Gatorboy

I have been researching and I cannot seem to find many reviews for the Sheaffer Sagaris, Prelude, or the Agio. Yes, I know, the Agio was discontinued a while back, but there are many people on Ebay that seem to have them NOS for around 30-40 dollars. They were supposedly super smooth writers according to some people. As for the Sagaris, not many people seem to talk about it much.

Mainly what I want to ask is: How does the Sheaffer Sagaris compare with the Agio, Prelude, and the 300? I have heard the 300 tends to have a little more feedback than the others. The others I have not ever heard being compared before.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gatorboy

• pajaro

• northstar

• lyonlover

Sagaris is nice. It carried some of the design elements from things like the Imperial. The Prelude has been a good pen, but the metal used in the nib of the newer Chinese made Preludes is a bit soft, so the nib can bend. I don't particularly care for the Agio, and the 300 looks like any other cheap, over chromed Chinese pen.

I do like the Tiranus. The nibs I've tried have had a nice feel to them, and the pen in general feels nice and solid.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Thanks! I have a particular interest specifically in Sheaffer pens just due to their classic look. They are classic but not too classic if you get what I mean.

For example, Sailor 1911 capped looks almost identical to a Montblanc Meisterstuck capped and a Platinum 3776 capped. However, the Sheaffer ones are classic in the way that you know it's a Sheaffer and not anything else even if it's capped. Well I could be totally wrong, I'm sure there might be a lot of other pens that look like the old Sheaffers, so don't take me up on that, as I'm just saying that based on all of the pens I've seen while researching. I've done a lot and I mean a LOT of researching....stupid fountain penitis...hopefully this won't eventually lead me to excessive spending of money on pens. Because I know I will eventually find one that I really like and pretty much only use it and ignore the others, rendering the money spent pointless in the long run.

Anyways, people also say that they have amazing (if not perfect) quality control compared to most manufacturers and that they also tend to have really smooth steel nibs.

I currently only have a Pilot Metropolitan. I originally would have started out with a Sheaffer VFM, but then I realized it was a cartridge fill only pen. Cartridge fill seems to be much more expensive and not near as fun as a converter.

If you haven't read this review about the Sheaffer Taranis, you should.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/247931-sheaffer-taranis-stormy-night-a-review/

It's pretty thorough.

I came close to buying one at FPH is NYC when they had them discounted, due to Sheaffer discontinuing the original colors, but they sold out before I got to the shop just a few days later.

Personally, I think it is most dynamic design Sheaffer has come out with since the Intrigue.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

If you haven't read this review about the Sheaffer Taranis, you should.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/247931-sheaffer-taranis-stormy-night-a-review/

It's pretty thorough.

I came close to buying one at FPH is NYC when they had them discounted, due to Sheaffer discontinuing the original colors, but they sold out before I got to the shop just a few days later.

Personally, I think it is most dynamic design Sheaffer has come out with since the Intrigue.

Yeah I love the design of the Taranis as well. Although the big chrome thing on the grip area looks very slippery. It's also a little more pricey than the other steel Sheaffers. I'm kinda iffy on the Taranis basically. I don't know how the nib of the Taranis compares with the nib of the Sagaris or the Prelude either. I've only ever heard they all write fantastic and smooth with slight enjoyable feedback. Nobody has ever really said which one is the best for their price. Some people say there are slight differences of how the nib feels but never really say what they like better.

Also, I really wish Sheaffer would bring back snorkel fillers. Their most beloved addition to pen filling and they choose to bring back only the inlaid nibs instead. Also, speaking of nibs, why inlaid nibs instead of the triumph nibs? From what I've heard the triumph nibs were (And still are) very popular when it comes to the old Sheaffers.

If you can, the Sheaffer Legacy pens are superb writers and feel great in the hand....

Just my 2¢.......

:)

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

If you can, the Sheaffer Legacy pens are superb writers and feel great in the hand....

Just my 2¢.......

:)

Mark

Haha as much as I would love to get a Legacy Heritage, I would rather work my way up to that price. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the way inlaid nibs are. If something happens to it, you wouldn't be able to get a replacement. If money wasn't so much of a constraint though, I would totally buy one without hesitation.

The Valor is the nicest of the recent Sheaffer pens (besides the Legacy Heritage, which I don't like as much as the Legacy I or II) and many places still have some older Valors.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Haha as much as I would love to get a Legacy Heritage, I would rather work my way up to that price. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the way inlaid nibs are. If something happens to it, you wouldn't be able to get a replacement. If money wasn't so much of a constraint though, I would totally buy one without hesitation.

Whatever works for you....

FWIW, those inlaid nibs are really sweet writers....and you can get replacements....

But again, whatever works for you.....

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

I can't comment on the Taranis, but the Sagaris is a nice, well made pen. It's looks are rather pedestrian but the nib is very nice and smooth. The Peludes are very good pens for the money as well and you can find them in different finishes and more nib sizes than you can for the Sagaris.

I actually like my 300, but you should know they are rather heavy. For that reason I would not recommend it.

Would you consider, instead, a NOS in the "Imperial" style if you don't already have any? Look, for example, at the models offered by Peyton Street Pens (no connection other than being a satisfied customer). These are unused pens, checked over and refurbished where necessary, and come guaranteed. I started with the Imperial Deluxe II. I have purchased several others, made from the '60's through the '90's, from Peyton and eBay sellers and have rarely been disappointed. Most have cost no more than about $50. You can also communicate with Teri Morris via email or phone to discuss your needs and her recommendations. It sounds as if I'm her salesperson but I'm not. It's just that she was very helpful getting me started in building a modest collection of Shaeffers to add to my user rotation.

Would you consider, instead, a NOS in the "Imperial" style if you don't already have any? Look, for example, at the models offered by Peyton Street Pens (no connection other than being a satisfied customer). These are unused pens, checked over and refurbished where necessary, and come guaranteed. I started with the Imperial Deluxe II. I have purchased several others, made from the '60's through the '90's, from Peyton and eBay sellers and have rarely been disappointed. Most have cost no more than about $50. You can also communicate with Teri Morris via email or phone to discuss your needs and her recommendations. It sounds as if I'm her salesperson but I'm not. It's just that she was very helpful getting me started in building a modest collection of Shaeffers to add to my user rotation.

I've been thinking about it, I will probably eventually get a NOS pen from that time period. It's just so hard to decide. I am currently thinking about maybe going for the Sagaris with the two toned gold plating. Although getting a NOS Imperial would also be really cool. I take a while to make a final decision haha this could last weeks for me. But thank you everyone for helping me out.

Since my decision will probably last weeks, I'm still open to any advice.

• 1 month later...

I love the Intrigue. I admit I do not trust, and therefore have not tried, filling mine with the convertor/piston. But I love popping in a cartridge and twisting while I listen to the eerie cranking sound. Intrigues are weightier than the NOS Imperials and have the same smooth nib. The design appeals to me, although I can see how it might not appeal to everyone. And yes, capping the pen is a challenge but I am sure that doing so will enhance my concentration skills over time.

I second this. Forget the Prelude.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Try to have fun searching for and then buying your first Sheaffer. We should warn you this is going to cost you! You will want two or three more nice Sheaffers within a few months. And you will want more inks. Storage. Sleeves and cases. Fine papers. Notebooks.

I have about a dozen NOS Sheaffers from the 1960-80 era, all but two from Peyton Street Pens. My favorite is the 550 with an inlaid gold nib.

If I were just starting with Sheaffer fountain pens, I'd decide by price alone and I'd know up front that I'm destined to buy a couple more inexpensive pens before I'm happy with feel, writing quality, nib-ness, and barrel color.

And then I'm going to want a VERY fine Sheaaffer fountain pen.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I've recently bought a Sheaffer 440 from Teri and I love it so much. Very very smooth. A $48 pen that's worth a $480 pen.

Greetings, Ruud

A good fountainpen is an edc reliable writing tool

Congratulations Ruud. You now have a good looking pen you like very much, it should last a long time and it didn't cost you very much at all!

• 1 month later...

The Sheaffer 100 is also interesting ... moreso than the 300 (imo) ... it has a chrom grip section (nicer than the plastic on the 300) and comes in a lot of different colours. It's also the cheapest of the lot (VFM excepted, but don't go there).

I purchased a very low priced forest green Taranis from amazon.ca last week ... but I sent it back (twice) because it came with the Scuderia Ferrair nib instead. It fielt really nice. It was smooth. I might get one from a real pen retailer in the future.

A 444 looks nice. The metal barrel might stand up to abuse better than the plastic one on the 440, and I really like the "flighter"-esque look. Also, extra nibs are plentiful and can be had at a fairly affordable price.

Also look at the Targa. It's a thinner, heavier pen, but is a great writer, and very tough. Targa nibs are even more plentiful than Imperial nibs.

PSP has the 444 at a nice price (Is 70s modern?) with a steel nib, and Targas are everywhere on Fleabay. I've never seen a 444 before, but I think it would be better than the Targa as it's marginally wider (thus more comfortable for my 8" hands) and has Sheaffer's great inner-spring clip.

Edit: speling

Edited by lyonlover