Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)

Frank66

Richard,

Thanks for your post. In all honesty, and according to my almost month-old experience of daily use, the #250 Bock nib unit and the BeaufortInk ink converter fit together so perfectly with each other and within the Kaigelu 316 pen, that I have not had any issues with ink leakage whatsoever. This is spite the fact that I use to daily carry my pen in my shirt or trouser pockets.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/IMG_0477_zpspwlre3ni.jpg

The advantage to the above modification is that it gives the pen owner the chance to experiment with other Bock nibs that can fit the #250 Bock housing, ranging in size from EF to 1.5mm Italics. It is neither difficult technically to do nor is it too expensive.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/IMG_0476_zpsmyfrwwlx.jpg

I hope this might prove useful to other pen enthusiasts willing to experiment with their awesome Kaigelu 316s. I welcome all input from other FPN members who wish to share their own experience with this modification, and who might potentially wish to try to take it even further.

Regards,

Photios

PS: I have no affiliation to Kaigelu pens, Bock nibs or BeaufortInk, although I do acknowledge that Phil at BeaufortInk kindly provided assistance with picking the right components, after providing him, by email, with the right pen component measurements.

Edited by Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank66

• amberleadavis

• garyc

• Phil_Dart

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a follow-up of my original post, I would like to add a few pictures describing the dimensions of (i) the original Kaigelu pen components and (ii) the replacement components, namely, the #6 (250 ) Bock housing and the BeaufortInk converter. I did not wish to get too technical, but some numbers are added for people who might be interested, whether their own components that they have within reach, would be appropriate for this Kaigelu pen nib modification.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/IMG_0517_zpsakdrqlqx.jpg

Fig 1. Upper picture: from top to bottom the Kaigelu and #6 Bock housing connected respectively to Kaigelu and BeaufortInk cartridge converters. Lower Image: the picture above under x10 magnification.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/IMG_0518_zpsssogymjg.jpg

Fig 2. Upper Left: nipple of Kaigelu housing; Upper Right: Kaigelu housing and cartridge converter connected together; Lower Left: Nipple of Bock #250 housing; Lower Right: Bock housing connected to BeaufortInk converter. Note the Bock housing recess around the feed nipple and the reinforced metal collar around the corresponding converter opening. These features allow for a very secure connection.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/IMG_0531_zpsu5bibqyz.jpg

Fig 3. The empty Kaigelu (left) and full with ink BeaufortInk cartridge (right) converters under magnification.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/IMG_0532_zpsvojnghrx.jpg

Fig 4. Kaigelu cartridge converter and housing dimensions. Upper left: internal diameter of converter aperture; Upper right: external converter diameter. Pictured below is the measurement of the external diameter of Kaigelu nipple.

Kaigelu cartridge converter and housing dimensions:

Kaigelu converter aperture internal diameter 2.69mm

Kaigelu converter external diameter 6.51mm

Kaigelu housing nipple external diameter 2.59mm

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/IMG_0526_zps2dxgxqke.jpg

Fig 5. BeaufortInk cartridge converter and #6 Bock housing dimensions. Upper left: internal diameter of converter aperture; Upper right: external converter diameter. Pictured below is measurement of the external diameter of the nipple of the #6 Bock housing.

BeaufortInk cartridge converter and Bock housing dimensions.

BeaufortInk converter aperture internal diameter 2.45mm

BeaufortInk converter external diameter 7.09mm

Bock housing nipple external diameter 2.41mm

The BeaufortInk cartridge converter (c/c) looks exactly like it fits the dimensions of Standard International Cartridge Converter, which can be used with most fountain pens, except pens that use proprietary c/c's like the Pilot, Platinum, Sailor, Parker, Cross, Sheaffer, Lamy , etc

I hope this was useful to people who want to attempt their Kaigelu pen modification.

Regards,

Photios

Edited by Frank66

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this was useful to people who want to attempt their Kaigelu pen modification.

Regards,

Photios

Photios,

it certainly was useful, thanks so much for taking the time to post such meticulously detailed information, much appreciated.

I have 3 of these pens and have just completed replacing the finials for the remaining 2 of the 3 yesterday, having done the first a year when I first got them from Richard. I have been reasonably happy with the nibs, but the prospect of trying an F or EF and also a 1.1 italic is very tempting.

Regards,

Gary

Gary,

Thanks for your kind words about this thread. I am also thinking of replacing the finials in my 2 Kaigelu's with new ones from Richard. How did it work out for you, was it easy procedure to carry out?

Regards,

Photios

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/IMG_0601_zpsr0u1wchd.jpg

Edited by Frank66

The technical skills and expertise available on this blog are incredible. What a read, and with illustrations! I am in awe of you all.

One question from deep in my musty memory bank: did Richard come up with lightweight resin replacements for those heavyweight caps?

Gary,

Thanks for your kind words about this thread. I am also thinking of replacing the finials in my 2 Kaigelu's with new ones from Richard. How did it work out for you, was it easy procedure to carry out?

Regards,

Photios

It's a very easy procedure, just requiring standing the barrel in nearly boiling water (with some in the barrel itself) for 3 minutes or so and then using pliers to twist out the old finial. Just be careful not to snick the metal washer as you do so. Also cover the new finial with tape as you glue the washer and finial into the barrel to save having to clean excess glue off the finial. First time I used superglue, perhaps not the best option and difficult to remove traces of it on the new finial. I had to use nail polish remover.

Regards,

Gary

Dickkooty2, Thanks for your kind words about this thread.

Gary, thank you very much for describing the finial procedure for me, it seems quite straight-forward. I am really looking forward to hearing when Richard is going to come up with his new finials. People who watch FPN forums are quite anxious about it too. Of course no pressure on Richard, but we are really hoping to hear about the good news pretty soon. Regards, Photios

Just to report that I have (finally) managed to replace the standard Kaigelu nib, feed and housing on one of my pens with a Bock #6 1.1 italic and the Beaufort converter.

This was by no means easy - the nib and feed just pulled out but the housing was stuck fast and required about 5 or 6 soaks in boiled water and use of an ultrasonic bath. I used a cut off syringe needle cover to push out the housing as described by Photios. After much tapping and pushing (rubber gloves to hold the section were essential) eventually the housing started to push out a few mm. It still needed another 5 minute soak and with alot of push effort before it finally came completely free. It took me over an hour from start to finish.

Inside the section there was alot of glue debris (I have a photo which I will post later) so perhaps some examples are glued more securely than others. Certainly the finial was much easier to release. Perhaps twisting the whole nib/feed/housing to begin with might break the glue seal better.

After reassembly a quick dip test went fine, then I screwed on the converter and filled it. Unfortunately I immediately became aware of a tiny leak around the gold ring at the tip of the housing. It was not quite pushed in fully, so with a push and a twist it was ok, pehaps not perfectly sealed but useable. But the next time I need to re-fill I think I will disassemble, flush and clean then just add a small smear of silicone grease around the housing before fitting again. Certainly nib swaps and replacements will be much easier if no adhesive is used. Maybe shellac could also be used.

Although it was a bit of a trial I definitely think it was worth it. The Bock is certainly up to the standard of other similar italics I have used (Pilot Pluminix, Lamy Safari, Nemosine).

Gary, thanks for your posting about the nib replacement of your Kaigelu 316. Fortunately, in my case it was relatively easy to remove the original Kaigelu nib housing. In both of my 2 Kaigelu 316s it came loose just when I was trying to remove the nib out of the pen section.

Like yourself, I have not permanently attached my new Bock nib housing to the pen section, I just want to try out different nibs in the future. As a matter of fact, I was getting ready to order a new Bock 1.1 italic nib like yours, when I saw your post. It is going to be my first 1.1 italic, so I was quite hesitant as I like mostly XF nibs. I was thinking, if I may not like the 1.1 italic, I may be able to grind it to a finer (0.7 mm) stub. It would be most intriguing for me if you could possibly provide a writing sample with the new nib if and whenever you find a chance.

Again, may you enjoy your new pen for a long-long time... Regards, Photios

Edited by Frank66

It's a very easy procedure, just requiring standing the barrel in nearly boiling water (with some in the barrel itself) for 3 minutes or so and then using pliers to twist out the old finial.

Tonight, when I pulled the nib and feed out, the nib housing came with it, without any need for hot water at all. Fantastic, I thought, Bock 250 nib unit, a broad Bock nib, and a couple of Beaufort converters he we come (that will definitely happen).

Next I thought I would spend a few minutes with boiling water and rubber grip-sheets to pull off the barrel finial.

Few minutes!!! Here I am, an hour later, after 6 changes of boiling water, with sore fingers (from friction), a patchwork of paint and brass on the finial (from friction), but with the lovely little thing still clinging resolutely in the end of the barrel despite me shouting at it and calling it names that I wouldn't let my children hear me using. I'm going to try one last boil, followed by a brute-force attempt with some pliers (listen for the sound of a cracked barrel and some swearing hailing from the north east of England (you'll hear it in California and Australia!!). As a last resort I shall go from heat to freeze, just to try something different, and then report back.

See you in 30 minutes.

Cheers,

David.

Hey, I am no expert to talk here, since I have only done the Bock nib replacement procedure and have not done the finial change yet, but may I offer my 2 cents of wisdom:

- Try modestly pushing the finial into to barrel just before trying to pry it out. Sometimes this works for me when I am trying to remove 2 items apart.

- Alternatively, try slightly twisting the finial as you try to pry it out. That may help also break the bond. Be careful not to crack the barrel.

- Try a combination of the above procedures.

Please be careful, use your judgement, take your time and do not lose your calm. Best wishes for success, please report back with your results. Good Luck, Photios

Edited by Frank66

Success!

The finial has conceded defeat -- I'm not sure if it was the pliers or the swearing that defeated it.

OK, off to Beaufortinks and to hunt a source for a light-weight finial. I shall leave it with an undistinguished open end in the interim. As other commentators have noted, it is so much better balanced without the brass dumb-bell on the end.

David.

Thanks, Photios, there was a bit of immoderate language ... but it was controlled rage! You were right, it was a strange hybrid of pushing, pulling, twisting, moderate rocking, and determination not to be defeated by a small inanimate object. Once I had acknowledged that the finial would lose its handsome looks in the extraction process, the use of the pliers was decisive.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am now excited about a Bock nib or two (plus a couple of Beaufort converters).

David.

David, glad to hear about your success with the barrel finial removal. You won't be disappointed with the Bock nib housing replacement either. My Bock nib draws ink from the Beaufort converter by capillary action so well, that I can write without skipping while I am holding my Kaigelu pen upside down. Once you have completed the nib replacement, you will see, this is a new pen altogether.

To celebrate your success, I am posting below a macro photo of the cap finial of the Kaigelu pen with the Kangaroo image. It may be slightly out of focus, but please note the baby kangaroo resting in mother Kangaroo's pouch. It is an awesome pen after all... Regards, Photios.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/0284EFC7-0FD1-4F62-B08C-51262CF87B96_zps9spmhonv.jpg

Edited by Frank66

Was amused to read the_gasman's problems with the finial, although I do have to say that a pair of mole grips did short work of mine. With a a recalcitrant housing, the options for removal are much more limited. One problem being of course that holding the section tight while you try to push/tap the housing out is tricky without scratching or damaging it. I just held mine in one hand while pressing/tapping the sawn-off hypodermic needle cover with my other hand/small hammer.

Now I do have some pictures including a writing sample to post, but that will have to wait til tomorrow, possibly Sunday as my day is filled tomorrow so I may not have time. I compared the Bock 1.1 with a Lamy Safari 1.1, Nemosine Singularity 0.6 and Pilot Pluminix italic. The Bock is not as wide as the number might suggest. Certainly a TWSBI 1.1 was much wider and one that I didn't like at all, swapping it out for an EF in the end. I'd say the Bock is narrower than the Lamy and crisper, though not as crisp as the Pilot. Anyway, I'll try to get the sample pic up as soon as I can.

Hi folks

Back in the day, I used section / spark plug boot pliers to remove the brass finial. That will save it a mauling, and you have the option of keeping it as a spare!

If they've changed the glue used since I swapped mine (I've removed 2 but they were both a few years ago now) to something more potent, you could always try tapping the finial out from the inside (handily it's hollow), using a drift and hammer. That should also preserve the exterior finish.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Flounder, thanks for your very useful input. Regards Photios

Edited by Frank66

OK, here are the writing samples.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/garyjc_photos/DSC03439writing-1-1.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/garyjc_photos/DSC03440-writing-2.jpg

Now some shots of the nibs, first the Bock 1.1 (left) and the Kaigelu standard M:

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/garyjc_photos/KaigeluM-Bock1-1.jpg

Now all the nibs used in the writing samples (L to R Kagelu M, Bock 1.1, Lamy 1.1, Nemosine 0.6, Pilot Puminix (in a Prera):

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/garyjc_photos/five-nibs-exp-crop.jpg

If there is one thing to note it's that the physical breadth of the nib doesn't always correspond to the written line. I think of all those nibs, the Nemosine 0.6 was my favourite. For some reason the Pilot was writing quite dry, perhaps running a little low on ink I think. It does, however, produce the crispest line. The Lamy is very smooth but is perhaps a tad too broad for my liking. But the Kaigelu with the Bock does very well as a compromise for line width, smoothness of writing and crispness of line edge.

I should just add that I first had the TWSBI (Diamond 580 RB) with a 1.1 but it was much too broad and a bit erratic and temperamental with ink flow, so I replaced it with an EF. I was a little apprehensive that the Bock would turn out the same, but it's a much narrower line and also narrower and crisper than the Lamy.

Finally here's a shot of the section after I managed to remove the housing:

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/garyjc_photos/housing-glue.jpg

Hope this was useful, as one is wont to say.

Gary,

Sorry I could not get back to you earlier. On behalf of all thread viewers, I would like to thank you for taking all the time and effort to post your meticulously handwritten notes, as well as the pictures of your italics pens and nibs for all of us to share and compare, we are all very grateful indeed.

As you show in your post, the original Kaigelu nib has quite a moderate stubbish characteristic to it, it is quite a unique pen, I do not know of any other Chinese pen with a stubbish nib, and this is indicative of the talent and savvy of this pen maker.

We are also in agreement here that the Bock nibs are wet enough. I only have used the EF and F #250 housing Stainless Steel Bock nibs, but I can attest to the fact that the combination of the new nib/feed/converter makes for quite a wet pen. As I have written before, I can hold the pen upside down (I mean the actual pen, the nib pointing to the ceiling) and write without skipping forever, that is how good the Bock nib/feed/Beaufortink converter combo works in this pen.

As far as the Pilot Prera with the Pilot Plumix italic nib is concerned, your writing sample looks awesome. I have been having my looks on a lime green or slate gray Prera for a while now, if I could find a Plumix italic or stub nib to match it, that would be great. Local pen stores here do not carry the Plumix anymore, I would have to look into amazon or ebay. As a side note, and I do not mean to be caustic here, but funny thing is, pen stores perhaps make more money selling more expensive pens, so extraordinary inexpensive pens like the Plumix unfortunately does not get the place they deserve.

The Nemosine Singularity was an eye opener for me as I really liked how you wrote with it. Do these pens still come with 0.6mm nibs and how can one get one in Europe? It looks like an awesome pen ...

The Lamy italic, I agree, is too broad for my liking too. Furthermore, I completely follow your remark that "the physical breadth of the nib doesn't always correspond to the written line.."

May I also compliment you on your selection of different Diamine ink shades you used, at least to me it shows a person with similar taste. I checked the Goulet site and there are like 158 selections under Diamine inks? This is awesome... Unfortunately, we do not have access to these wonderful inks in my country, not to my knowledge.

And last but not least, may I congratulate you, Greg, on your successful Kaigelu nib replacement. From now on, I will make it a habit to post a picture of the Kaigelu cap finial, with the mother kangarro and the baby kangaroo in her pouch (marsupium), every time a forum member is kind enough to post a picture of his/her Kaigelu nib replacement and thus lets us know about it. Please note at the periphery of the finial, the swarm of 18 birds (looks like they could possibly be martins or swallows, the birds that herald the coming of spring, according to some traditions) flying in a cycle around the kangaroos. There is a lot of art in this pen finial indeed!! So as a congratulatory note to you, here it is:

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/78A68183-CE10-4F00-8634-51D63C3783AB_zpsb1rnadjf.jpg

Regards, Photios

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS: Speaking of babies, human this time, today we are all in this country in awe of the pictures of a baby born in a tent at a Syrian refugee camp, at the Greek / former Yugoslavia border, where refugees gather in hopes of crossing the border into central Europe. I did not mean to be political, and I am hoping I am not crossing the line here as this is a pen forum only, but speaking of mother-baby relationship as even depicted in pen finials, here is the link in "The Guardian" for whomever might be interested: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/12/refugee-camp-baby-photo-prompts-greece-transfer-promise

Edited by Frank66

Just to answer the questions Photios's posed:

Yes the Pluminix (Plumix is that same but with a longer tapered barrel) has long gone from the shops. I picked a couple up about 10 years ago from a stationers shop in Winchester. They can still be found on eBay for about £15, or one seller is offering 3 Pluminixes for £30. A possible alternative is a seller in Hong Kong who is offering the 78G for £10 in 4 colours with a B italic which, according to a long term review here on FPN, is narrower than the Lamy 1.1. I've just ordered one to try - it comes with a Pilot squeeze converter and a pack of cartridges. I do have (somewhere) a 78G with BB italic, which was very wide. I'm guessing this B will lie somewhere between the Pluminix and the BB. It may wind up in one of the MR2s I bought in funky colours recently.

The Nemosine was, I seem to remember, difficult to find at a reasonable price in Europe, as it involved shipping from the US. I think I obtained mine just about 18 months ago and just happened on a reasonable offer for the 0.6mm italic in the clear demonstrator version. Looking at eBay now, I can't see any for sale.

I ordered some 30mm bottles of Diamine direct the from their .co.uk website, free delivery in the UK for orders over £10 (with a free test sample). Order was placed on a Monday lunchtime and delivered before Midday on Tuesday. I was astounded and very impressed. Not sure what their rates are like to Europe though. I think the closest distributers to you is in Turkey.