully, but why does the nib retract?

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Not to point out that horse standing behind the cart too forcefully, but why does the nib retract?

Because it can. It isn't like the Pilot vanishing nib pens, because you need to put the cap on to reset the nib and wind the movement.

An ingenious solution for a problem that doesn't need solving.

I was thinking someone figured out a way to maintain a constant ink flow using some mechanical trickery, something on the lines of a dial to tune the amount of flow you desire, and have it maintained until the pen runs out of ink.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

It occurs to me that this pen would make a great gift for an animator, such as either of the brothers Quay, or Adam Jones.

There have been capped pens with retractable nibs before, just not clockwork ones; you would twist something to retract the nib before capping. I think there were some fairly old vintage designs like this; I have a more modern (and much cheaper version) the Stypen Up. I think the main idea is that you're less likely to have an accident and get ink on your fingers when you uncap it. Not really necessary, no doubt, but it is a reason.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Because it can.

An ingenious solution for a problem that doesn't need solving.

Right, that's my assumption too.

There have been capped pens with retractable nibs before...

I guess I just wondered how the whole thing went from, say, the designer ruminating on safety pens, to the product we see, with all of the investment in time and money. -- The justification, the imperative, what kept the locomotive running. Just a toy for the rich, I guess, with some pay-off foreseen. Well, we'll all be able to enjoy it someday in a museum -- like an 18th century automaton without charm or music, just a brief whir of gears.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

I had a look at the website. It's not only this pen that's embellished with unnecessary mechanical show-off. Take a look at the watches. Most of them are horrendous, in my (utilitarian) point of view.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

I actually like the way it looks and am intrigued by the watch gears/pen combination, but the price is quite ridiculous, despite the intricacy of the mechanism. Still, I like demonstrators and being able to see the ink slosh around in the pen; think of the hours of entertainment you could have watching the gears go round and round.

I was hoping that the mechanism was somehow also set up to fill the pen, too, but no, just another boring cartridge "filler" - doubt that you find a converter that fit. Moot point, anyway - at that price, the pen's primary use seems to be as a status symbol - look what I have that you will never have - as opposed to a fine writing instrument. The reviewer wasn't even allowed to write with the pen and the website for Richard Mille doesn't even mention that the pen has a nib, lol.

Somebody will have a fun new toy; certainly won't be me.

Holly