When To Replace A Cartridge Converter?

episkey

Hello! Sorry in advance for a noob question, but this is the first time I've encountered the problem...

When I was cleaning my Parker Sonnet this weekend, I noticed that there was a bit of a leak in the section of my fountain pen. I've noticed that my Parker has been drying up faster than usual lately.

Does it mean this is time to replace my converter?

(I'm guessing yes, but when I refilled my pen, I made sure that my converter was securely put in place... I'll keep an eye on it and see if it leaks some more.)

How often do you usually replace converters in your fountain pens?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• episkey

• Venemo

• Starguard

Top Posters In This Topic

I had that happen once, and I looked very closely at the converter where it joins the feed and it had cracked. Put in a spare and problem solved!

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

It is possible that the section itself has cracked, not the converter. But yeah, it's also entirely possible that you just need a new converter. :)

I have a Lamy Al Star I purchased new in the late 1990's. I still am using the original converter. Until December 2012 it was one of only two pens I had so got used a lot.

So it is possible for a converter to last an extended period of time without issue. But, just because I have had this experience doesn't mean someone else wouldn't have a different one.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Converter should also get less wear and tear if cleaned/flushed while still installed on the pen as opposed to being removed every time.

Some people will remove the converter in order to flush their nib unit with a bulb.

I personnaly never removed my converters. I am able to clean/flush them completely without having to remove them.

Mike L.

I have used converters of several makes, and they usually last about ten years before the piston starts to accumulate enough wear that it doesn't seal and the converter won't pull in ink.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I had that happen once, and I looked very closely at the converter where it joins the feed and it had cracked. Put in a spare and problem solved!

I'll look closely next time I clean my pen! Good to know.

It is possible that the section itself has cracked, not the converter. But yeah, it's also entirely possible that you just need a new converter. :)

I'm hoping that the section isn't cracked. This sounds scary.

Converter should also get less wear and tear if cleaned/flushed while still installed on the pen as opposed to being removed every time.

Some people will remove the converter in order to flush their nib unit with a bulb.

I personnaly never removed my converters. I am able to clean/flush them completely without having to remove them.

I usually don't remove my converter either since that just seems like a lot more work to me. :blush: But I was switching to a completely new ink so I wanted to "deep clean".

Overall, it was good to know that some converters have lasted others 10+ years! I really wasn't sure how long these things lasted before...

Thanks for all the feedback!

• 4 weeks later...

What style of converter do you have? I've eventually had to replace several of the slide style converters in favor of the twist design ones (and yes, they cost more money). But you have to be a bit careful, depending on the model -- I put an older style twist converter into an Urban and it got stuck and broke, because it was too big in diameter. OTOH, the replacement (slide) converter Parker sent me eventually got stuck in the barrel and I had to send the pen back to Parker AGAIN (at least it was still under the extended warranty).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

A bit of silicon on those converter pump mech and seal helps.

I have done this. I used a tiny grain of silicone on a thin toothpick through the ink orifice to lube the piston. Later, having some ink flow issues with the Sonnet, I wondered if some bit of silicone had clogged the feed. I have left off doing this.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I replace a converter when it give me trouble. I've had 2 Sheaffer converters where the seal at the front cracked, and leaked ink all over. My wife has had 2 Waterman converters go bad, one developed a crack in the cylinder, and the other a bad seal. But I've not had any of my Parker converters go out on me.

Seat the converter down, and it should be OK. If it leaks from that junction, either the seal on the front of the converter has failed (replace the converter) or the nipple on the back of the section has cracked (send to Parker for repair).

The pen drying up normally has no relation to the converter. But an air/ink leak could cause the ink in the feed to flow back to the converter or out the leak. That would dry up the pen.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com